Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Makeup essentials for a natural look

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 1:58 pm
I'm around 30 yo, constantly exhausted and it shows. I'd like to try makeup but don't where I should start from. What are the products I should use? I'm afraid if I go to Sephora or any place where you can get advice they will try to sell me half the store and I'll end up with products I don't need and will never use.

gp2.0

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 2:03 pm
I'd say focus on eyes. A little concealer or foundation for under eyes, liner and mascara to make you look awake, and lipstick in a color close to your own.

I'm very low maintenance with everyday makeup and that's basically what I do. Sometimes concealer on other problem areas, like large pores or acne.

sprayonlove

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 2:19 pm
I love makeup so I can give you a few general tips that are good to know. its hard to give you really specific and tailored advice without knowing more details about what you want to work on, skin type etc. thats why going to a place like sephora can actually be really helpful. They are really knowledgable and yes they will try to sell you stuff but you dont have to buy it unless you love it! They test everything on you in the store so you dont have to feel pressured to buy something you are unsure about it. That being said, it is good to go there knowing what you want more or less. The number one thing to make someone look more wide awake and bright eyed is concealer and mascara. I also recommend a tinted moisturizer or bb cream for daily wear to brighten and even your face overall. If you want more coverage you can go with foundation. I also recommend a translucent setting powder to set your makeup so it will last all day. Finally blush will give you color and will help you look more "alive" Lol. Again hard to say which color is good for you because I dont know what your skin tone is. Also a few tricks I have to make eyes look more well rested is to apply highlighter in the inner corners of the eyes. Also to apply either white eyeliner or nude eyeliner on the bottom inner water line. Anyway I really hope this helps and isnt to much information! Also there is tons of articles and tips on the internet!

aquad

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 2:29 pm
If you want a natural look, the best place to start is a simple tinted foundation.
And if you are not familiar with makeup, I'd say go to Sephora and Macy's- they'll be able to help you choose the right one. (I'd recommend Clinique.)

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 2:54 pm
No harm to start with Maybelline. They have an excellent concealer stick that never bit anyone. I have been using it since forever. They also have a good foundation in little glass pots. The sponge-on foundations are light and great. Cover Girl makes a good one.

Then it's on to a slightly tinted lip gloss.

Now see whats up with your eyes. A little neutral color, matte powder eye shadow, will do you. The idea is just to look a little more depthy.

You will want to think about a few dabs of powder blush. Prestige brand makes a good one. That part is easy. Just get a lot of different shades, all over the map, try them all, and see what makes you happy.

You will need two, two, large, large, hand mirrors, to check yourself from the side, standing right in daylight, at the window. Not direct full sunlight, indirect but full white light.

If you want some mascara, Clinique is the one, I think. Dark brown is just a warm shade of black, and might be more natural than jet black. Jet black is good too, in some circumstances, but perhaps not here. Johnson's No Tears baby shampoo will get it off easily.

I would avoid all metallic or glittery eye shadow.

Yes, more expensive eye shadow is softer looking. The cheaper stuff can work just fine however. I would spend more on lip gloss also, and any eye pencils.

Take one of everything with you, in your purse, in a little zippered bag.

A little Maybelline concealer stick over the eye, and at the sides of the nostrils, is good. It won't bite you anywhere. Under eye might be good too. For bags, draw it under the bag, not on the bag. But you probably don't have bags.

A little bit of blush at the eye or pink eye shadow will wake you up, too. Not much.

Jump in and learn.

Makeup is a luxury and should be appreciated and enjoyed as such.

Vaseline will keep your lips from chapping. Get a moisturizer cream and use it all over. Castor oil is great too. Patch test it first.

Take your vitamins and drink enough water and get some sleep. And some sun.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 3:02 pm
Thanks everyone! I have regular to dry, sensitive skin, pale in winter but can get quite dark if I go out a lot, black hair, big brown eyes, square face. I also have long thick eyelashes and wear glasses.

JMM-uc

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 3:07 pm
I don't have a foundation I love so I can't recommend one. but what I find helps a lot is primer. Never skip that step! Moisturize wait two minutes and apply a primer.

Also, I apply my bronzer and blush UNDER my foundation. It makes for a much more natural look. And looks beautiful.

4eyes

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 3:26 pm
I am very into low maintenance, natural looking makeup. I don't know how to do fancy makeup! I just add (listed below as bonus) to what I do normally.

These things are what I do every day that make me feel more awake and put together.

Minimal:
1) good moisturizer and eye cream, give it time to absorb before makeup.

2) bb cream with optional loose powder in t zone on top depending on how oily you are/how the weather is. This evens skin tone.
(I do both bB cream and moisturizer because my skin is dry and using enough bB cream for me to moisturize properly will result in a heavy look for me)

3) mascara: makes you look more awake and perky
(I have really long but light lashes and this is a huge difference in how awake I look. If yours are dark and thick maybe skip this and just curl them, which brightens your eyes)

4) pop of pink blush on apples of cheeks makes you look like you are healthy and well rested

5) lip gloss or lip stain pulls it all together.

Bonus: a little neutral or shimmer eyeshadow, eyeliner and under eye concealer (glasses tend to make these less obvious for me. When I wear contacts I always wear concealer because the circles are more apparent)

4eyes

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 3:58 pm
I forgot to add: get your eyebrows expertly done!
Always makes a big difference when they're properly shaped in terms of how they frame your face.

And if your skin is dry, or you have fine light peachy fuzz stay away from powders. For blush use a creamy formulation. This will avoid highlighting flakes or little fine hairs that catch the powder in them.

But seriously, eyebrows!

Miri7

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 4:05 pm
I wear moisturizer with sunscreen on my skin.

I found a couple of shades of neutral eye shadow that work for my skin and eye coloring (a taupe color, and slightly peachy color work for me). I'm no makeup expert so I only do one shade on the whole eyelid. I usually buy these at the drug store, so if that shade doesn't work then I'm only out a few dollars.

Sometimes I just wear a little bit of dark brown eyeliner in my lash line. Barely noticeable but makes me look more awake.

Mascara - I use jet brown from Clinique - it's better for me than a true black.

I have a couple of basic nude lipstick colors and one darker shade for evening/fancy events.

If you go into Clinique or Sephora, ask specifically for help finding one thing, like a lipstick close to your skin color, or a shade of eyeshadow, or mascara. Stay firm and tell them you aren't interested in all of the primers, base layers, etc, etc.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics