Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing
Seeking Reasonably Priced Jewish Cross-Stitch Patterns

ImaCohen4

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 12:44 pm
( hard to think of thread titles that do not end up being mocked. I find it's a bit challenging, I think the last one I used was searching for a cross stitch to which the question was asked, " where did you drop it ", or something to that affect. As I am new to Ima that was a bit hard for me to see as I was unsure of the spirit it was being done in. )

I'm struggling to figure out why the Judaica cross stitch patterns are inflated in price compared to any other patterns. On Amazon I can buy large scenes of farms or mountains in the winter for 25$ or 40$ if I want fancy. The thing of it is I don't want that scenery I want EY. I want the Jewish land of our people decorating my walls however it's prohibitive at 200$ a pattern. As most things Jewish we tend to pay more for everything and in some situations it's understandable as to the amount of work to small production but a pattern for cross stitch? Ugh!

Rubber ducky I looked into creating my own patterns and I don't feel confident in my skill level for that yet but it's a great suggestions to those who are accomplished at what they do. If anyone knows anyone who does cross stitch would they mind asking where I could buy affordable Judaica patterns? TIA

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 8:44 pm
ImaCohen, would you be OK with me changing the title of this thread? I'm the section mod so I can do that. And as you started the thread, maybe you can too. How about "Seeking Reasonably Priced Jewish Cross Stitch Patterns"? You'll have a better chance of getting helpful responses if the thread title accurately reflects its content.

I'm sorry you've received "mocking" responses. Some people can't pass over the chance to make a joke, even at someone else's expense. You'll learn to winnow out the chaff.

Is there any way I could help you with creating your own pattern? Although I don't do cross stitch, I teach Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator at Maalot Baltimore and may be able to walk you through the process.

ImaCohen4

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 8:54 pm
TY TY! yes of course, feel free to change the thread. All help us appreciated. I would love to have help creating a pattern but I'd be of no help because I don't understand how to graph it. Although my DH may be able to do it with some helpful tips. I know I really would love a scene of Yerushalyim to work on.

Just let me know what to do?

TY again so much for offering to to help. The kindness in offering was a blessing to me.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 10:16 pm
First we need a picture you would like to use as a template. Do you have anything on your computer that would work? Can you post the picture here?

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 10:34 pm
You might want to change the title again. I read the first line and did a head shake.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 11:07 pm
I know you can buy transfer paper and print out a picture on that, then iron it onto fabric. However, it will be a picture which you'll then have to figure out how to stitch.

Easier, I think, would be needlepoint. You buy a needlepoint canvas the size you want. Then you print out a fairly simple picture (of Kosel, Midgal Dovid, Kever Rochel in the old days etc) and place it in back of the canvas. You take various colored markers and outline the shapes you see.

Then you buy various colored threads and use them per the picture.

I copied the fabric from my couch & created a picture for the wall, though you could also use your needlepoint as the front of a pillow.

(Anon in case you've been in my house & seen my gorgeous needlepoint.)

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 11:16 pm
Squishy wrote:
You might want to change the title again. I read the first line and did a head shake.

Change it to X-stitch? Very Happy

youngishbear

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 11:21 pm
Hey OP, titles are fun. Sometimes they're funny. I love coming up with wacky ones. I don't remember the original one on this thread, but please don't ever take it to heart if anyone comments on it. It's a sport.

Welcome to imamother. Can't help you with your search, sorry!

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Feb 09 2015, 11:29 pm
I hate cross stitch. Yes, get any image you want onto the fabric, then outline the image using other stitches. Don't forget crewel stitch, also called chain stitch. Fill in with satin stitch if you want. The Bayeux Tapestry is all done in crewel stitch.

If that's too much trouble, don't forget whipping the chain stitch.

Don't overlook the possibilities of ribbon embroidery, which covers a lot of ground fast and is easy.

Alibris.com will sell you encyclopedias and manuals of lots of new embroidery stitches that are not at all hard. And books about how to do ribbon embroidery. There are also You Tube videos and eHow and so forth. Google.

Are you considering making a classic sampler of the Alef-Bet?

That might be nice, with the letters filled in using satin stitch. It might be interesting in ribbon embroidery, too.

Or one framed letter, very embellished with beads.

Perhaps you are doing Challah Covers? Using a cloth dinner napkin. It is pre-hemmed. Pre-washed it to eliminate shrinkage.

Getting an image transferred to cloth isn't hard. You can trace. You can use special embroidery pencils, which wash out completely. Joan's Embroidery used to have them. Google them.

PUHLEEEZE post images of your work!

ImaCohen4

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 8:46 am

Last edited by ImaCohen4 on Thu, Feb 19 2015, 1:00 am; edited 1 time in total

ImaCohen4

Post Tue, Feb 10 2015, 8:48 am
Thank you everyone for all the great tips. I will figure out how to either transfer and if that doesn't work for me I will keep looking for a cheaper pattern and IYH find one affordable.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing