Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Nebulizer

amother

Post Thu, Mar 29 2007, 8:10 pm
My dc recently started having to use a nebulizer the dr. said he must use it on shabbos
do I have to ask a rav regarding this or just use it?
thank you

red sea

Post Thu, Mar 29 2007, 8:13 pm
some pple put it on a shabbos clock, some let the dc themselves turn it on & off if they re small, best to ask

downsyndrome

Post Thu, Mar 29 2007, 8:13 pm
How old is the child? We were told that it's best if my daughter switches it on, on her own. Check with your rav.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 29 2007, 8:15 pm
hes 3

amother

Post Thu, Mar 29 2007, 8:17 pm
We use an oxygen tank on shabbos. It gives the same pressure as a nebulizer . we connect the nebulizer tubing to the tank.
lots of people use a shabbos clock or have the child turn it on.

downsyndrome

Post Thu, Mar 29 2007, 8:17 pm
He will most likely be allowed to be the one to switch the button on, rather than any of you adults. But, do speak to your rav/posek.

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Thu, Mar 29 2007, 8:18 pm
you should definitely ask a Rav about the best way to use the nebulizer on Shabbos. You could put it on a timer but do you have to attach the mouthpiece with a shinui or something?

Our son uses a nebulizer once-a-day and we do it just before Shabbos on Friday and after Shabbos on Sat. Can you do that too?

amother

Post Thu, Mar 29 2007, 8:22 pm
no he needs it 3x a day

S.Shcwartz

Post Thu, Mar 29 2007, 9:26 pm
I did it for my ds on a shabbos clock...it was miscalculated but I got through not one shabbos but two! good luck!

greenfire

Post Thu, Mar 29 2007, 10:55 pm
when my dd was little she had one and the rav said to turn it on with a shinui ... it was hard emotionally but we did ... with foot ...

vicki

Post Fri, Apr 06 2007, 12:31 am
We were told to turn it on/off with a shinui as well. Our Rav suggested an elbow.

chavamom

Post Fri, Apr 06 2007, 12:39 am
When I had a child that used it, we put it on a shabbos clock. But the amother that suggested an oxygen tank - it's a viable option. That is what the respiratory therapists often do when they give treatments rather than use a nebulizer.

elisecohen

Post Fri, Apr 06 2007, 7:30 am
Actually this is an area where it's important to ask a rav with experience in medical halachos. Not that anyone should tell you not to use the nebulizer--when you are dealing with a small child having trouble breathing, you are dealing with straightforward life or death issues. Rather, I mean that I have heard that at least one rav well-versed in medical halachos tells those who ask him that the parents themselves should operate the nebulizer, since it is a life-saving treatment, and because it will teach the children that when it comes to life-threatening medical situations we MUST violate usual halacha. I am certainly not poskining here, just recommending that you make sure that when you ask the shailoh you ask it of someone who will treat all the aspects of the individual situation, not just view it as a "oh they want to turn on electrical appliances on Shabbos and Yom Tov" situation.

Many years ago (and those of you who have heard this story can now skip the rest of the post) we made the mistake of asking our local shul rav a similar question and he point blank told us that under no circumstances could we use the electrical appliance in question on Shabbos. This put not only that particular child in danger, but another of our children also, and the rav's solution was that I should sleep with the children every single Shabbos for the rest of their childhoods--how's that for Shalom Bayis? We consulted another rav, an expert in the field, (not to contradict but to ask him to consult with the first one) who told us that of course there was no question we should use the device, but the first rav refused to talk to the second even though the second was a reknowned world authority. After many days of my insisting,our rav finally called Rabbi Dovid Feinstein, his own posek, who told him that he was wrong and hadn't understood the halachic issues--that in any situation involving the technology in question it had been ruled that it should be used, no matter what the circumstances, as long as there was any medical need whatsoever, because the amount of electricity used was so small it was questionable whether there was even an issur d'Rabbanan. Our rav called us, told us that, and hung up on us.

Not that any other Rabbi would likely be so misguided, but this was a man we had trusted til then. We learned that when it comes to medical matters, ask an expert period.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics