Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
I want my own lab

youngishbear

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 12:29 am
Anyone else feels like they want a stack of those rapid cultures the doctors use for diagnosing strept? Why bundle up and run out in the cold with cranky kids when it may turn out to be nothing more than a virus?

And what's worse, if they're not that sick in the first place the last thing they need is contact with sick kids in the waiting room at the doctors' office...

It would make life so much easier to do a preliminary home test (similar to what we do with an ept Tongue Out ) and go to the doctor for confirmation and medication...

Thoughts?

wife2

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 12:35 am
It would be easier than shlepping out but too hard to hold down kid and stick it down their throat while they are gagging

youngishbear

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 12:37 am
With daddy's help...

What

Still easier than the alternative.

goodmorning

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 12:44 am
Rapid strep tests have a high rate of false negatives; about 5% of negative rapid tests test positive on overnight cultures. (I recently had one of those in my family!)

Doctors rely a) on clinical observation of the throat and tonsils and b) on overnight cultures to detect strep even when rapids are negative.

Where would that leave you? If you get a positive, you have to go to the doctor to get a prescription. If you get a negative, you have to go to the doctor to see if it's worth an overnight.

youngishbear

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 12:46 am
goodmorning wrote:
Rapid strep tests have a high rate of false negatives; about 5% of negative rapid tests test positive on overnight cultures. (I recently had one of those in my family!)

Doctors rely a) on clinical observation of the throat and tonsils and b) on overnight cultures to detect strep even when rapids are negative.

Where would that leave you? If you get a positive, you have to go to the doctor to get a prescription. If you get a negative, you have to go to the doctor to see if it's worth an overnight.

Same as an ept. I would wait another day and retest...

I'm not talking about times when the kid is fevering or wheezing. Just a tickly sore throat or when they start acting strepty (which is something my doctor laughs at but what does he know lol).

chani8

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 2:03 am
Just treat with sambucal, echinacea and Vit C, at the first sign of a virus.

amother

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 6:47 am
you can buy rapid strep tests from amazon and knock yourself out doing them all day. seriously you can get them. I did. but when you get a positive you'll have to go into doc for an rx...

bnm

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 12:04 pm
youngishbear wrote:
Same as an ept. I would wait another day and retest...

I'm not talking about times when the kid is fevering or wheezing. Just a tickly sore throat or when they start acting strepty (which is something my doctor laughs at but what does he know lol).

your dr sounds young. if I tell my ped the kid is acting strepy he takes me seriously (or maybe my kid had enough streps for me to be qualified) I also tell him stuff like 'smells like an ear infection' 'smells like a sinus infection' I'm usually right.

relish

Post Fri, Dec 12 2014, 1:42 pm
My home strep test consists of looking in the kid's throat and feeling the kid's glands. Usually correct.

granolamom

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 10:23 pm
bnm wrote:
your dr sounds young. if I tell my ped the kid is acting strepy he takes me seriously (or maybe my kid had enough streps for me to be qualified) I also tell him stuff like 'smells like an ear infection' 'smells like a sinus infection' I'm usually right.

I agree.
I usually know when my kids are 'strepy', I can smell a sinus infection too.

bnm

Post Sun, Dec 14 2014, 10:34 pm
jokes on me. I went to the ped today with my 3.5 year old who is acting and smelling streppy and the newish YOUNG guy was refusing to do a blood test saying 'if the rapid comes back negative you will wait a few days' I told him this is MY kid, and I KNOW whats going on and someone just said something about her dr not doing cbs.... so he said doing CBC is old school. I said I really don't care and he can pin the blame on the sr partner who would always do it right away on my kid since its a complex case.... 'oh it doesn't work that way'.... so we compromised on if the rapid is negative he will do a cbc which he did. by the time the cbc results came back the rapid had a slight line which is really weird because my kids never have positive rapids so waiting for overnight results... and who wants to have a sick kid for a few days home from school!?!?? the kid was complaining his joints hurt, his mouth smelled, he was feverish, woke 5 times each night the last few nights, what more do you need?!?!

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Dec 15 2014, 3:41 am
If you're going through so much strep, it sounds like it's time to get to an ENT and start talking about getting the tonsils and adenoids out. I did that for DD, and neither of us has had strep since (bli ayin hara, 7 years so far.)

Right now we both have rotten colds. When are they going to come up with a cure for THAT? Sick

bnm

Post Mon, Dec 15 2014, 9:06 am
we have a date for surgery. its far enough he can get strep twice in that time....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics