Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
What to save for next year ??
Previous  1  2

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Apr 11 2007, 8:03 pm
Spices become less potent, potato starch can get buggy. Bracha vhatzlocho, putting away deodorant etc isn't foolproof - what if something new is found outt during that year...

downsyndrome

Post Wed, Apr 11 2007, 8:23 pm
I want to relate a saved-from-last-year-potato-starch-story.

My sister's friend's mother baked a cake one year for Pesach with potato starch from the previous year. Now, I don't know whether it was an open can of starch or still originally sealed. Anyway, the family started to eat the cake and they all started to choke! It tasted like there was perfume in it! You guessd it! It was the stale potato starch! Never again did this woman save food items from year to year.

Mommy3.5

Post Wed, Apr 11 2007, 9:34 pm
I have saved KLP macoroni, Ketchup, cocoa, Starch, vanilla sugar, spices also. I only put it away if it is sealed though. I don't put away anything that will be used during the year, like canned fruit, tomatoesauce, also spices cause it will be used and the cost is minimal.

For those of you who save oil. HOW???? my oil usually goes bad in a matter of weeks during the year.....

lotte

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 8:50 am
withhumor wrote:
I save everything, as long as it’s closed well, wrapped well with at least a garbage bag and a box, then store din a cool dry place (no damp basements) then it will be perfect! This year I used up my oil from 9 years ago, I still have the salt though, for the 10th year you can yuck all you want but in the end, I’m saving myself on those food orders every year. I save everything, even coffee. If something looks funny on pesach, I buy a new one.

OMG I wanna puke! Puke Puke
It does not look bad maybe...but it tasted HORRIBLE!
How can you store coffee for a year?the aroma is GONE!
Ask any coffee-maven!
I save NOTHING!
Why cant we use Peasch products throughout the year?
Personally, I have never heard of people saving peasch food from 1 year to the next!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ChavieK

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 2:39 pm
I mentioned before, when you open the can of potato starch you can smell right away if it is rancid. Most of the products are the same year round so if it's a few cents more for Pesach I still just use it up. Pesach only things like ketchup,yes I use it all year but we like Heinz, may as well try to save or it will go in trash anyway.

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Apr 12 2007, 2:50 pm
I save the sealed potato starch because I don't use it during the rest of the year. Matzahmeal does not get put away since I DO use it year-round.

Spices and dried herbs lose their potency, so I don't save that.

Baking cocoa is saved, even though I use it year-round. Vanilla sugar is saved as is sealed bottle of walnut oil (mainly because it's so expensive).

Papergoods I use during the year, but the plastic table covers get put away, since I don't use it year-round.

miri123

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 9:26 pm
greenfire wrote:
I never buy those extras cause they are just nauseating ... but my dd made me cause she can't live without ketchup ... sooooooooo... groosssssssss... anyway it was worth $2.35 to make her happy ... she ate it with everything well almost... I think that was to prove to me it was worth it

So funny green the ketchup for Pesach is made with sugar and not corn syrup that is the main difference and actually tastes better so today I bought two bottles of the Pesach one to keep or sometimes I buy isreaeli one made with sugar but that is EXPENSIVE.
Many things that are made with corn syrup just switch to sugar for Pesach and they taste better (jams and coke, etc) and sugar it is actually better for you that high fructose corn syrup.
In anycase the only thing I save is salt, once I saved paper goods but when I opened them they were yellowish, sorry I do ssave plastic cutlery, aluminum foil, kosher foil pans, disposable gloves, soap, toothpaste(yuck). CM asked about space and how much you are actually saving and I think that is the clue at what to save really.
After Pesach as I was packing I wrote down what we had and what we need for next year, I already have my next Pesach shopping list LOL, I'm filing it with my planner.
Hatzlacha in getting back to normal b4 Shavuos Wink

poelmamosh

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 11:26 pm
some pple save things from yr to yr for Pesach as an extra hiddur, as in, if there is chometz in something produced this year it will not be edible by next.
I have no idea though whether this is some hungarian housewife's idea or something that has a halachic basis

miri123

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 11:34 pm
poelmamosh wrote:
some pple save things from yr to yr for Pesach as an extra hiddur, as in, if there is chometz in something produced this year it will not be edible by next.
I have no idea though whether this is some hungarian housewife's idea or something that has a halachic basis

I don't understand, you mean "this" year, next Pesach, or "that" yr the product was manufactured

poelmamosh

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 11:50 pm
what you bought this year for Pesach (5767) and put away will be used next year (5768) and if there was any chametz in it (minute, of course) it would go bad (like the potato starch in down's mother's sister's friend's cake)

MyKidsRQte

Post Thu, Apr 19 2007, 12:22 am
This year is going to be the first time saving Potato Starch(I have 3 cans left). Spices I put for year round use.

downsyndrome

Post Thu, Apr 19 2007, 7:42 am
poelmamosh wrote:
what you bought this year for Pesach (5767) and put away will be used next year (5768) and if there was any chametz in it (minute, of course) it would go bad (like the potato starch in down's mother's sister's friend's cake)

Wow! You're great with apostrophes!

shalhevet

Post Thu, Apr 19 2007, 7:57 am
poelmamosh wrote:

Why should the chometz go bad quicker or slower than the actual food? Wink

poelmamosh

Post Thu, Apr 19 2007, 1:59 pm
that is the nature of grain, as opposed to something dried like sugar, spices...salt (a mineral),

dunno if this is "osgehalten". Like I said, I have no source

hila

Post Thu, Apr 19 2007, 2:17 pm
A "can" of potato flour ?
I dont remember how we bought it in England.
But here I only ever saw it in plastic bag packages.

And I keep my salt, instant coffee, some spices - like pepper, and lots of plastic cutlery. we hardly use any in the year.

And I always buy the fresh garlic for pesach - it is always in season the week before pesach, and lasts for months

chen

Post Fri, Apr 20 2007, 2:28 pm
hila wrote:
A "can" of potato flour ?
I dont remember how we bought it in England.
But here I only ever saw it in plastic bag packages.

Gefen and Manischewitz sell potato starch in round foil-lined cardboard canisters.

I used to put away as much as I could--spices, dishwash, toothpaste, cake meal, matza meal, cocoa, coffee, tea,sugar, vinegar, canned goods, you name it. I've since learned that some items are either the same price or not much more expensive for Pesach than for year round, some things are pesachdik year-round, anyway, and other things will not spoil but will taste like dust after a year and certainly after two. One has to calculate cost/benefit: will the convenience of putting this away be worth the space that it takes up? With each passing year, I put away less and less.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics