Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
ASAP!Use challah dough that's been a a fridge since Monday?

OutATowner

Post Fri, May 08 2015, 3:46 pm
It smells a little yeasty. It's been in the fridge since Monday. It feels good though.
Should I use it?

oliveoil

Post Fri, May 08 2015, 4:10 pm
no way. will taste sour.

zaq

Post Fri, May 08 2015, 4:14 pm
Of course it smells yeasty--those little yeast critters have been proliferating just as they should. The dough won't hurt anyone, but it may be "over-risen" meaning the gluten, which is what holds the bread together, has stretched past the breaking point and the dough will no longer trap the gas and rise. So poison it won't be, but it may have the density of a brick. If you were faithfully punching the dough down all week, and you can still stretch the dough to translucency, it should rise just fine once you bring it to room temp. If you bring it to room temp and it doesn't rise, either it's overrisen or the yeast is dead. Either way, that bread is BDE. You could maybe roll it out into snakes and bake pretzels.

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, May 08 2015, 4:16 pm
It may have a richer flavor than usual — nothing wrong with that!

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 08 2015, 4:16 pm
It will make a dry crumbly challah but if you want to try it with a small round roll you can.

OutATowner

Post Fri, May 08 2015, 7:36 pm
Thanks for the replies. It was one of the fluffiest doughs I've ever had! It didn't smell as bad after it baked but has a slight after taste. But my pickiest eater ate a roll and then took a second, so maybe I'm just neurotic. I quickly put up another batch though. At least now I know it's not bad if I give it to my kids. Good shabbos!

Frumdoc

Post Sat, May 09 2015, 7:44 pm
Some things taste great when using yeastier dough, like pretzels, bagels, or flat breads. I personally really like the yeasty taste, especially with a great salad of grilled veg and a sharp feta cheese and homemade humus. Delicious, making me hungry to think about it!

ra_mom

Post Sat, May 09 2015, 9:24 pm
OutATowner wrote:
Thanks for the replies. It was one of the fluffiest doughs I've ever had! It didn't smell as bad after it baked but has a slight after taste. But my pickiest eater ate a roll and then took a second, so maybe I'm just neurotic. I quickly put up another batch though. At least now I know it's not bad if I give it to my kids. Good shabbos!
How did the challah taste the next day, shabbos afternoon?

OutATowner

Post Sat, May 09 2015, 9:58 pm
I used my back up batch, but tasted the old one. It was the same. Great texture but slight aftertaste and slight yeasty odor. Won't be doing it again but glad I didn't poison anyone!

zaq

Post Sat, May 09 2015, 10:20 pm
What you had was sourdough challah. If you had retained a small piece of the dough, added some water and flour and kept it in your fridge, you could have used it to make your next batch of challah rise. (Assuming you like the taste of sourdough. Not everyone does.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads