Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Training to be a Personal Trainer

amother

Post Fri, Jul 02 2010, 8:44 am
Is anyone here a personal trainer? I am thinking to go into that, I am just wondering what the demand is, if I will be able to make it after spending all that money on the course. I am looking for some sort of career, something that I enjoy, (not for the money, B''H my husband has a good job), and this mostly fits the bill. Any input?

suzyq

Post Fri, Jul 02 2010, 10:01 am
My mom is a personal trainer and she loves it. The only thing to keep in mind is that you might have to work nutso hours - people want to be trained outside of work hours. Of course, there are people who don't work, but a lot of the demand is before and after regular work hours. Also, depending on how you set it up and where you work, you will most likely be a contract employee and have to give a percentage of what you make to whatever gym you work out of.

MrsDash

Post Fri, Jul 02 2010, 10:05 am
The health/fitness related field is booming now! The percentage of American's who are overweight and/or obese is at an all time high. You have endless possibilities from working in a gym, giving classes, one on one, etc. Success as a personal trainer varies depending on your level of experience, the type or quality of certifications you obtain, whether there is a college degree or prospects of higher education in the horizon, dedication to your clients, positive feedback and results. Some trainers get certified, and immediately charge $50 an hour for a session. It takes a lot of dedication, hard work, continuous education, etc. Many women, and teens are uncomfortable working out at a typical gym (even women only ones) or going to classes. As a personal trainer, you can give them the confidence to be able to walk into a spin class without feeling self conscious. It's a lot of fun, and you get to schedule training sessions any time that's most convenient, and still retain the "stay at home mom" status. I say, go for it! You will not regret it Smile

amother

Post Fri, Jul 02 2010, 12:18 pm
Thank you for the positive replies. I am a bit nervous doing something like this, as the last time I took a course, it was a complete disaster - I took a Real Estate course, my paperwork and license came through a week AFTER the market crash. But I do think this is something I would enjoy, although I still need to ask around what the demand around here is. AND I still need to get my GED LOL.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 04 2010, 7:54 am
ha! I was just looking into it for my husband :-)
I live in a small town in europe and my husband and a lot of other yidden are training by a goyshe personal trainer and I think its a good that a yid should take over!

you should definitely think about it! my only problem is that my husband cannot really train in a goyshe school together with ladies! so we are thinking of a solution.

we have a lady here and she gives lots of classes for ladies, sil also did this course and gives group lessons at home.

Good luck!

NativeMom

Post Mon, Jul 05 2010, 4:19 pm
My husband is a certified personal trainer and he loves it! He has private clients, doesn't work through a gym. He trains them at home or he goes to theirs. He also invested in some workout equipment of his own and it was so worth it. He does this in addition to a full time job.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 6:21 am
Bumping this!

I'd really like to hear from anyone who is a personal trainer. What is training like? What are the most preferred, conventional steps to become certified? What are the hours and pay like?

TIA!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise