Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
I was AMISH - AMA
  Previous  1  2  3  4 11  12  13  Next

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 1:22 pm
What strikes me about rumspring is the absence of adults. Let me explain.
I would bet that in many ways Amish kids in their late teens are very mature. But very innocent about the ways of the world too. What kind of guidance is offered during rumspring? If everything has to be hidden can they talk to someone older and wiser to bounce things off for clarity?

amother

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 1:23 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
4 whole years??
And sneaking around after dark - I guess that really it's just a matter of forbidden experiences, not education and learning about the world at large?

The sneaking around is usually just the first year or so. Then you would settle into a routine, being looking for a marriage partner. We had dances after dark on alternating Sundays. We would go to the pizza parlor or get ice cream and things like that. Our parents always had a big talk with us about responsibility, our s-xuality, and the gifts of marriage. We had a lot of work to do during the day that you needed a good night sleep for. Once I took a trip to the seashore with a few of my girlfriends. We went to art museums, some of us got part time jobs. The sneaking around is a big part of it because there is the trust factor our parents and the community gives us.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 1:26 pm
amother wrote:
The sneaking around is usually just the first year or so. Then you would settle into a routine, being looking for a marriage partner. We had dances after dark on alternating Sundays. We would go to the pizza parlor or get ice cream and things like that. Our parents always had a big talk with us about responsibility, our s-xuality, and the gifts of marriage. We had a lot of work to do during the day that you needed a good night sleep for. Once I took a trip to the seashore with a few of my girlfriends. We went to art museums, some of us got part time jobs. The sneaking around is a big part of it because there is the trust factor our parents and the community gives us.

I get it. Museums and part time jobs sounds a bit...healthier Tongue Out As well as parental input.

Scrabble123

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 1:34 pm
Obviously the previously Amish amother would know much more, but I am pretty fascinated with the Amish and have visited different Amish communities several times. Not all of them have a concept of rumspringa, and not all of them have the same time period for rumspringa. There are differences based on location, stringency, bishops decisions, etc. etc.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 2:14 pm
They've got their crazies, just like us.

http://www.theatlantic.com/nat.....9323/

bluebird

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 2:26 pm
amother wrote:
I am MO...like my mothers parents.

The Amish do not accept conversion or accept outsiders into their communities. How did your Jewish grandparents or parents become Amish?

southernbubby

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 3:11 pm
bluebird wrote:
The Amish do not accept conversion or accept outsiders into their communities. How did your Jewish grandparents or parents become Amish?

where did you hear this because everything else I read said that not only do they accept outsiders but they have been known to take in foster children from outside and raise them Amish?

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 3:12 pm
imasoftov wrote:
They've got their crazies, just like us.

http://www.theatlantic.com/nat.....9323/

Rolling Eyes

southernbubby

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 3:12 pm
http://www.amishnews.com/publi.....h.htm

according to this website conversion to Amish occurs but is rare

southernbubby

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 3:17 pm
http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/br.....mish/

I forgot about this; a reality show about those who left.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 3:25 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:
Obviously the previously Amish amother would know much more, but I am pretty fascinated with the Amish and have visited different Amish communities several times. Not all of them have a concept of rumspringa, and not all of them have the same time period for rumspringa. There are differences based on location, stringency, bishops decisions, etc. etc.

I have tried to post several times but imamother is being crabby today. OK 3rd time the charm.

Yes that is true. As a community we write our own Orednung which is what we call the rules of your community. We vote on it every year and make changes if need be. It has things in it like if we can use generators, how wide the men's hat brims can be, what colors we can wear, pretty much everything is voted for by the baptized members

amother

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 3:29 pm
1. Do the Amish use corporal punishment?
2. Do they hug their children?
3. How do they handle psychological problems like anxiety, OCD, schizophrenia, and more.
4. Do they take shots?
5. Does everyone get along or are there politics and drama?
6. How many leave? Can you still speak to your families if you leave?
7. You were megiuer but probably without a bracha right?

amother

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 3:40 pm
bluebird wrote:

I can only speak for my community but we have rules. First they need to love among us for 2 years while they learn the language and are taught the ins and outs of the community. they live with a host family during this time to help them with the process. Most people do not make it this far. Two or three weeks and they are out if there. The work is very hard and it is difficult to be away from technology for some folks. Then you go through baptism class and yo learnntje specifics of the church. Then confession, then yoi are voted in or kicked out of the people don't think you are a good fit for our community. Then you are baptized and that's it.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 3:43 pm
southernbubby wrote:
where did you hear this because everything else I read said that not only do they accept outsiders but they have been known to take in foster children from outside and raise them Amish?

Yes, this is true especially since manynhave genetic problems from intermarrying unintentionally.

zaq

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 3:54 pm
amother wrote:
Yes, this is true especially since manynhave genetic problems from intermarrying unintentionally.

Intermarrying unintentionally? Do you mean inbreeding? Intermarriage is davka a hedge against recessive disorders, as it "dilutes" the harmful genes by bringing new genetic material into the population.

bluebird

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 5:47 pm
southernbubby wrote:
http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/breaking-amish/about-breaking-amish/

I forgot about this; a reality show about those who left.

It's a reality show. It's fake.

bluebird

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 5:48 pm
amother wrote:
I can only speak for my community but we have rules. First they need to love among us for 2 years while they learn the language and are taught the ins and outs of the community. they live with a host family during this time to help them with the process. Most people do not make it this far. Two or three weeks and they are out if there. The work is very hard and it is difficult to be away from technology for some folks. Then you go through baptism class and yo learnntje specifics of the church. Then confession, then yoi are voted in or kicked out of the people don't think you are a good fit for our community. Then you are baptized and that's it.

Interesting. Were you Amish, or Mennonite?

Do you speak Pennsylvania Deitsch?

Did you go to school after 8th grade?

amother

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 6:08 pm
bluebird wrote:
Interesting. Were you Amish, or Mennonite?

Do you speak Pennsylvania Deitsch?

Did you go to school after 8th grade?

I was old order Amish which basically means no electricity, phones in the homes, can't own or drive motor vehicle.

Yes I do speak low German it was my first language, and can read and understand high German better than I can speak it.

I went to school until I was 16 which is the law in the city we lived in...I believe it is the law everywhere...isn't it?

amother

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 6:10 pm
bluebird wrote:
It's a reality show. It's fake.

Yes the reality show was fake but the blond with no teeth, I can't remember her name right off the top of my head, is daughter of one of my grand mothers friends. They lived just a short train ride away and her and my I met her a few times. They lived in Punxsatawny (I know I spelled that wrong) I believe.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 15 2015, 6:13 pm
zaq wrote:
Intermarrying unintentionally? Do you mean inbreeding? Intermarriage is davka a hedge against recessive disorders, as it "dilutes" the harmful genes by bringing new genetic material into the population.

Yes I do mean unintentional inbreeding but I was trying to have a bit of tact, but I guess I used the wrong word.
Page 3 of 13   Previous  1  2  3  4 11  12  13  Next Recent Topics