Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Did you Love/hate Pesach in a Hotel? Tell me about it!!
Previous  1  2

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 4:39 pm
Love!!!! Totally worth the packing and laundry after.
Truth be told I've never been home for pesach embarrassed since I was a month old my grandmother has been taking all her kids, grandkids and great grandkids away for pesach.

kerida

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 4:54 pm
Went away to Miami Beach on a hotel program, first time ever.A pleasure!

amother
Black

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 4:59 pm
When young couples go away for Pesach with relatives, who usually foots the bill? Parents/Inlaws that theyre going with, or do any pay ANY of their expenses?

tichellady

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 5:18 pm
amother wrote:
When young couples go away for Pesach with relatives, who usually foots the bill? Parents/Inlaws that theyre going with, or do any pay ANY of their expenses?

We went away with my family. My parents paid for our airfare and the hotel. We would not have come if we had to pay for it as it would be a lot of money for us given our stage of life. We had a great time! The siblings all made themes tshirts and planned a few other things we knew our parents would enjoy as a way to thank them. We spent a few hundred Dollars of our own money on shirts, taxis, and a gift for my parents

amother
Black

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 5:22 pm
Oh the goodies that come with marrying into very comfortable families which you must be in order to be paying for Pesach programs for kids and their kids!

studying_torah

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 5:50 pm
Lawngreen amother- it sounds like you have a wonderful grandmother- what a treasure!!
One grandmother of mine was a treasure too ( in a different way though) & I remember her so fondly! Wish she could've known my dh and kids.

Fox

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 5:53 pm
I've never had the opportunity to go to a hotel and probably won't. Even if money were no object, my DH is hashkafically against it (perhaps since he pretty much shows up for bedikas chometz and for the sedarim and seudos).

However, a woman in my community who has a new baby and had extended family coming for Pesach did the following: She hired a Jewish caterer who kashered the kitchen and cooked or prepped everything in advance. She hired a professional cleaning crew to "do" the house in a single day. They used nice disposables and she had cleaners come during Chol HaMoed to catch up on pots and pans and sundry messes.

She loved it and plans to do it again next year. It was a fraction of the cost of going away with most of the advantages and few of the disadvantages. She liked being able to spend time enjoying her family without worrying about the constant round of cooking, etc.

Sounded like a fabulous idea to me!

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 8:12 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
I wonder what's the point of doing this, vs. just cleaning and cooking in your own home?

I have a rotating group of friends that rent a very large house every year, the advance crew arrives first to clean and kosher what is needed. The others arrive a bit laden with food, a massive number of crock pots and other kitchen gear. No children, no teens, couples and singles with the youngest at 50 and the eldest this year was going to be 79. We help defray expenses for those who may be having financial challenges.

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 8:31 pm
Hey you stole my idea
I was going to write such a thread
I went to pesach for less and had one of the best pesachs of my life

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 10:28 pm
Sounds like I shouldn't even consider going away to a hotel program until youngest is 10. I went away at age 10 and age 15 and loved it but I didn't realize how hard it would be with little ones. Totally makes sense now because I hate staying over other people's homes with them. It's easier to stay home.

morah

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 10:46 pm
amother wrote:
Sounds like I shouldn't even consider going away to a hotel program until youngest is 10. I went away at age 10 and age 15 and loved it but I didn't realize how hard it would be with little ones. Totally makes sense now because I hate staying over other people's homes with them. It's easier to stay home.

Not necessarily as hard as some are making it out to be. I go every other year- my mom always goes to a hotel and my dad always stays home (they're divorced). This year was a dad year, but here has been my experience at the hotel: For sedarim, we hire a sitter to stay in the room with sleeping children. Under 3, they go to sleep before the Seder. Last year, my oldest had just turned three and stayed up long enough to say Mah Nishtana, then I brought him back to the room, where the sitter was already with the sleeping baby. She put him to bed. At the hotel my mom goes to, the kids camp is all day from three and up, you only have to take the little ones out for meals. I didn't think it was such a bad deal, especially since I only had to worry about feeding one kid. It really was a nice vacation for me, I had quite a few hours a day to myself and I enjoyed it. Bedtime was kind of difficult, I had DH take the big one out for a stroll while I put the baby down. and then dealt with him once the baby was sleeping. It wasn't easiest thing, but hardly a disaster. Granted, my kids can sleep through each other, I know that's not true for everyone.

shiffy444

Post Mon, Apr 13 2015, 10:59 pm
From my personal experience, a hotel is great as long as you have no little kids. I went with a two year old and it was a total nightmare. He did not sleep well, he woke up a few times each night and barely napped , plus I needed to keep my eyes on him every second to make sure he didn't get lost or end up in the elevator. I could not sit for more than 2 minutes, couldn't even eat the day meals. I got a babysitter for at night, but I would get back to the room at 12 and he would be shrieking. At home he sleeps 7-7 every night. I am still exhausted from the whole ordeal. My 9 & 11year olds loved it, though.

balabusta

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 1:47 am
Just got back from Ohr Naava Phoenix program. Incredible. Went with husband and teen girl. Other grown kids could not come this year. 950 people at hotel. The attention to detail was phenomenal! The staff was told they could not say "no" to us:) Lipa and 8th Day, Shaindel, and Eli Schwebel for Chol Hamoed, along with acrobats, magicians, and Modi for comedy. Many, many kids programs, a day camp for them. The food was unbelievable. Had to pinch myself it was Pesech. Haven't done a hotel in 15 years (last one was in EY). They built a second pool just for us. Rabbi Wallerstein has a contract for 5 years. My dd17 got so much chizuk; that made it worth it alone. She made some nice choshev friends. I would do it again for sure.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Apr 14 2015, 2:07 am
amother wrote:

My parents pay the kids' hotel stay. We never ask to come, they ask us if they want us.
Personally id rather stay home.
I know some kids are easier and can be a pleasure at hotels but mine are hard. They don't sleep, they run around ( baby wanted to crawl up the stairs, toddler wanted to go to the elevator and so on), they won't sit at the table for the meals etc. So I don't feel bad to let me parents pay the bill for the hotel - it's their choice to go away ( I offered to help clean, kasher and cook) and to ask us to come.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics