Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Any MM ideas for rich / fancy people
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 7:17 pm
The title says it all!!!

any ideas?

amother

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 7:24 pm
Are you the rich/fancy person, or are you dressing up as a rich/fancy person (theme) or do you want to give MM to a rich/fancy person?

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 7:33 pm
Kosher caviar and champagne? Have it delivered by limo?

Honestly, I don't understand this question. The whole point of MM is to give gifts to the people who might not have enough money for a seudah of their own. I feel like we've gotten so caught up in the modern version of this holiday that we've completely forgotten what the point is.

It's like thinking that presents are the main point of Chanukah, or that spring cleaning is the main point of Pesach.

We need to get back to our roots, and think about the messages that we are supposed to get, and what we want to pass on to our children.

Scrabble123

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 7:35 pm
FF, I think that the OP is talking about a fancy theme......... It's unclear from her op.

doctorima

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 7:38 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Kosher caviar and champagne? Have it delivered by limo?

Honestly, I don't understand this question. The whole point of MM is to give gifts to the people who might not have enough money for a seudah of their own. I feel like we've gotten so caught up in the modern version of this holiday that we've completely forgotten what the point is.

It's like thinking that presents are the main point of Chanukah, or that spring cleaning is the main point of Pesach.

We need to get back to our roots, and think about the messages that we are supposed to get, and what we want to pass on to our children.

Your point is valid, but I just want to correct what you wrote that "the whole point of MM is to give gifts to the people who might not have enough money for a seudah of their own." This is not correct. The mitzvah of matanos l'evyonim is to help ensure that the poor and less fortunate are able to have a seudah. The mitzvah of MM is completely separate, and is for the purpose of increasing ahava v'achva and showing friends, relatives, neighbors, etc. that we're thinking about them, even though they often have the means to make their own seudos.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 7:38 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:
FF, I think that the OP is talking about a fancy theme......... It's unclear from her op.

Hey, I gave her a suggestion.

The whole materialism of what we've become is just a huge pet peeve of mine. I don't think that our Avot and Imahot would be too proud of us. Sad

(I include myself in this. How many dresses have I justified by saying "I need something nice for Shabbos"? My closet is packed!)

amother

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 7:41 pm
sorry for being unclear. I need to give to some rich /fancy people and need ideas of what to give.

Please don't bash me for needing to impress, but that is the way it is

newmommy1

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 8:41 pm
Nice bottle of wine, fancy bread sticks or crackers, fancy cheeses (brie, Camembert etc.), antipasti or dips. Trader Joe's has some kosher ones. Lay it out nicely on a tray or in a fancy basket.

morah

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 8:47 pm
I understand wanting to go beyond mini Kedem bottle plus an apple and actually make something that looks nice, but you really don't have to do anything too crazy. Take it from someone who grew up rich and fancy. We got all sorts of packages. We oohed and ahhed over the really cool ones, and we enjoyed the normal ones just as much even if they didn't have a wow factor. If you care to impress, showing that you put some thought into the packaging- nice presentation, more than just the bare minimum of two foods- then you will impress, even if the contents are typical MM fare and not fancy stuff.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 10:29 pm
An assortment of crackers and dips/cheese and a nice bottle of wine in a wicker basket.

A pretty glass bowl filled with a variety of fruits and a sparkling wine.

A wooden salad bowl with ingredients for a nice salad, salt and pepper shakers, a lemon and a small bottle of EVOO.

An assortment of home made cookies in a cookie tin with bottle of coffee or vanilla liquer.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 10:50 pm
Gourmet Chocolate and a great bottle. The chocolate should not be the typical ones found in the grocery store. DH and I get showered by people trying to impress. I look forward to my Belgium chocolates each year. I have also enjoyed a smoked fish plate but we couldn't finish it

I take the baskets apart ASAP. I sort the stuff like fruit together. Home baked gets distributed to others. I have a big box where I put everything.

Imogen

Post Fri, Feb 20 2015, 5:00 am
We have received some extravagant mms with handmade chocolates, exotic fruit, organic smoked salmon, fab wine, whisky etc, lovely to get but the ones that always impress us the most were those delivered by people with their cute little kids in fancy dress, so special to get a mm from a little one all dressed up, really memorable !

Last year we received a lovely small basket with a little box of chocolate strawberries with a bottle of liqueur, but the icing on the cake was the little people delivering it, a pair of toddlers dressed up as strawberries themselves! Op of course choose nice quality products, but they do not have to be big or overly extravagant, if you can make it a joyful handing over then Purim mm becomes really special.

imasoftov

Post Fri, Feb 20 2015, 5:44 am
amother wrote:
sorry for being unclear. I need to give to some rich /fancy people and need ideas of what to give.

Please don't bash me for needing to impress, but that is the way it is

You NEED to?

To heck with "the way it is". Take "the way it is" out to the backyard and wring its neck until it dies in pain. If you don't have a backyard, throw it under a bus.

Iymnok

Post Fri, Feb 20 2015, 8:45 am
The same thing you give anyone else. Unless you have hakaras hatov to them.
Rich people also don't need frivolous junk that gets dumped anyways. They need to be treated like the people they are, not the possessions they have.

amother

Post Fri, Feb 20 2015, 9:10 am
Op here,

I asked for ideas. If you have any please share them. My question was NOT should I or should I not impress people.

For those that gave me ideas, thanks!!

imasoftov

Post Fri, Feb 20 2015, 9:17 am
amother wrote:
Op here,

I asked for ideas. If you have any please share them. My question was NOT should I or should I not impress people.

For those that gave me ideas, thanks!!

I would like to drill some holes in my skull. Please let me know the best type of drill to use. I am not asking whether I should.

JAWSCIENCE

Post Fri, Feb 20 2015, 9:20 am
It is not crazy to say "need to" or "that's the way it is". For many people MM are actually a business expense. If you are a party planner for destination weddings and have several very wealthy clients who refer friends, then you might "need to" send them a very fancy MM as a thank you for providing you a parnossah and to help them remember you. And that would just be the way it is. Or someone who sells cakes/cookies for simchas might want to distribute some fancier items around the neighborhood with a business card to try and show people their wares.

Trying to outdo everyone else just for the sake of it is a little silly, and spending money one does not have is inexcusable but for plenty of people there are reasons to send a fancy MM.

*coming form a person who gives 5-10 MM a year and sends mostly homemade items.

Leahh

Post Fri, Feb 20 2015, 9:28 am
imasoftov wrote:
I would like to drill some holes in my skull. Please let me know the best type of drill to use. I am not asking whether I should.

I dont know op or the reason for needing to give a nice Mishloach manos but as jawscience said there are valid reasons for doing it.
I give 2 nicer mishloach manos to 2 people that I feel I owe hakaros hatov to. I buy more expensive foods than I would put in a regular mishloach manos and that I know they will enjoy and wrap it on a nice dish with a bottle of wine.I don't send them gifts or money other times of year so this is my way of showing hakaros hatov.
Whatever op's reason is, it may very well be valid.

luppamom

Post Fri, Feb 20 2015, 9:50 am
What about giving something already packaged and wrapped from a tzedaka organization? It will cost you more money (I doubt the $10 or $18 will be sufficient), but you won't have the hassle of buying the stuff and assembling it. You will be giving tzedakah which you will appreciate AND the rich/fancy person will appreciate!

morah

Post Fri, Feb 20 2015, 9:51 am
imasoftov wrote:

Why do you care that she wants to impress people? Is she taking scholarships at your school while you struggle to pay full tuition? Is she spending food stamps on a box of Godivas due to this need to impress? So she wants to impress. Maybe it's not necessary, so what? How does it harm you if she chooses to make a little more work and expense for herself to impress a few people?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics