Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
I was AMISH - AMA
  Previous  1  2  3 11  12  13  Next

pause

Post Tue, Feb 17 2015, 10:20 pm
wife2 wrote:
I posted this question before, but I didn't see an answer. Does rumspringa help weed out the rebellious/bitter teenagers from the community? Do you feel it helps people feel that they have a choice about being Amish so it makes them more sincere if they chose it? Do most people go experience the outside world or only a minority of teenagers that are unhappy go explore?

I also want to know why the Amish don't use electricity. Is it against their religion or is there another reason? What is the concept behind it? What is their view on why electricity is wrong? Is it only to be more simple?

IF you watch the documentary posted much earlier on this thread, these questions are answered. Electricity is viewed as a distraction, and the Amish seek to retain their focus on their values of family and spirituality. Electricity (and phones in the house) are distractions from those goals.

JMM-uc

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 4:48 am
I highly recommend watching "Amish a secret life" You can find it on YouTube.

workaholicmama

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 7:28 am
Thanx jmm for starting this thread! And Thanx amother for answering our questions! ! I would love to read your book!!

CPenzias

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 7:45 am
I would also love to read your book. Thank you so much for taking your time to answer so many interesting questions.
I just want to say how upset I feel for you about how you were treated in shul. Come to Linden NJ. We're an open minded and friendly community.

mandksima

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 2:07 pm
Such an interesting read! Love learning about how other people live, it really is one of my favorite things to hear about. I think the way Judaism is currently practiced can learn a lot from Amish such as communities sticking together (Achdut) and no matter how they study the Bible, the men always work. Farm life is so natural and there is no such thing as someone being too good for the dirty work. That doesn't go against anything in Judaism but I feel many of us have fallen away from these old time ways.

CPenzias

Post Wed, Feb 18 2015, 2:17 pm
I watched both documentaries. . Totally didn't do what I needed to lol but I couldn't stop Smile

mommy100

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 1:10 pm
WOW this thread is fascinating I just spent my entire lunch break reading it. Sent it to my brother the CEO of Menucha Publishers and he would be interested in speaking to you in regard to making this into a book. Please PM me or email him at manuscripts@menuchapublishers.com

amother

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 5:37 pm
Formerly Amish amother if you're still there...

I would like to ask if you miss any aspect of the rural life. I'm a convert who grew up in a Christian family in rural England. We grew our own fruits and vegetables and there were several farms around from where we could get other things. I didn't think about it at first when I moved to the city and later converted, but now I have kids of my own I realise that I wish it was a part of my life again.

I would also like to ask if there are an special ceremonies on the birth of a child, and what a typical Amish wedding dress looks like.

Also, do they have mezuzot on their doors?

I don't know if this is the one of the documentaries mentioned in this thread but I watched one where 4 Amish teens spent a month in the UK experiencing various communities there. It was frustrating to watch because I felt that they were exposed to activities they would inevitably feel uncomfortable with or be shocked by. I understand that this was all part of the show but it's a shame that they weren't shown that there are lots of people who never go to nightclubs/ don't go for manicures/ don't have relations before marriage and just live "normal" mainstream Christian lives, albeit in the modern secular world.

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 11:55 pm
amother wrote:
We lived in Pennsylvania so they were everywhere. My grandparents bought jam and eggs from an Amish family and veggies too. My mother was trying to 'find herself' and fell in love with not only my father (who was in his rumspringa at the time) but also the whole idea of being insulated from the dangers of the world. I am not sure if she was ever baptized or not, I am thinking she would have had to have been or my father would have been banned. I will have to ask her. Anyway, my mother who is a nurse became the unofficial midwife/healer for the community, delivering babies, removing splinters, being an advocate for the brethren who needed to be hospitalized. She always said that she finally felt needed and wanted, like this was the place she was always meant to be. The brothers and sisters were welcoming and loving and until the new preacher came in everything was just fine.

Sorry for opening an old thread..
" 5 secrets Amish women don't want you to know" popped up on my YouTube home page, so I decided to revisit this thread.

I was just thinking that the new preacher actually has a lot of zchusim for causing this lady to return to Yiddishkeit.. Her and all her descendants

chili-n-cholent

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 2:31 pm
BUMP
I just discovered this fascinating thread underneath all the other AMA threads and bumped it for all interested parties.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 3:06 pm
Can anyone sum up? She was Amish and became Jewish? I found that fascinating. A true seeker of the truth. Most Amish that go OTD are more then happy to enjoy the good “free” life.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 5:53 pm
There was a book written a few years ago about a woman who escaped the polygamous Mormon community and she got her children out as well and was never legally married to their father.
See who can guess the religion of her next husband?
Hint: she didn't convert but did attend services at his temple.

shanie5

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 6:44 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Can anyone sum up? She was Amish and became Jewish? I found that fascinating. A true seeker of the truth. Most Amish that go OTD are more then happy to enjoy the good “free” life.

I read this first time around. IIRC her mother was jewish who fell for and married an amish man. She later left and returned to yiddishkeit but had to go thru geirus anyway. (very short version)

GLUE

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 6:59 pm
southernbubby wrote:
There was a book written a few years ago about a woman who escaped the polygamous Mormon community and she got her children out as well and was never legally married to their father.
See who can guess the religion of her next husband?
Hint: she didn't convert but did attend services at his temple.

The book I read she married a Born Again Christian What book did you read?

southernbubby

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 7:15 pm
GLUE wrote:
The book I read she married a Born Again Christian What book did you read?

I don't remember but she married a Reform Jew but didn't want to be any religion herself.

naomi2

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 8:47 pm
Amish amother, are you still here??
This thread is fascinating I am on imamother for many years and I don't know how I missed this one. Did the book get written? I also am curious about updates in your life, if you found a community you feel at home in, how your dh has adjusted in the last bunch of years. And many more questions

amother1223

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 9:03 pm
amother wrote:
I was old order Amish which basically means no electricity, phones in the homes, can't own or drive motor vehicle.

Yes I do speak low German it was my first language, and can read and understand high German better than I can speak it.

I went to school until I was 16 which is the law in the city we lived in...I believe it is the law everywhere...isn't it?

So cool- can you understand or speak yiddish?

Oif.Simchas.

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 10:48 pm
This thread is amazing,!

peanutsmom

Post Tue, Oct 12 2021, 11:04 pm
I found this thread recently and was just SOOO fascinated by it!! Thanks amother who grew up Amish for giving us this glimpse into your former life!!

Bleemee

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 10:43 am
Anonymous posting now disabled so not sure how we’ll hear from OP
Page 12 of 13   Previous  1  2  3 11  12  13  Next Recent Topics