Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Question for Lubavitchers about Potato Starch

amother

Post Tue, Mar 27 2007, 12:38 pm
I would like someone to explain to me the deal with potato starch. I don't use anything processed on Pesach, but as this is only my second year making Pesach and I am BT (so is DH and thus no minhag to follow), I would like to know the ins and outs b4 we chose to either use it this year or not use it since this year will be the chazaka.

Is is like sugar wherein some of you use it b4 Pesach? We use boiled sugar so I am not sure if it even makes sense to contimplate using Potato starch at all.

Any advice would be great.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Mar 27 2007, 12:41 pm
Are you talking about baking cakes or...

greenfire

Post Tue, Mar 27 2007, 12:58 pm
some people actually make their own ... but I hear a ton of potatoes only makes an insignificant amount ... and then you are stuck with lots of potatoe kugel ...

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Mar 27 2007, 2:20 pm
I saw that this year, in house of Glatt there is potato starch with CHK available. (maybe elsewhere too). If I would use PS, that would be the one I get.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Mar 27 2007, 4:43 pm
Green, can you use the potatoes for fries or soup or something else?

binah918

Post Wed, Mar 28 2007, 3:06 am
We don't buy the prepackaged starch and I have NO patience to make my own. But last year, my first year amking Pesach, we did just fine without it.

poelmamosh

Post Wed, Mar 28 2007, 9:02 am
if you have a juice extractor, you get much more potato starch from each potato. but I get a couple tablespoons from the liquid produced from (squeezing) the grated potato of just 1 kugel, which is enough for lokshin or to add to an apple kugel.

poelmamosh

Post Wed, Mar 28 2007, 9:03 am
I also posted elsewhere that you can used cooked, grated potatoes in lots of recipes instead of starch (just leave out some liquid). cakes, too,

bashinda

Post Wed, Mar 28 2007, 9:08 am
I think I'm getting someone's juice extractor for Pesach actually. I still don't know if I will make potato starch however. It sound like a patchke. I wish I could see the process before making it myself.

greenfire

Post Wed, Mar 28 2007, 9:10 am
chocolate moose wrote:
Green, can you use the potatoes for fries or soup or something else?

While I've never made it myself cause I just buy it - I'm familiar with the method... the potatoes need to be grated and squeezed ... I can imagine a potatoe soup ... but never really made one ... what about ... browning them with some onions and garlic ... sounds good too ...

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Mar 28 2007, 3:34 pm
BasHinda, it's only a week, we do without it, but you can always think about it for next year!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics