Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
If you exchange their gift, is it still from them?

cheerios

Post Thu, Apr 19 2007, 11:17 am
I do occassionally exchange a gift that the gift giver told me is exchangeable, but I always feel bad doing so, because (1. Sometimes they worked so hard to find it and) 2. I feel the gift is not really from them anymore. Somehow, once it's exchanged, I just feel as if I bought it for myself. It doesn't remind me of the person who gave it like the original gift would. Would you just keep a gift you're not so happy with or exchange it?

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 19 2007, 12:06 pm
it would totally depend on the person ... if they would get insulted or how hard they worked ... and if they would be okay then why not ... and yes it is from them ... just with your taste ... after all that is what they want in giving a gift for you to be happy ...

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Apr 19 2007, 12:17 pm
You can't think so much into it. That's whyif I giv a gift, I includ a gift receipt.

brooklyn

Post Thu, Apr 19 2007, 1:54 pm
I think that the person who gave you the gift would want you to enjoy it not have it sit at the bottom of the closet. So if it something that I dont like I do exchange for something else.

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 19 2007, 1:59 pm
If the gift is chocolate however ... you revel in it's glory ... what could I possibly exchange it for that would be any more scrumptious!!! nada!!!

chen

Post Fri, Apr 20 2007, 1:35 pm
Of course the gift is still from them--just consider it as if they gave you a gift certificate to the store and this is what you got with the certificate. If they are true friends they would prefer you had something you like and use than something that will be relegated to the basement or sit around unused. (And if they're not true friends and gave you a gift only because it was a social obligation--then they for sure don't care what you do with it!)

chen

Post Fri, Apr 20 2007, 1:35 pm
greenfire wrote:
what could I possibly exchange it for that would be any more scrumptious!!!

In some of our cases...a smaller dress size.

MommyLuv

Post Fri, Apr 20 2007, 1:45 pm
if they paid for it, then it's their gift! dont feel guilty for exchanging.

the annoying thing is when you get a well-meaning gift that you will never use and you cant exchange it Twisted Evil which is why gift receipts are an awesome innovation!!!

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Fri, Apr 20 2007, 4:57 pm
esp. if they tell you it's exchangeable, that means they're giving you permission to exchange it!
but even when people havne't told me but I know I can exchange it, I would. Why keep something you won't use/wear...unless, of course, the receipiant will notice and be insulted...!

Raisin

Post Sat, Apr 21 2007, 5:42 pm
It also maybe something perfectly acceptable and useful and you love it, but someone else gave you the exact same thing.

Marion

Post Sat, Apr 21 2007, 9:50 pm
Can I just tell you how many unused "things" I have taking up space in my kitchen, because DH wouldn't let me exchange them after the wedding? They're all perfectly nice, but some are not my taste, some don't match anything else, some we'll never use...we got 18 glass serving bowls of various sizes and shapes. I could have easily exchanged 2 or 3 (or more!) of them and bought, gee, Pesach dishes or cutlery or placemats or...

MIL bought us a sushi set b/c DH likes Chinese and she thought it would be nice not to have to eat out of the take-out containers all the time. Great gift...but we never order Chinese because EVERYTHING has nuts in it, which I'm violently allergic to.

greenfire

Post Sat, Apr 21 2007, 10:25 pm
we never eat chinese because I am allelrgic ...

shouldn't he be able to eat foods despite your allergies ... I stopped eating a lot of things for my dh ... but it got a little tiring especially once the kids came around ... so he just got a dif version of whatever I was making ... this way we could eat too what we liked

Marion

Post Sun, Apr 22 2007, 2:09 am
No, WE never ORDER Chinese. If I make it at home I know what's in it. But both DS and myself are allergic to peanuts, and therefore we don't have any nuts or peanuts in the house. Cross-contamination is an issue for both of us and it's just not worth the risk. If we go out he can order what he wants, as long as he washes his hands and his mouth before he goes near either of us, but it doesn't come into the house.

greenfire

Post Sun, Apr 22 2007, 10:11 am
Marion - I guess if it is that bad of an allergy I understand
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics