Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
How much matzah do we need?

yedidya's mom

Post Wed, Mar 21 2007, 8:41 pm
this is my first year making pessach and I'm trying to figure out how much matzah to buy. we are only going to be home for the second half- from friday of chol hamoed and on. we are just 2 ppl but we may be having a few guests for 2 of the yomtov meals. is there a way to calculate how many pounds/kilos of matzah per person. we will be buying hand shmurah if that makes a difference. thanks

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Mar 24 2007, 11:48 pm
I figure a lb per person for the sedorim, but in America we have 2 sedorim; I don't know what you are doing.

You each need a kabaytza for each person, for each of the Shabbos meals, Shalosh seudos included, and then you have four yomtov seudas at the end - five, if you do Seudas Moshiach.

Are you eating gebrokts on the last day? You'll need more for that . . and if you eat matza on chol hamoed, you should try to get shvorim (broken ones) for then.

We get 10 lbs for the four of us - two aduls and two older teens.

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Mar 25 2007, 12:00 am
We got 3 lbs last year (just me and dh....ds just turned 1 and wasn't eating so much of it). A few seudas we ate the matzah where we ate out, but the others, including the sedarim, we brought our own matzah...as a courtesy bc it's so expensive.

We got 4 lbs this year to make sure we have enough shleimahs.

sarahd

Post Sun, Mar 25 2007, 5:41 am
We're getting 3 lbs this year for the whole YT. 2 adults and a 2.5 year old.

bashinda

Post Sun, Mar 25 2007, 7:49 am
wow. I wonder if I got way too much. I'm doing sedorim and will probably go out the last 2 day meals. Maybe we'll bring our matzah with us! I got 8 lbs. I got 6 lbs. 2 years ago though now that I'm thinking and we ate out for the first two days so IY"H it will work out...

hindyandrafi

Post Sun, Mar 25 2007, 8:48 am
We have 12lbs this year as we are having a few guests for the sedarim.. Feel like we need to remortgage the house as in FL it cost $17 a lb.....

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Mar 25 2007, 8:52 am
I know COUPLES who buy 10 lbs - It's all in how much you eat it.

bashinda

Post Sun, Mar 25 2007, 10:01 am
hindyandrafi wrote:
We have 12lbs this year as we are having a few guests for the sedarim.. Feel like we need to remortgage the house as in FL it cost $17 a lb.....

Mine are $18 /lb.

Tovah

Post Sun, Mar 25 2007, 10:21 am
I think we payed 22$ a pound and we bought 10lbs, were having our inlaws. so were 4 adults, 2 teens and 2 kids. . plus my family is joining and they also bought 10lbs, hope it's enough.

Mishie

Post Sun, Mar 25 2007, 12:00 pm
I think we're buying 4 kilos of Matzahs this year (about 8.5 pounds?)
It's for 2 adults and 5 little kids.
If we end up going to my Parents for the Sedder, we will bring our own Matzahs.
If we see during Chol-HaMoed that we're running low, then we can always go to our local supermarket and get a box or two of Machine-Matzahs.

shayna82

Post Sun, Mar 25 2007, 6:04 pm
10 lbs of matza with guests most of the days

hipstamom

Post Thu, Mar 29 2007, 9:18 am
I got a 5lb. box of domestic machine matzah for free at Pathmark. I had to buy $50 of groceries and that is nothing for me. LOL. I think even that may be too much for us.

greenfire

Post Thu, Mar 29 2007, 9:25 am
got 5lb of hand shmura and I always get a couple of machine with tomchei shabbos ... 2 dds do not like the handmade so... it works for me ...
this is for 5 people ...

ssbarnes

Post Thu, Mar 29 2007, 10:07 am
I guess $16.50 a lb for hand shmura is a bargain. LOL. We are 4 (2 adults & 2 children). We are not making either seder, so I only bought 4 lbs this year.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics