Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Give away or throw away alcohol?

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 2:35 pm
I have a ton of leftover alcohol which is chometz gamar. Would you give it away to your gardener or just throw it away?

Ruchel

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 2:37 pm
I dont throw out edible stuff someone could use. Ever. I would donate or even abandon where I know people will take.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 2:43 pm
Ruchel wrote:
I dont throw out edible stuff someone could use. Ever. I would donate or even abandon where I know people will take.

would you throw away cigarettes?

morah

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 2:52 pm
Drink it Cheers Or give it to me, and I will make sure to drink it all before Pesach Cheers Cheers Cheers

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 3:35 pm
Most people who do not sell any form of other chometz DO sell liquor. Before you assume you can't sell it you should verify that with your family's minhag and your Rav.

greenfire

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 3:59 pm
you've got to be kidding ... either drink it ... or sell it

alternatively send it to
greenfire Drunken Smile
NEOH 0-2-1-3-4

[extra points if you get the reference]

imasinger

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 7:38 pm
Ha, I had that situation a couple of years ago. We are not drinkers, so when I realized the situation, I brought everything we didn't want to the nearest Chabad Purim party.

At this point, if you're not gonna sell it or drink it, yeah, give it to the gardener. Why waste it?

I'd say give it to a worthy imamother poster, but I think you're not allowed to mail across state lines with it.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 7:51 pm
Right, I don't think it's allowed to be mailed. I gave it away to a neighbor who was interested!

greenfire

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 8:05 pm
gosharuni ~ nobody got my joke/reference ?! believe me I am busy getting rid of my own chametz

vintagebknyc

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 8:09 pm
amother wrote:

cigarettes are not alcohol, and you have no reason to be amother other than to be nasty and judgmental.

imasinger

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 8:10 pm
Greenie, you were not the only one posting to have it sent.

And that zoomin' zip code is from my neck of the woods. Just sayin....

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 8:13 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
cigarettes are not alcohol, and you have no reason to be amother other than to be nasty and judgmental.

I'm anon b/c I am the OP. I meant it seriously. My mother is a recovering alcoholic and thats why its hard for me to give alcohol to someone even though it its not related to alcoholism. I would probably give someone cigarettes but don't know how I feel about it, and I'm curious what she has to say about it. it was not judgmental but your post was too but I understand why. I'm sorry if it came off wrong.

vintagebknyc

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 8:15 pm
amother wrote:
I'm anon b/c I am the OP. I meant it seriously. My mother is a recovering alcoholic and thats why its hard for me to give alcohol to someone even though it its related to alcoholism. I would give someone cigarettes but don't know how I feel about it, and I'm curious what she has to say about it. it was not judgmental but your post was too but I understand why. I'm sorry if it came off wrong.

sorry I didn't realize you were the OP, I keep forgetting about this new "color" thing.

joystock

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 8:16 pm
Many people feel pressured to give away their chometz, since they don't wanna throw away edible food. They feel that it's "bal tashchis" to throw food away. I just wanna point out that throwing away chometz before pesach is actually a mitzvah, and there's no need to make yourself crazy to consume it or give it away.... Gut yom tov to all

greenfire

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 8:31 pm
we have mechiras chometz for a reason - it can be sold too ~ just sayin'

zaq

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 8:47 pm
amother wrote:

Cigarettes are neither chometz nor edible.

greenfire

Post Wed, Apr 01 2015, 9:30 pm
zaq wrote:
Cigarettes are neither chometz nor edible.

and yet many hold they should not be used on passover because tobaccos are soaked in alcohol, wheat and barley is found in some more detailed named ingredients and the papers are glued with rice starch ... the taste and flavours are thereby enhanced by actual chometz

rabbi blumenkrantz had always suggested in the past that one should use a nicotine patch
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics