Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Gardening
Tomatoes! Broccolini! Radicchio!

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 7:34 pm
It's planting time — well, indoors or in a greenhouse 'cause there's still snow on the ground here — for tomatoes. And onions. And broccoli. And salad greens. Veggie gardeners, what have you grown that tastes great? DS#1 built a greenhouse in the stairwell to our basement to overwinter his Biblical plant collection (really!) and so we can now start some veggies early.

greenfire

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 7:39 pm
my neighbors plant pepper varieties that do very well

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 7:40 pm
It was a warm Feb. here in the PNW. I replanted, kale, chard, Indian mustard, French breakfast radishes, raab, escarole, beets, bunching onions for every day use, and cipollini and Walla Walla onions. Also red garlic. My tomatoes, and peppers as well as flowering annuals are all started indoors. Our last frost last year was 4/20, but I tented with remay and bubble wrap since my tomatoes and pepper were already in the ground.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Mar 12 2015, 11:29 am
Cippoline onions — I could go for that.

I found broccolini seeds and bedding plants — real broccolini, the patented one that was never available in seeds till this year — being sold under the name Aspabroc.

bluebird

Post Thu, Mar 12 2015, 12:58 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
DS#1 built a greenhouse in the stairwell to our basement to overwinter his Biblical plant collection (really!) and so we can now start some veggies early.

I would love to hear more about the biblical plant collection! If you don't mind sharing.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Mar 12 2015, 7:35 pm
The plants DS#1 is growing include esrogim (of course!), capers, a tamarisk, bay laurel, and an Israeli oak — all mentioned in Tanach, Mishna, or Gemara. He has a few more, but they aren't labeled. I think he just sprouted a date palm in his apartment (wonderful dear daughter-in-law is very tolerant of DS's unusual hobbies) and is planning to grow chait melons (those tasty melons of Egypt in BaMidbar) in my vegetable bed.

I told him I could plant horseradish but he advised endive — horseradish is not authentic.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Gardening