Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
What do you do with all your Potatoes&Onions which have

Mishie

Post Thu, Mar 29 2007, 6:29 am
been sitting on your counter. (and maybe collecting specs of flour from when you baked etc....)

Do you:

- Put them away until after Pesach?
- Just throw them all out?
- Wash them really well and use on Pesach? (can that even be done?)

shalhevet

Post Thu, Mar 29 2007, 7:06 am
I put them away till after Pesach. Anyway I now have two sacks of potatoes KLP so I guess that will be enough. shock

MommyLuv

Post Thu, Mar 29 2007, 7:21 am
I tried to use them all up and gave the rest away (although it might keep til after pesach...)

greenfire

Post Thu, Mar 29 2007, 7:46 am
how is it getting specks of flour ... if it really has flour I guess I would wash them and put them away ... just make sure not where it's hot cause you don't need maggots visiting for yom tov

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Mar 29 2007, 10:28 am
I would put them away, but this year we used every last speck!

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Mar 29 2007, 10:36 am
Isn't the whole point of peeling veggies b/c it might have some chametz on it? If people are already peeling, why not rinse off your own veggies that are sitting on the counter and use them?

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Mar 29 2007, 10:38 am
With what? A Pesach peeler?

Eggs, I could understand, you take them out of the box, but food?

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Mar 29 2007, 10:41 am
So then why do people peel veggies?

amother

Post Thu, Mar 29 2007, 11:01 am
I would put them away, but not in a place I couldn't get into on Yom Tov. You want to be able to throw them out if they go bad in the middle of Pesach etc. You don't want your pantry smelling like rotten onions....

shopaholic

Post Thu, Mar 29 2007, 11:07 am
I only had 1 potato left so I threw it, it was starting to get soft. I have a bag of onions though that I am saving.

Mishie

Post Thu, Mar 29 2007, 11:35 am
I'm getting a huge order of produce today, and can def. get by without the potatoes&onions I already have.

Problem is, like others have mentioned, I'm afraid they won't last until after Pesach, but, on the other hand, I feel really bad tossing so much away while it's still fresh.

Re: peeling the veggies. I do that. but, was thinking that there might be a problem using a KLP knife on an onion (which is considered a דבר חריף). I usually chop off the ends of the onion with a knife, make a slit length wise, and then peel the rest by hand....

What do you think?

shalhevet

Post Thu, Mar 29 2007, 12:27 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
So then why do people peel veggies?

It's a chumra. You don't have to if it's not your minhag.
But if they've been sitting out on your counter (mine are in a cupboard with racks right underneath a cupboard with chometz food crumbs) they might cause a problem halachically - like people mentioned with the peeler.

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Mar 29 2007, 12:30 pm
But I thought that the reason for the chumra was because there might be chametz on the veggies. People generally have a specific knife that they use only for peeling.

shalhevet

Post Thu, Mar 29 2007, 12:39 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
But I thought that the reason for the chumra was because there might be chametz on the veggies. People generally have a specific knife that they use only for peeling.

Not me!

Cake with lemon peel, anyone? Tongue Out

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Mar 29 2007, 12:40 pm
I'm talking about veggies that are generally not peeled, like tomatoes, zuchinni, etc.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Mar 29 2007, 2:15 pm
I don't differentiate between peelers and knives, for the insides or outsides of fruits and veggies. I didn't learn that way.

HindaRochel

Post Fri, Mar 30 2007, 12:57 am
We asked this question one year. We were told to rinse off the veggies and then we could use them. We rinse them before Pesach obviously. This includes veggies in the fridge etc. Chametz isn't absorbed into something just by contact. (Cooking is obviously something different.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics