Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Ideas and Tips Please

shoy18

Post Fri, Apr 20 2007, 9:10 am
I just started training my 32 month old boy, I took off his diaper yesterday and wanted him to run around naked but he refused so I put just pj pants on no diaper. I took him to the bathroom about 100 times yesterday and he managed to make a poop on the toilet but the peeing he just stands there, and then makes in his pants at anytime.

How do I know if he has to pee, I take him every 10-20 min and he stands there and we count and sing and then he says "Im finished" and then I wait another 10-20 min and take him back. is their anyway to know if he needs to make?

Im new to this as this is my first.. any help will do

amother

Post Fri, Apr 20 2007, 9:44 am
I always teach the boys sitting first. Also I would give him loads to drink so that he really would have to go often. One of my boys loved this book http://www.amazon.com/Once-Upo.....=8-10. After each succes I used stickers on a chart that added up to a prize. We took the chart to the toy store to "pay" for a prize he chose himself.

shoy18

Post Fri, Apr 20 2007, 12:15 pm
His morah insists I teach him standing up so I am going to oblige. He is not a big drinker at all.

baseballmom

Post Fri, Apr 20 2007, 12:18 pm
shoy18 wrote:
His morah insists I teach him standing up so I am going to oblige. He is not a big drinker at all.

What about using a special drink that you usallyl don't have in the house. We used lemonade and DS loved it and drank it up - we went through a 64oz container in 1 day - with help from his siblings

chanab

Post Fri, Apr 20 2007, 1:21 pm
Quote:
His morah insists

Just love these morahs. If he is more likely to "go" sitting then that is how he should learn. Many kids learn sitting first and then a few weeks later stand.

shayna82

Post Fri, Apr 20 2007, 1:35 pm
what does his morah have to do with you and your child and one of the most important millestones a toddler will have to succeed at?

get a video of a kid going to the potty

get a book for him, and for you on tips

each kid is so different, its hard to say. I dont even remember how it started wiht my oldest. he trained really early, and it all just fell into place.

rewards definitly work.

have him take a bath, and keep saying, do u have to pish? and when he starts pisihg in the bath, as most do, just pick him up and put him on the toilet. he will start to get the hint, that the pish bleongs there, and we rush to do it.

good luck its not easy

MOM222

Post Fri, Apr 20 2007, 2:47 pm
Definetly start with sitting. At that age you don't have the patients to stand and wait. By sitting he could sit 2-3 minutes.

shoy18

Post Fri, Apr 20 2007, 3:14 pm
his morah takes all the kids to the bathroom standing, she said its better. I don't know I'm been taking him all day I just let him sit a few times, but he hasn't gone, but then again he hasn't made in his pants so I'm waiting.... he has no clue if he has to go or not... how long did it take all of you to train them?

MOM222

Post Fri, Apr 20 2007, 3:21 pm
3 days of doing what your doing now.

S.Shcwartz

Post Fri, Apr 20 2007, 3:33 pm
Shoy, each kid is different. I trained my oldest son in February. Was not fast, was not easy but not bad either. I chose to do it on vacation when he was home for six days straight. We did not leave the house. That was all we did. I got him fish jellies... he got one only if he made in the potty, not just sitting. And please ask this Morah of his to give you a break... teach him sitting. My son still does not know that standing exists. Whats the point, they'll get there one day. He did not run around naked, but wearing only underpants. Good luck. Pm me if you got any questions.

shoy18

Post Fri, Apr 20 2007, 3:36 pm
I just need him to pee in the toilet just once so he'll know how its done, but so far its just not working, I guess he needs more time.. Maybe tom will be better.

S.Shcwartz

Post Fri, Apr 20 2007, 4:10 pm
Give him more time please...good idea.

Henya

Post Fri, Apr 20 2007, 5:39 pm
I totally believe that when a child's ready, it goes 1-2-3. My oldest was 3 1/2 (yes, you read correctly) when she was toilet trained. 1 day she wore diapers & the next day she wore panties, day & night. By pushing children before they're erady for it, we're driving ourselves & them up a wall. Let children be children. They all get trained at 1 point or another!

su7kids

Post Fri, Apr 20 2007, 6:06 pm
shoy18 wrote:
his morah takes all the kids to the bathroom standing, she said its better. I don't know I'm been taking him all day I just let him sit a few times, but he hasn't gone, but then again he hasn't made in his pants so I'm waiting.... he has no clue if he has to go or not... how long did it take all of you to train them?

Do you want his Morah to train him?

I think she has overstepped her bounds here.

Anyway, what works is, when he makes in his pants, ask him "Do you remember waht that felt like before it came out?" and if he says "yes" then remind him that next time it feels like that, he should go to the bathroom and make it in the toilet.

And when he does, CHEER AND ENCOURAGE profusely

zigi

Post Mon, Apr 23 2007, 6:18 pm
have tatty show him what to do. it helped with my son.

justanothermother

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 10:41 pm

Last edited by justanothermother on Sun, Mar 02 2008, 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

shopaholic

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 12:20 pm
My son is 2.7 & all he'll do is sit on the potty for a while. He sat there the other day for the length of an U. Moishy video. He never does anything though. I'm getting nervous because he starts school in Sept & needs to be trained. He knows that he'll get a lollipo if he goes. He has watched potty videos. Still nothing. My other 2 were trained at this point.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 13 2007, 2:59 pm
HI!
I'm midway through teaching my son, he's 3 years + 4 months. We've been going around 3 weeks now and we finally have lift off.
I trained my dd around the same age and she was dry within 3 days, but she was already using the potty or toilet a couple of times a day before that.
My son was totally resistant to the whole idea, wouldn't wear pants or even pullups. We made a sticker chart and he got a sticker for every time he sat on the potty, and a piece of chocolate for every time he did something. Then I had to basically force him to sit every hour or so. After about a week of that, once he was getting the hang of it, and getting lots of chocolate, we went out and he chose his own new pants. Yesterday and today for the first time, he's been realising when he needs to go and going!!!!
He still hasn't done a poo yet in the potty, and I don't want him to get constipated, so I'm going to try some of the tips in here.
As soon as he's trained I think I'm going to start on my next dd (who's 2 and a bit), because she's showing signs of being ready already, and I'm due with number 4 in September, it would be nice to have only 1 in nappies!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training