Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Voting Questions continued...
Previous  1  2  3

Tefila

Post Thu, Feb 03 2005, 8:45 pm
Quote:
in regards to whether or not women are amei haaretz, how many women are more learned than thier husbands for starters...?

There are lots of women RG Exclamation Exclamation And no I am not one of them Wink

gryp

Post Thu, Feb 03 2005, 8:47 pm
lots of them? maybe we should do a poll here and see. I am definitely not.

Tefila

Post Thu, Feb 03 2005, 8:49 pm
So that makes two of us that are not. Wink C'mon whose going to admit they are even if it's true! I didn't say the majority I said alot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Motek

Post Thu, Feb 03 2005, 8:50 pm
mp wrote:
I am considering call CHJCC, but I don't know how to ask this and not be offensive. Any suggestions ?

no use in calling the CHJCC

you need to call a rav like Rabbi Osdoba or Rabbi Shwei

you can say: May I please know why women were not allowed to participate in the community elections?

if asked why you want to know, you can say: I'd like to be able to quote a Torah source for this

Quote:
Also, your quote seems to imply that women are amei hooretz. Is that what you meant to say ?

yes
the question is, many men are too but all men were allowed to vote in that election nevertheless

I think that you too yehudis are more learned than some men. It's all relative you know ...

new question: what is an am ha'aretz? how little do you have to know to qualify? Wink

mp

Post Thu, Feb 03 2005, 9:18 pm
Eh... calling Rabbi Osdobah and asking this would be seen as chutzpadik and a total waste of his time. He is very, very busy. Hard to get hold of for real shailos, never mind hashkafah questions that are not nogeia l'maaseh. I do not know about R. Shwei.

gryp

Post Thu, Feb 03 2005, 9:21 pm
why dont you just call the beis din?

Rivka

Post Mon, Apr 25 2005, 5:35 pm
Ok I was looking for this thread. First of all, there is no halacha saying women cannot vote, so I don't know where that came from.
The only thing a woman cannot do is judge a case where it is between life or death as it says in the gemara regarding life or death judegment women are daas kallos. Weak minded.
But they can judge on other cases. Take Devora, she was a very great person in her time, she was a prophetess and a judge and it says people went to her for advice and she would judge cases.
So why again can women not vote?

Rivka

Post Mon, Apr 25 2005, 5:36 pm
Oh I asked a Rabbi about women not voting and women being judges.

Motek

Post Tue, Apr 26 2005, 12:07 pm
about women and judging - my "Medrash Says" - Haftoras, on parshas Beshalach which is about Devorah, says that a woman may not be a judge in a beis din. Devorah may have judged in in either of these ways:

1) She was permitted to decide money matters provided both parties agreed.

2) She instructed the male judges how to formulate decisons (Tosafos Gittin 88b).

Rivka

Post Tue, Apr 26 2005, 1:21 pm
It talks about the actual bes din that was in those times that we do not have now.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics