Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Yelled at 4 year old - guilt eating me up

amother
Seashell

Post Sat, Jun 06 2015, 5:15 pm
She was at the end of a long, stimulating morning. Then she saw me and starting wailing hysterically in a way that really gets under my skin. It seemed to me in the moment that she was exaerating (we were in public, in the middle of a crowd). I reacted by yelling at her to stop crying. Later on she brought up the scenario, she said 'Ima dont yell at me, I wanted you to hold me'. My little girl needed her mothers reassurance and I yelled at her. Guilt is eating me alive.
Can anyone share thoughts, advice???

werty

Post Sat, Jun 06 2015, 7:08 pm
We make mistakes. 1)Validate and 2)Apologise!!!

She will learn the skill of apologising, and this will have been a learning curve for everyone.

Shuly

Post Sat, Jun 06 2015, 7:17 pm
Agree with the above. Also, remember that kids are very forgiving of their parents. She will see that you are sincere, so you should not feel guilty.

gp2.0

Post Sat, Jun 06 2015, 10:02 pm
Definitely apologize.

Btw you are doing something right that she is able to articulate her feelings so well!

We all make mistakes. She'll learn that grown ups make mistakes sometimes too, and everyone has to apologize after a mistake or inappropriate behavior.

PAMOM

Post Sat, Jun 06 2015, 10:18 pm
Since you're so upset, I'm assuming you don't typically yell at her. It's a BIG deal for kids to realize that they deserve apologies when they're called for. They feel empowered and validated in a good way. What she'll remember is your concern for her and your desire to make things right, not that you yelled at her. You're also
modeling good behavior for her by apologizing. Give yourself a break!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers