Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
How long should it take?

Racheli

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 9:06 pm
We are having guests staying with us this Shabbat, so I have to make dinner for Friday night and then lunch for Shabbat day. I have to prepare the guest room, set the table and straighten up the house. I have young children, so although my house is clean and neat, it requires constant effort to keep it that way. My question is this: how long should all of this take? My husband thinks I could spend a lot less time than I do, but I think I'm actually being quite efficient.

baseballmom

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 9:12 pm
I would do all the cooking tonight - probably like 3-4 hours and then spend like 1-2 hours straightening up and preparing the guest room - but not this week, because my house is still not 100% turned over from Pesach...it would take me all day tomorrow to have it ready for guests. And then setting the table and getting things in the oven/last minute things is another hour or so on Friday - so probably like 7 or 8 hours on a normal week - but NOT this week.

shanie5

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 11:16 pm
no matter how long or short erev shabbos is, it always takes me until licht benching before I am done.

mumoo

Post Fri, Apr 13 2007, 12:09 am
Racheli wrote:
My husband thinks I could spend a lot less time than I do, but I think I'm actually being quite efficient.

if he straightens up for about 2 hours each night, you could probably shave 2 hours from your time 8)

amother

Post Fri, Apr 13 2007, 12:18 am
Uch! I hate when dh says that. I would tell him if he thinks he can do it better or quicker than me he could just take over.

mimsy7420

Post Fri, Apr 13 2007, 10:21 am
Tell him he is welcome to try and do it faster!

If I start thursday night then I have less to do Friday. So it really depends how your budget your time.
I like cooking food fresh on friday as much as a I can, so I would do the straightening up on thursday night and leave the last minute washing of the kitchen floor until I finished cooking on Friday. It could be 2 minutes before lighting candles!

greenfire

Post Fri, Apr 13 2007, 10:23 am
shanie5 wrote:
no matter how long or short erev shabbos is, it always takes me until licht benching before I am done.

ditto - I guess by that time it's ready or not ...

Squash

Post Fri, Apr 13 2007, 10:23 am
shanie5 wrote:

I'm with you.

mumoo

Post Fri, Apr 13 2007, 12:23 pm
of course it does. that's because we tell ourselves, "Oh, I'm all ready for Shabbos and still have an hour and a half til lichtbentschen. I'll bake a cake."

Raisin

Post Fri, Apr 13 2007, 12:49 pm
I think on Aish.com they have a guide on how to make shabbos in 2 hours. It all depends how fancy you want to be. For example today, I spent a lot of time making butternut squash pie, carrot soup (using up excess pesach veggies) and some fruit crumble, and of course challa (special segula to make it this week but I make every week). But you could certainly have an delicious and adequate shabbos meal without pie, soup and homemade dessert.

If you are not trying to impress, it will take less time.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note