Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
BY Machon Ora- New Passaic HS
1  2  Next

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 5:00 pm
Did anyone go to the open house this past Sunday? Looking for more information... (type of school, what type of girl they are looking for, how many students do they accept etc).

Thanks!

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 5:31 pm
Seems like it's going to be a somewhat open-minded bais yaakov. Their current 9th graders seemed genuinely happy.

The turnout was huge. At this point it looks like they will have about 80+ applicants for about 30+ spots. So I'm guessing they'll accept smart, well adjusted, etc kids. . ..

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 5:49 pm
The principal is pretty open minded.... very. In her previous school I complained about a book the 9th graders were reading - I felt it was inappropriate. Now, my kids watch TV and see movies, read regular books. but I dont think that Rebecca by Daphne De Morneais (spelling?) is something I want my daughter to read. Her response was maybe my daughter should be in a more insular bais yaakov type school.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 7:28 pm
I have a daughter who'll be ready for high school in a few years and I think it's great that there's a new school in town. Is the 9th grade composed of local students? What other schools did the current 9th graders apply for, or consider applying for?

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 7:52 pm
amother wrote:
The principal is pretty open minded.... very. In her previous school I complained about a book the 9th graders were reading - I felt it was inappropriate. Now, my kids watch TV and see movies, read regular books. but I dont think that Rebecca by Daphne De Morneais (spelling?) is something I want my daughter to read. Her response was maybe my daughter should be in a more insular bais yaakov type school.

This school-at least judging by the current students and the applicants-is definitely to the right of her previous school (bruria).

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 7:55 pm
Most of the faculty used to teach in Bruriah, where Mrs. Stern was a teacher for over 15 years, then co-principal for a few years. I also wonder--are these applying to other BY schools, or were they the frummies of schools like Bruriah?

amother

Post Wed, Nov 19 2014, 7:57 pm
amother wrote:
I have a daughter who'll be ready for high school in a few years and I think it's great that there's a new school in town. Is the 9th grade composed of local students? What other schools did the current 9th graders apply for, or consider applying for?

Mainly local as well as a few Monsey students. I saw girls at the open house from Passaic, Monsey, Riverdale. . . .

My dd and most of her friends are applying to machon ora and by of Passaic but there are girls applying to bruria, by of Monsey, Manhattan, rinas, etc.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 9:20 am
amother wrote:
Mainly local as well as a few Monsey students. I saw girls at the open house from Passaic, Monsey, Riverdale. . . .

My dd and most of her friends are applying to machon ora and by of Passaic but there are girls applying to bruria, by of Monsey, Manhattan, rinas, etc.

Thanks for replying. Do you know what they plan to offer in the way of AP or college credit classes? I know that there's only a 9th grade now so that's probably not a fair question, just trying to get an idea of whether they're a good school in terms of college prep.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 10:06 am
Don't live in area but if did, would 100% have my DD apply there. I was good friends with Mrs. Stern's daughter and spent a lot of time in their house. She's great. We're open minded Yeshivish/right wing YU.

Bruria is not a BY so can't compare what was done there to this school. Even with Mrs. Stern being in both places.

I wish this school lots of hatzlacha. We need more schools like this!

amother

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 11:19 am
amother wrote:
Thanks for replying. Do you know what they plan to offer in the way of AP or college credit classes? I know that there's only a 9th grade now so that's probably not a fair question, just trying to get an idea of whether they're a good school in terms of college prep.

They mentioned that they will have AP courses etc from 11th grade and up.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 07 2015, 11:02 am
amother wrote:
Most of the faculty used to teach in Bruriah, where Mrs. Stern was a teacher for over 15 years, then co-principal for a few years. I also wonder--are these applying to other BY schools, or were they the frummies of schools like Bruriah?

Stumbled upon this thread, correction, only 3 faculty members used to work in Bruriah

amother

Post Wed, Jan 07 2015, 11:21 am
How many faculty members are there for a school with 2 grades?

FindingMeaning

Post Wed, Jan 07 2015, 11:35 am
For this first year, only a ninth grade, it seems they have 11 or 12 faculty members besides the principal who also teaches.

amother
Black

Post Sat, Nov 11 2017, 8:33 pm
Does anyone have updated information about this school? They are now in their 4th year. I know they are having an open house tomorrow and we are thinking of going.

Beingreal

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 1:14 am
I live in passaic and I can tell you what I see.. its an open minded school with some really nice girls that ive met. Its very academic and I know sone teachers.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 8:32 pm
We ended up going to the open house and I was really impressed. It seemed to be on a very high academic level but the girls seemed really down to earth, sweet, refined and happy. The teachers were very impressive too and they seem very experienced, very smart and very warm. We are definitely going to be applying. There were many girls from Passaic but also many girls from other areas including Monsey, Bergen County and Riverdale. I wish a school like this existed when I was a kid.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 9:07 pm
It is a high pressure academic environment, and the girls need to work very, very hard.
Otherwise, great staff and nice girls.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 7:34 pm
Is there transportation to machon Ora from Brooklyn? Or is there a comparable school in Brooklyn?

amother
Black

Post Tue, Sep 24 2019, 9:06 am
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
Is there transportation to machon Ora from Brooklyn? Or is there a comparable school in Brooklyn?

There is no transportation from Brooklyn.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Sep 24 2019, 9:11 am
Haskafickly, how does it differ from Naaleh in Teaneck?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics