Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Need help with Scan Disc/Defrag

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Apr 18 2007, 10:07 am
I would scan disc overnight then defrag; all in safe mode but the kids are up at all h ours and it's not convenient anympre to tie up the computer with maintenance for a day and a half.

I find I can't defrag by itself, though, the computer keeps saying it has errors.

Anyone?

amother

Post Sun, Apr 22 2007, 8:55 pm
Defrag. wont fix errors. Id ask a computer savy person to come take a look. You can easily have someone fix it for you over the internet as well. My brother out of town logs into my computer and fixes it for me when Im in a pickle.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Apr 23 2007, 10:22 am
we have to PAY someone. I don't know anyone to do it for free.

each time we want something done, it costs 80 buck minimum for the computer guy to come by.

dh doesn't want t pu tmoney into this computer anymore....says wwe should buy new . . .

su7kids

Post Mon, Apr 23 2007, 11:19 am
I have had mine for about 9 years, I think. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I am thinking.

My kids bought it for me one year.

Anyway, I got a trojan on it and it was driving me nuts. I couldn't get it off. So my son had me copy over all "my documents" and anything we wanted to save and we totally REDID the computer. He cleaned everything off the hard drive and we reinstalled all the software.

It is running like a speeding bullet now. Im in the process of going through all my documents and deleting the ones I no longer need, etc, before we move them back to t his computer, but there were 15 GIGAbytes of "my documents" (including pictures).

It has made this computer like a brand new one. It took a few hours to do it, and you have a choice, either defrag and forbid everyone fromgoing on the computer for a while, or let it crash and then everyone will be without a computer for a longer time.

I don't recommend redoing a computer if its that old as a "lechatchila", but in our case, it worked well.

rainbow

Post Tue, Apr 24 2007, 12:16 am
Can someone please explain what's all this talk about defragging? I'm totally clueless, but sounds like something I may find useful. Why would someone defrag? Pros/cons, if at all relevant? Gonna learn something new today.....

su7kids

Post Tue, Apr 24 2007, 12:39 am
The way I understand it, when you save something to your hard drive, which is spinning, it just plops the information down at the closest spot.

This leaves spaces on the hard drive not big enough to save a whole big file, so when you try to save something, it takes longer, because it has to search for a spot to put it in.

So to defrag, means to defragment, and it consolidates the files closer together.

Every time you do it, when yu touch your computer, it begins again. So its best to let it run (it can take hours, depending on how much stuff is on your ocmputer) and then come back when its done.

I hope that explains it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics