Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
How many passwords do you have?

cheerios

Post Wed, Apr 11 2007, 10:22 pm
Just wondering if it was safe to use the same password for different things. You know, every time you want to buy something in a new store or just to visit certain sites you need to create an account. Is it safe to use your password from your email, for example?

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 12:14 am
I see no problem with it, I have a word that's easy for me to remember but it's not a common word, so Im not scared, some sites, like online banking, ask for at least one letter, so I have a variation, but for a few of my accounts I do have different ones.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 8:44 am
I work in the computer field, and I feel it's not safe at all. If someone cracks your password, they can access everything and anything about you and do irreparable damage. If you have multiple passwords, the amount of damage they can do is limited to what they can access. I can't even begin to count how many different passwords I have.

withhumor

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 10:52 am
My clients sometimes tell me which password they ‘prefer’ for their email setups etc. and I’m stunned that it’s usually something like ‘mazeltov’ or ‘rifkie42’ and then I get stunned eve more when that is the exact password that they use for the banking online, other emails…

In the past, I had to penetrate someone’s account because they didn’t pay me. Within a few minutes, I was able to cause enough loss for them to have them BEG to pay up their balance! Be smart, be safe, make them all different, and write them down, for heaven sakes! Keep that paper in your underwear drawer, not in your pocketbook or cell phone or palm, because if it gets stolen, you’re a gonner.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 11:07 am
Isn't that illegal? I set up accounts on a daily basis for email or web or whatever but I could never use that information to get other info I'm not privy to. Even if it's not illegal (which it probably is), I think it's wrong, wrong, wrong.

But yes, the passwords they pick are pretty stupid. If I was allowed to, I would tell you how stupid they are. I've figured out patterns in companies, and other really senseless and insecure logins, and it still doesn't help them remember it!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics