Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Flying with an infant

MMEC123

Post Mon, Feb 12 2007, 12:14 pm
How old was your baby the first time you flew on an airplane with him/her? How long was the flight? How was your experience (include if it had any affects on the baby's health that you know of, since they say the air in planes is lousy)?

gold21

Post Mon, Feb 12 2007, 12:23 pm
yeah I would love to hear some responses on this. im flying very soon with my 8 month old IYH

smiley:)

Post Mon, Feb 12 2007, 12:36 pm
He was 15 months and the flight was 12 hrs. No affects on his health. Going there we needed to constantly entertain him. Coming back he slept most of the way.

technic

Post Mon, Feb 12 2007, 12:41 pm
ive posted this at least x2 b4 so ill b brief..if baby has ear pressure pain on takeoff or landing, ask staff for 2 paper cups - in each one push up a paper towel moistened w hot water (make sure its well pushed up and not dripping so baby doesnt cvs get scalded) and place one over each ear...

have safe and wonderful trips iyh Very Happy

Coke Slurpee

Post Mon, Feb 12 2007, 12:54 pm
We did a nine/ten hour flight to EY when my oldest was four months old. We B"H had no problems with it.

mommy7525

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 6:04 am
we flew 12 hours when my oldest was three months and again when my baby was 6 weeks they were great each time. and believe it or not I found it a LOT easier to travel with an infant than a toddler so do it now!! LOL

HooRYou

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 6:19 am
I have to agree. We flew from Israel to the States when DS was about 3 months old. It was great. Since he was so small he got a bassinet (only on the international flight) and between the noise and the motion he slept better on the plane than at home. I never noticed any health problems.

Travelling with him when he was around 14 months was much harder since he just wanted to crawl around the plane and sit in the kitchen and watch the stewardesses.

suomynona

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 6:24 am
My advice is to take a night flight.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 8:31 am
We flew with DS the first time when he was 12 days old (7 hours). He was absolutely fine, slept the whole way, I had to wake him for feeds. We did the return flight 2 weeks later, then after his Pidyon Haben flew to Israel (5 hours). When he was 3 1/2 months old we flew Israel to England to Brazil, and then back when he was 5 months old.
The flights were so easy - we either held him, or he slept in the bassinet, slept pretty well. He didnt seem in pain either. They say to nurse at take off and landing, so I tried, but he wasn't always interested. Some of the time he was sucking on his pacifier, but sometimes he was just sleeping - it didnt wake him.
The first time we flew, we had a letter from the midwife to say it was fine for us both to fly then - I think it was harder for me! I had stitches, so couldn't sit very well, but I brought a cushion with me, and then I felt very faint waiting on line in the immigration hall. I did not notice any effect, he never caught a cold, bh...etc.
We are flying again in 2 weeks, and he is now a VERY active 9 month old, kah - more worried about this time than any of the others!

amother

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 9:24 am
it depends on the age of the infant. my pediatrician warned me about flying with my six week old. the air in the plane, the altitudes of travel etc are too traumatic. also, such little babies have little immunity to all the germs in the plane and in the airport. I flew with my baby who was eight months old and it was not a problem at all.

Marion

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 9:46 am
Just over 5 months. If you are nursing, I would recommend doing so during take off and landing. Otherwise if you're using a pacifier, make sure it's in his mouth. DS had an ear infection a few days before we left, but it didn't cause any trouble during the flight (Israel to Toronto, so 11 hours). I'd say time the flights (if possible) so they fit in as well as possible with the baby's regular schedule. And CHECK IN ONLINE if at all possible...it means you can get to the airport a full hour later without a problem, which is important with a little one.

Bored

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 12:45 pm
how do you check in on line?

Meema2Kids

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 12:52 pm
We flew with one baby from EY when he was 3 months old, then with another baby to and from EY when he was 4.5 months old. I nursed on take-off and landing. We got the bulk head seats and the basinet. Babies slept most of the time. Definitely easier than traveling with a toddler. We had a stroller for the older child(ren) and carried the infant in a sling or baby bjorn, in the airport.

Jo

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 1:40 pm
We flew with my 2 week old son from NY to London (about 7 hrs).
He slept in the bassinet the whole way except one wake up for a feed.
We made sure he was feeding/sucking on a pacifier for the take off and landing and he was absolutely fine....no ill effects whatsoever either during or after the flight.
I agree that it is MUCH harder to fly with an older child - we flew when DS was 11 months old and it was a NIGHTMARE!
Once he was around 2 it started to get easier again.

shayna82

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 1:42 pm
o man. we are iyh going to l.a. in two weeks with our 3 1/2 and 21 month old boys... any tips on how not to loose it

mannyzmom

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 3:18 pm
it depend on the age. I flew with my son when he was 4 mths, 6mths, 10 mths, and 18mths. all on long flights (12hrs) and short 1-2 hr ones as well.
no health concerns, unless if he already has a cold his ears will probably hurt more than usual. usually my sons didnt hurt. nurse or give a bottle during take off and landing. def. all the trips before he was 18mths were so easy compared to when he was 18 mths. it was soooooo hard chasing after him up and down the aisles for 12 hrs!! he wouldnt sleep... when he was younger he slept, stayed in the bassinet, went in the baby bjorn which I couldnt have done without. also I travelled with out dh so its def. alot easier with him. we took turns watching him. when theyre older bring lots of toys, snacks, dvds, whatever he likes. I found it better when he was older to sit in a reg. seat and try to get another one empty next to u rather than bulkhead bc its hard with stuff in bulkhead bc theres no chair in front of u to put your stuff.
I tried something to make him drowsy when he was older but it had opposite effect on him so be careful!! when he was older I took alot of trips to the bathroom , that really entertained him for a while.
if u have anymore questions u can pm me.

smiley:)

Post Tue, Feb 13 2007, 3:21 pm
It depends on the age but also on the kid. Some 7 month old, worked up kids can be harder than a 15 month old

BennysMommy

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 9:57 am
we flew from ny to argentina when benny was 4 months. I flew back again to ny when he was 6 1/2 months and then back to argentina. he had no problems at all! they were all night flights though and hes a very good sleeper b'hSmile
btw even if u didnt buy a seat for the baby...bring a carseat along in case there is an extra seat. if there isnt theyll gate check it for u.

elisecohen

Post Thu, Apr 26 2007, 5:42 pm
I'll be flying just me and baby about 5 weeks post-partum (post-csection no less). We never fly anywhere so this will be the first time I've ever flown with an infant except on a small private plane. I'm a little overwhelmed at the thought of the car seat, stroller, luggage, etc. I guess I'll check the car seat and stroller, have baby in a sling or carrier at the airport, and do my best to pack light (I'll be going to Salt Lake City for about 3 days but I'll have to bring in all my food of course).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics