Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
I was AMISH - AMA
  Previous  1  2  3 10 11  12  13  Next

southernbubby

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 9:49 am
zaq wrote:
Did you watch Part 2--Leaving Amish Paradise? Efrem starts to look rather different and I do not mean his beard and clothing. He is looking less like a normal and sincere individual disillusioned with the hidebound ways of his community and more and more like just another loony, bordering on dangerously loony, J***s freak.

could you provide the link to part 2 please?

southernbubby

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 9:53 am
pause wrote:
I am still only at the beginning but ...this sounds just like ex-chassidim!

I was thinking the same thing. It appears that adding chumras does not make a person more connected to Hashem, it simply makes living a religious life more demanding. These Amish were saying the exact same thing as the ex-Chassidim; that the religion had moved away from the basics and had concerned itself more with building fences than with the inner work of connecting to Hashem.

imasinger

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 10:45 am
Wow, what a great thread! Yes, please, a book. Or at least a magazine article, for starters!

OP, was your dad's family treated coldly for trying to keep your mom and her kids within the fold?

How do most of them like the "new" (current) preacher? Is anyone bothered by his high handedness in driving your family away?

It must be challenging having a DH who doesn't want a community when you have good feelings about a close community. How did you meet him?

kollel wife

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 1:16 pm
To the OP -
You don't have to consider yourself a writer to have your story published.
You would tell it to someone who is a writer, and the writer would use his/her talents to bring out the story. But a very good story you have already!!!!

However, if it does get published, you may loose your privacy and anonymity.

MRS.Mentsch

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 1:25 pm
I'm curious former Amish amother, what do you think we in the Jewish world have to learn from the Amish community? I have always been interested in the Amish community and so enjoy hearing everything you have to say. I'd also love to read a book about your life. Remember you can always have someone write the book or you could yourself but still keep your identity private should you wish.

sequoia

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 1:27 pm
It certainly seems healthier to be close to nature. I would love that aspect.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 1:29 pm
kollel wife wrote:
To the OP -
You don't have to consider yourself a writer to have your story published.
You would tell it to someone who is a writer, and the writer would use his/her talents to bring out the story. But a very good story you have already!!!!

However, if it does get published, you may loose your privacy and anonymity.

The Amish amother did not start the thread. Another poster started it about her interest in the Amish, the Amish amother answered, and everyone chimed in with interest. Then the name of the thread was changed. She probably would have to open up about who she is because the book would be more interesting with pictures of Amish life and of herself after she allowed pics.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 1:32 pm
sequoia wrote:
It certainly seems healthier to be close to nature. I would love that aspect.

It is healthy to be close to nature but from what I have observed, as well as there is a youtube about it and it was mentioned in this thread, the gene pool for the Amish is so small that there are loads of hereditary health issues as well as lifestyle issues regarding high calorie food. The life span for the Amish is the same or less than that of the average American. They also work very hard and cannot afford to relax much.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 1:34 pm
MRS.Mentsch wrote:
I'm curious former Amish amother, what do you think we in the Jewish world have to learn from the Amish community? I have always been interested in the Amish community and so enjoy hearing everything you have to say. I'd also love to read a book about your life. Remember you can always have someone write the book or you could yourself but still keep your identity private should you wish.

I am also curious as to what she thinks the Jewish world can learn but to me, it seems that the Jewish world should learn that the most important thing that a person has is his or her family.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 1:52 pm
Hi formerly amish amother:

I know you said that you would like to be a librarian. I am a librarian, and would be happy to be in touch with you. You can PM the use Hashem_Yaazor, and she can give you my email address.

anonymous to protect identity

zaq

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 2:30 pm
southernbubby wrote:
could you provide the link to part 2 please?

so sorry, I delete my history at logoff. but Google "Youtube Leaving Amish Paradise." This is about 2 years later, tells you much more about Jesse and his family and continues following Efrem and his. IMO Efrem goes off the deep end, religion-wise, just not the Amish way.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 2:42 pm
zaq wrote:
so sorry, I delete my history at logoff. but Google "Youtube Leaving Amish Paradise." This is about 2 years later, tells you much more about Jesse and his family and continues following Efrem and his. IMO Efrem goes off the deep end, religion-wise, just not the Amish way.

thanks!

mirror

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 4:21 pm
miyodea wrote:
Guessing that means children?

Do Amish women get typical prenatal medical care? Do you have community midwives or do you see medically trained doctors/midwives? How did the community address infertility?

This is a fascinating thread! Thank you so much for sharing with us.

I would also like to know if the Amish have miscarriages, stillbirths or babies who die young.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 4:30 pm
OPINIONATED wrote:
I would also like to know if the Amish have miscarriages, stillbirths or babies who die young.

According to one youtube about genetic diseases in the Amish, the cemeteries are filled with children who die young. They could have a program like Dor Yeshorim but they rejected. it.

JMM-uc

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 4:30 pm
OPINIONATED wrote:

That are human just like all of us.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 4:52 pm
southernbubby wrote:
According to one youtube about genetic diseases in the Amish, the cemeteries are filled with children who die young. They could have a program like Dor Yeshorim but they rejected. it.

No time to google Lorenzo's Oil but wasn't the disease prevalent in the Amish community?

southernbubby

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 5:14 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
No time to google Lorenzo's Oil but wasn't the disease prevalent in the Amish community?

They have Eastern European inborn error of metabolism such as Cohen's disease. Most of their genetic diseases are inborn error of metabolism or genetic cancers. I don't know if the disease in the Lorenzo oil story was prevalent in the Amish but many of their diseases are given Amish names such as Bylers disease.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 5:19 pm
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ge.....hard/

this is 10 years old but still relevant

wife2

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 8:26 pm
I posted this question before, but I didn't see an answer. Does rumspringa help weed out the rebellious/bitter teenagers from the community? Do you feel it helps people feel that they have a choice about being Amish so it makes them more sincere if they chose it? Do most people go experience the outside world or only a minority of teenagers that are unhappy go explore?

I also want to know why the Amish don't use electricity. Is it against their religion or is there another reason? What is the concept behind it? What is their view on why electricity is wrong? Is it only to be more simple?

abaker

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 9:34 pm
Please consider writing a book I'd loveeee to read it!!!!
Page 11 of 13   Previous  1  2  3 10 11  12  13  Next Recent Topics