Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
R' Kanievsky and his list of names....
1  2  3  4  Next

rain

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 2:54 pm
Can someone please list the COMPLETE list of boys/girls names R' Kanievsky advised against using. I am looking into names and although I don't use him as my Rav I figure it can't hurt to avoid these names anyway...
(Not saying I agree with it, would just like to look over them)

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 4:12 pm
Thank you. This is a spin-off of my post about the name Leora. I would like to know as well!

I do know, from trying to look into it further, that he does not approve of the name shira. That's all I know...

rain

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 6:39 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you. This is a spin-off of my post about the name Leora. I would like to know as well!

I do know, from trying to look into it further, that he does not approve of the name shira. That's all I know...

Whoops, sorry. forgot to write spinoff

ruby slippers

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 7:04 pm
wow- I wonder what is wrong with the name shira- its so beautiful and popular.

Fabulous

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 7:05 pm
eema1 wrote:
wow- I wonder what is wrong with the name shira- its so beautiful and popular.

from what I understand it's because it's not a real name, it's a shortened version of Shifra.

dimples

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 7:20 pm
But Yiddish names that have no source in Torah are? That was always my question...

ruby slippers

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 8:08 pm
Wow- I thought it just meant song or to sing- not from shifra. learn something new everyday!

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 1:49 am
Fabulous wrote:
from what I understand it's because it's not a real name, it's a shortened version of Shifra.
Whaaaaaat? Shira is most definitely a real name. The word means song or poetry. Im not sure where you heard its onlt a shortenend version.
Have you not heard of perek shira? or shairat hayam? or shir shel yom? All real words.

aqua1

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 2:00 am
Just because it is a real word doesn't mean that it is a name

zaq

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 2:45 am
can someone explain why a name that is a word in Hebrew is "not a real name" but a name that is a word in Russian or Yiddish is perfectly fine? Ah, I see dimples has the same question.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 7:08 am
I'm happy it's not my family minhag to forbid those names. I don't follow every advice I encounter.

Shuly

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 7:33 am
For those who read Hebrew, here is an interesting article from the Yated on this topic.

As for Shira, I've heard of people who Rav Chaim told to change their name but I also know someone with that name who got a bracha from Rav Chaim and he did not tell her to change her name.

saw50st8

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 7:33 am
aqua1 wrote:

All names are made up at some point in time. A name is just that which we call someone/something. The minute you use it as a name for someone it becomes a name.

imaima

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 7:39 am
I would be really pissed if someone told me to change my name... Or that of my child's.

DrMom

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 8:37 am
Is Ajax allowed? Cool

Tablepoetry

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 9:02 am
aqua1 wrote:

Then what is a name? It comes with a magic label?
All names are derived from words or sounds. People in the tanach called their kids after words with meaning.
And all the Shiras I know are named after the word song.

Scrabble123

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 9:02 am
I believe that his list has to do with having a mesorah to be used as a name and not just because it is Lashon Kodesh.. Accordingly, the name Alexander is more of a name than Shira because it's been used for hundreds of years as a name. The thing is I heard he also advises Ashkenazim to not give the name Daliah but my great great grandmother was named Daliah and se lived in Poland so I'm not really sure I fully understand his list (and doesn't almosy everyone have sefardish roots for hundreds of years ago- think of the Horowitz family which knows who their relatives were in Spain, etc?) I'm not apart of a community that follows his pasakim, but it is still interesting to discuss..

dimyona

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 9:10 am
zaq wrote:
can someone explain why a name that is a word in Hebrew is "not a real name" but a name that is a word in Russian or Yiddish is perfectly fine? Ah, I see dimples has the same question.

This is a huge peeve of mine. In my community, parents aren't expected to choose names of their own, and they almost always check it with the rebbe because giving a name is considered such a holy and powerful thing.

But so many of the names, especially girls' names, are completely secular Yiddish/Russian terms or derivatives of non-Jewish names. I have one of those names, and although I happen to like the sound of it, it has no Jewish meaning whatsoever. Wouldn't it be more Jewish to have named me something like Shira that is at least from Lashon Kodesh?

I don't have any daughters, but I hope that when I do I can choose a name that I love and that has meaning to me. I don't see how it's better to name someone after a chicken or a gold coin just because there's a mesora for it. It clearly started somewhere, and I don't think they spoke Yiddish at Har Sinai.

cbg

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 9:38 am
zaq wrote:

Sometimes, people with Yiddish names are called at the Torah by a Hebrew name. Most Motles I know are really Mordechai.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Apr 24 2015, 9:52 am
Scrabble123 wrote:
I believe that his list has to do with having a mesorah to be used as a name and not just because it is Lashon Kodesh.. Accordingly, the name Alexander is more of a name than Shira because it's been used for hundreds of years as a name. The thing is I heard he also advises Ashkenazim to not give the name Daliah but my great great grandmother was named Daliah and se lived in Poland so I'm not really sure I fully understand his list (and doesn't almosy everyone have sefardish roots for hundreds of years ago- think of the Horowitz family which knows who their relatives were in Spain, etc?) I'm not apart of a community that follows his pasakim, but it is still interesting to discuss..

so lets name our boys after alexander, who was a land hungry murderer, instead of the beautiful perek shira or shiras hayam or shiras chana or shiras devorah. cuz that makes lots of sense.
we dont name our boys after nimrod or nevuchadnetzar cuz they did bad things to the jews, but because alexander was nice to the jews, lets name our boys after him, even though he was a rutheless conqueror.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names