Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Wisdom teeth pulled

ny21

Post Sat, Mar 24 2007, 10:08 pm
any advise in the after care?

southernbubby

Post Sat, Mar 24 2007, 10:27 pm
Prepare ice packs in advance.
Try to get the oral surgeon to call in the prescriptions for pain meds the day before so that you don't have to leave the child to go and fill them.
Stock the fridge with non-chew foods such as pudding, yogurt, and applesauce.
Your child will not be allowed to drink from a straw.
The child should sleep in a recliner chair or in a semi-sitting position. You should sleep near the child the first night since the anesthesia will make the child disoriented.

withhumor

Post Sat, Mar 24 2007, 10:33 pm
Go for it, do it! all at once… it takes only about 4 minutes total (1 minute to yank each tooth) so it’s not worth to go through the whole agony again). I had it done a few years ago, and the pain meds helped, I totally didn’t swell, no stitches, it was a breeze!

ny21

Post Sat, Mar 24 2007, 10:34 pm
thanks for the advise. I have not thought of any of those.

amother

Post Sat, Mar 24 2007, 11:36 pm
Anyone had it done while pregnant? Do they still give you strong pain killers? I'd rather do it now than with a newborn, but I'm TERRIFIED of the pain!

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Mar 24 2007, 11:39 pm
I had coedine with tylenol. mmmmmmmmmmmm

amother

Post Sat, Mar 24 2007, 11:47 pm
Quote:
I had coedine with tylenol. mmmmmmmmmmmm

While pregnant?

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Mar 24 2007, 11:49 pm
No. I was 16. and I'm not big on pain medicaiton, but I remember it being pretty strong - and strong was necessary!

amother

Post Sun, Mar 25 2007, 12:05 am
I had one done while pregnant and yes if I remember correctly I did take tylenol with codiene. I would check with a homeopath but my husband took arnica with his and had a real speedy recovery. Check with your Dr. about what you can do while pregnant.

withhumor

Post Sun, Mar 25 2007, 9:35 am
You should NEVER have a ny dental work done when preg!!!!!!!!!!1 no painkillers either....

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 25 2007, 9:40 am
don't do it while you're pregnant - not advisable - and people need strong pain medicine which believe me you will want ... if you can tolerate it wait till later ... are you in pain now ... why pull them davka now ...

smiley:)

Post Sun, Mar 25 2007, 10:03 am
First of all, you could have some dental work done when pregnant. I was 4 months pregnant when a cavity was detected, without x-ray. Some drs also say while its better not to have an x-ray and you shouldnt have it for routine purposes, chances are it will do nothing wrong because #1 its such a small amount of radiation, #2 it's not directed anywhere near your stomach, #3 there is protection of the heavy apron. Also some drs say the 2nd trimester is ok to have certain types of work done. And also there is some emergency work that together the dr and dentist might decide davka should be done during pregnancy. Questions have to be asked. I had a cavity filled in my 2nd trimester, using laser. That meant there was no anastesia (or pain in my case), no x-ray, nothing. BH I am 8 months pregnant and bly ayin hara everything is fine.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Sun, Mar 25 2007, 11:22 am
withhumor wrote:
You should NEVER have a ny dental work done when preg!!!!!!!!!!1 no painkillers either....

Unless you are in terrible pain and cant wait 9 months!! Also sometimes if you wait, it could get infected and thats much worse than some painkiller or anesth.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 25 2007, 1:49 pm
withhumor wrote:

Sorry but I was at a High Risk Dr. and my wisdom took had a really bad cavity and started breaking and I was in my 8th month and I asked my dr. if I should wait till after the baby is born and she said"absolutely not, if it gets infected you could go into early labor" she said I should just go to a Dentist that has dealt with pregnant women so he knows how to deal with the medications etc etc. so I wouldn't take that as a rule.

Also, a friend of mine uses a clinic and at one of the first appts. they tell you to go to a dentist and make sure all is fine for the same above reason so I guess there are different schools of thought about this....

DefyGravity

Post Sun, Mar 25 2007, 3:31 pm
withhumor wrote:
Go for it, do it! all at once… it takes only about 4 minutes total (1 minute to yank each tooth) so it’s not worth to go through the whole agony again). I had it done a few years ago, and the pain meds helped, I totally didn’t swell, no stitches, it was a breeze!

It's not always so easy. Mine were painless and easy b/c the teeth had all erupted through the gums. However, many people have difficult extractions and can't have all four teeth out at once. Everyone's different.

ny21

Post Sun, Apr 08 2007, 12:34 am
he is recovering nicely,
the dentist said to use a heat compress
and to use ice
the dentist told him to rinse with Kosher salt
and to use tylenol for the pain .
thanks for all your suggestions. LOL

greenfire

Post Sun, Apr 08 2007, 10:35 am
have an extra couple of cups of wine ... that'll kill the pain ... Drunken Smile

withhumor

Post Sun, Apr 08 2007, 11:26 am
Yes, warm rinse with salt is magic. It’s great for gargling for strep throat too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics