Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Fish Substitutions for Homemade Gefilte Fish

MidwestSpring

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 2:56 pm
So this year, I decided that I would like to try making homemade gefilte fish for Pesach. I live out of town and after trying several fish markets, it seems that I won't be able to source whitefish and pike locally. Has anyone had any luck substituting different kinds of fish for the pike and whitefish? Since it is a bit of a "patchke", I don't want to make this if the results would be iffy.

Or should I just table this idea?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 6:24 pm
MidwestSpring wrote:
So this year, I decided that I would like to try making homemade gefilte fish for Pesach. I live out of town and after trying several fish markets, it seems that I won't be able to source whitefish and pike locally. Has anyone had any luck substituting different kinds of fish for the pike and whitefish? Since it is a bit of a "patchke", I don't want to make this if the results would be iffy.

If you like the taste of carp (it has quite a prominent flavor), you can make it of carp fish.

My local fishmonger makes carp gefilte fish loaves for Pesach (I think it's a chumra thing among some) and we look forward to buying it all year. It's a nice Pesach addition.

You really need to know how to make gefilte fish for it to succeed and taste good. Have you made it before or do you need pointers? I would also suggest you buy a pound and a half of ground fish to try making one loaf before you go out and spend a fortune of pounds of fish that will not end up on anyone's plate. It can be done and it can be great Smile

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 7:36 pm
In tosh and viznitz they make falsha fish from chicken

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 7:46 pm
MidwestSpring wrote:

In the years I made it I made it from carp and pike if I could get the pike. If not just carp. And yes, I had a carp in a tub, but not the bath tub.

greenfire

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 8:12 pm
I used to make gefilte fish ... I would never try it without the pike & white ... but then again I'm picky and don't like fishy fish

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 8:14 pm
Greenfire, I've used rock fish as a substitute with success.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 8:21 pm
I make gefilte fish all year using salmon and potato starch, so it's 'Pesach'dik' all year.

MidwestSpring

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 9:22 pm
ra_mom wrote:
If you like the taste of carp (it has quite a prominent flavor), you can make it of carp fish.

My local fishmonger makes carp gefilte fish loaves for Pesach (I think it's a chumra thing among some) and we look forward to buying it all year. It's a nice Pesach addition.

You really need to know how to make gefilte fish for it to succeed and taste good. Have you made it before or do you need pointers? I would also suggest you buy a pound and a half of ground fish to try making one loaf before you go out and spend a fortune of pounds of fish that will not end up on anyone's plate. It can be done and it can be great Smile

Yeah so this would be my first time making it. I was planning on using the recipe from The Kosher Pallette. I could find out if the fish market carries carp, but I'm nervous about what it would taste like based on what you're saying. Also, I would be grinding it myself in a food processor. So bummed I can't get white fish and carp.

All that being said, I will happily accept any pointers you may have Very Happy

Also, thanks for everyone's suggestions!

greenfire

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 9:28 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Greenfire, I've used rock fish as a substitute with success.

I've never heard of rockfish ... you learn something new

it appears to be similar to cod fish

greenfire

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 9:31 pm
a nice tip is to put in a lot of eggs ... this way it binds without extra fillers such as matzo meal which makes it gebrocht or potato starch which just makes it starchy for no reason

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 9:50 pm
greenfire wrote:
I've never heard of rockfish ... you learn something new

it appears to be similar to cod fish

It's a bit finer textured than cod and far less fishy. I would think that sand dabs or flounder would work instead of pike.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 10:29 pm
MidwestSpring wrote:
Yeah so this would be my first time making it. I was planning on using the recipe from The Kosher Pallette. I could find out if the fish market carries carp, but I'm nervous about what it would taste like based on what you're saying. Also, I would be grinding it myself in a food processor. So bummed I can't get white fish and carp.

All that being said, I will happily accept any pointers you may have Very Happy

Also, thanks for everyone's suggestions!
Mix the carp with another white fish. I have seen recipes that call for cod and grouper. (And I know of so many classic recipes that call for a mix of pike, carp and white fish).

The trick to great texture homemade gefilte fish is mixing the ground fish mixture with dough hooks in a processor for a loooong time. You will need the right seasoning too.

Let me see if I can find the recipe.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 10:37 pm

Last edited by amother on Sun, Feb 12 2023, 4:25 pm; edited 2 times in total

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Feb 19 2015, 10:50 pm
I've never used a food processor for this, I always used the meat grinder attachment for my Kitchen Aid, and mixed by hand.

I would lightly season and prepare a couple of testers (boiled) to see if the seasoning had to be adjusted. My Great Aunt always made stock from the fish head, skin and bones and that's what I've used to boil them, but just a touch of sugar, we didn't like ours very sweet.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics