Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Adding eggs to Rebbitzen Kanievsky's recipe

Mevater

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 2:44 pm
How do the added eggs change the texture? Wouldnt the dough be too wet/limp?

Arent Challah recipes an exact science that you cant change that much? Three eggs added to the dough seems like a lot more liquid. When adding too much liquid, dough becomes too wet and limp, or not enough liquid and dough becomes too tough?

I found this on Yeshivaworld:

http://www.theyeshivaworld.com.....mmm-1

Rebbetzin Kanievsky's Challah Recipe (courtesy of the Bais Yaakov cook book)

5 cups water
4 Tbl dry yeast
1 1/4 cups sugar (I did 1 1/2)
1 1/4 cups oil
1 1/2 Tbl salt
5 pounds flour
1 egg, lightly beaten for glaze (I added 3 to the dough as well)

Place warm water, yeast and sugar in a bowl. Let sit 7 minutes until bubbly. Place mixer on low and add oil and salt. Slowly add the flour, one cup at a time. Continue adding flour, for about 10 minutes.

Remove dough from mixing bowl and place in large bowl. Cover with towel and let rise for about an hour.

Grease 5 or 6 loaf pans, depending on what size challah you prefer. At this point, take challah with a brocha. Braid the dough and place in greased loaf pans. Let rise another hour. Preheat oven to 350.

Kitten

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 3:47 pm
Put less water. I like to try or invent different challah recipes. What I do is start with just a bit of water and add more as needed. I never count the number of cups I need.

Mevater

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 4:01 pm
Kitten wrote:
Put less water. I like to try or invent different challah recipes. What I do is start with just a bit of water and add more as needed. I never count the number of cups I need.

In this recipe, all the water goes in before the flour. Anytime Ive tried to add liquid to batter or dough later than specified, the resulting cake/cookies/bread/Challah looked and tasted off. Id rather not experiment.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Apr 16 2015, 6:16 pm
Interesting. I've done some communal challah bakes where the recipe says 3 eggs (for 5 lbs. flour), OPTIONAL. I don't know how that works. I've never tried the recipe at home.
But I wouldn't mess with Rebbetzin Kanievsky's recipe. FYI, the recipe you quoted is from the BY cookbook. The one from her biography has slightly different proportions; I know because it calls for a 6+ lb. bag of flour, so when I make it with 5 lbs. of flour I basically reduce by 1/6.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads