Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Do you have a recipe for pesach blintzes?

beachgirl

Post Fri, Mar 16 2007, 6:30 am
I want to make potato blintzes for Pesach. I can figure out the filling part, but need a good recipe for the blintz pancakes. Gebrochts is fine. Thanks!

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Mar 16 2007, 8:21 am
Spice and Spirit has a recipe for blintz leaves. It's basically just eggs, potato starch, and a little salt.

withhumor

Post Fri, Mar 16 2007, 12:07 pm
The trick is to use very hot oil before starting. The first crepe in the pot is always the guinea pig and usually doesn’t come out. The next ones will be ok. Also, keep whipping the batter with a fork every few crepes, so that they come out fluffy. I also do mine with plain eggs, a drop of oil, and some salt to taste. Sugar if filling with sweet stuff.

Sweet filling ideas:
Equal parts sugar and ground nuts. Fill it when warm to have the sugar melt, or fill it when it’s not warm to leave the filling crunchy , I like it not warm.

Apple jam (very easy to make. You can also sprinkle nuts on top.

Cheese! Yummy farmer cheese, mix with sour cream, eggs, and sugar and lemon to taste.

rainbow baby

Post Fri, Mar 16 2007, 12:28 pm
Do you have a recipe for apple jam that sounds interesting?

Two years ago I made minced meat blintzes using the recipe that Defy said. They were wonderful!!! But unfortunately last year I never had any time, this year I'am hopefully going to do them.

withhumor

Post Fri, Mar 16 2007, 4:16 pm
I just cook apples and sugar until soft, but take a look here
http://www.cooks.com/rec/searc......html

it's yummy, we make sandwich cookies, and jelly roll too!

Also use on meats for cooking, etc.

downsyndrome

Post Fri, Mar 16 2007, 4:26 pm
When I do the batter for the egg blintzes, I dilute the potato starch in a little seltzer. It fizzes and then makes the batter more fluffy, less gooey blintzes. And as withhumor said, make sure to whip between each blintz to retain the fluff.

rainbow baby

Post Sat, Mar 17 2007, 6:21 pm
withhumor wrote:
I just cook apples and sugar until soft, but take a look here
http://www.cooks.com/rec/searc......html

it's yummy, we make sandwich cookies, and jelly roll too!

Also use on meats for cooking, etc.

Thanks I might just try it, I never thought about putting apples on meat , I might try that also.

withhumor

Post Sun, Mar 18 2007, 11:27 am
Apples and sweet potato layered under the meat is heavenly (oil, sugar, lemon, orange juice too)

Also try apple jam, sliced onions, and red wine, salt and pepper.

beachgirl

Post Mon, Mar 19 2007, 7:49 pm
I still need the actual recipe for the blintz leaves, if anyone has time to post it. Thanks!

withhumor

Post Mon, Mar 19 2007, 7:51 pm
Just eggs, a drop of oil, and a pinch of salt. Keep fluffing with the fork. If you use potato starch, it makes a huge difference. The batter is something you need mazal with on pesach, so write down this year as you experiment!

S.Shcwartz

Post Thu, Mar 29 2007, 12:34 pm
withhumor wrote:
Apples and sweet potato layered under the meat is heavenly (oil, sugar, lemon, orange juice too)

Also try apple jam, sliced onions, and red wine, salt and pepper.

Ok. can u give me step by step instructions on this one please? It sounds good. thanx

beachgirl

Post Thu, Mar 29 2007, 11:08 pm
Can anybody please post the EXACT, PRECISE measurements for blintzes (the pancake part)?
Thank you Smile

withhumor

Post Fri, Mar 30 2007, 8:19 am
Sorry, I don’t do recipes. Here’s what I can conjure up for you.

Take an onion and slices it in the width, about ½ inch thick and line the bottom of the pan. Add 4 tablespoons red wine, 6 tablespoons jam, maybe 1 ½ teaspoons salt and ¾ teaspoons black pepper. Open the flame on high and lower it when the onions become translucent. Then add the meat and keep checking it, turning it, maybe adding a drop of chicken soup if the water gets low. I’m sorry if this sounds very vague, I never follow recipes. Thanks!

ShanaMatele

Post Fri, Mar 30 2007, 10:10 am
Ok beachgirl, I have 2 recipes for blintzes. Last year we were at my in-laws for Pesach, and I can't remember so well which recipe I used the year before. I'll type both:

This is from the Blumenkrantz book (from 2005):

1/3 c. potato starch
3 eggs
1 c. cold water
1 T. oil

a little oil, for brushing pan

combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth. Refrigerate 1/2 hour. brush a 6 or 8 inch frying pan lightly with oil. Heat pan and pour 3 T. of batter into hot pan, tilting from side-to-side quickly to make a thin, even coating. Pour off any excess batter. Fry for about 1/2 a minute, or until top is dry. Turn over and fry for 10 more seconds. With a knife, loosen edges and turn out, piling blintz leaves in a stack. Yield: 12-14 blintzes.

I really like the potato filling:

2-3 c. mashed potatoes
1 onion, diced and sauteed
2 eggs beaten
salt and pepper to taste

Combine, fill, and fry on both sides

My other recipe:

4 eggs
1/4 c. potato starch
1/3 c. water
pinch of salt
oil for pan (optional)

Mix eggs, salt, and potato starch until smooth, add water. mix.

heat 1-2 t. oil in a 10" frying pan. pour ~2 T. batter into a thin layer in the pan, only after the oil is well heated. fry on a low flame for a short time, until the crepe can be removed from the pan. you may need to use a fork to loosen the crepes from the sides of the pan.

Hope one of these recipes will suit your needs.

-SM

PS I'm not nuts for typing this recipe out this morning, really. I'm on a partial bedrest with this pregnancy, and I'm not allowed to be up and around so much.

S.Shcwartz

Post Fri, Mar 30 2007, 3:09 pm
withhumor wrote:
Sorry, I don’t do recipes. Here’s what I can conjure up for you.

Take an onion and slices it in the width, about ½ inch thick and line the bottom of the pan. Add 4 tablespoons red wine, 6 tablespoons jam, maybe 1 ½ teaspoons salt and ¾ teaspoons black pepper. Open the flame on high and lower it when the onions become translucent. Then add the meat and keep checking it, turning it, maybe adding a drop of chicken soup if the water gets low. I’m sorry if this sounds very vague, I never follow recipes. Thanks!

thank you withhumor...the apple jam..I know u posted somewhere but how is that done? Also what kind of meat do u use for this?

beachgirl

Post Fri, Mar 30 2007, 6:46 pm
Thank u shayna maidele!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics