Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Looking for info about Rochester yeshiva h.s.

Coke Slurpee

Post Tue, Jun 02 2015, 1:41 am
I know its the end of the year, but my son still does not have a place for High School next year. He was accepted to a certain yeshiva which then decided to close their ninth grade. So we are back at square one trying to find a good school for him. If anyone has any info on the boys high school in Rochester I would greatly appreciate it.
tia

kollel wife

Post Tue, Jun 02 2015, 9:41 am
I may be wrong, but I understand it to be a yeshiva for troubled boys - am I thinking of the right yeshiva?

Inspire

Post Tue, Jun 02 2015, 2:04 pm
When registering at any unknown high school, take care to get good references. And if the menahel seems overly anxious to let your child in, follow your gut feeling. We had an experience like this, where the school took our registration fee, took in our child with almost no questions asked, then threw him out a week later, and kept the fee!!

amother
Red

Post Tue, Jun 02 2015, 2:30 pm
kollel wife wrote:
I may be wrong, but I understand it to be a yeshiva for troubled boys - am I thinking of the right yeshiva?

My brother was there for a few months. It is a good place for the boys who need it but depends on what type of issues your son has .

Coke Slurpee

Post Sun, Jun 07 2015, 10:09 pm
Bump
anyone have current info?
Anyone know anyone who went there recently?

pobody's nerfect

Post Sun, Jun 07 2015, 11:29 pm
We live in Rochester and host boys for shabbos meals all the time. ask specific questions and you shall receive Smile

Coke Slurpee

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 8:17 pm
Thanx pobodys nerfect. It seems as if we have enough information for now, but if we have any more questions I will let you know.

tryinghard

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 9:02 pm
Only saw this now, but if it becomes relevant, I can also be of help. DH is a rebbi in the yeshiva.

ETA: For others coming across this thread who do not have all the info they need on Rochester's yeshiva Smile
It's not a yeshiva for troubled boys. There's a range of different reasons boys come here, but it's not a catchall for the kids being thrown out of other yeshivas. There is a certain amount of leeway given to the boys that you may not find in other yeshivas, but that has more to do with Chofetz Chaim hashkafa in general, and the belief in this yeshiva in particular in not making a big deal about things that are really (halachically, hashkafically and upstanding citizen-wise) harmless

gold21

Post Tue, Jun 09 2015, 9:26 pm
one persons "troubled boy" is another persons "typical teen boy"....

maybe describe your son and what you're looking for in a yeshiva.

I personally don't know much about the yeshiva but I do know someone who went there (my friends brother) and I wouldn't say he was troubled... more like a typical (not yeshivish but frum) teenager who didn't do well in cookie cutter yeshivas.

amother
Vermilion

Post Fri, Aug 18 2017, 8:36 am
I just saw this. Rochester was recomended for my son. Hes a good boy with adhd. He doesnt have so much interest in learning but can sit with a tutor for an hr no problem. Do you thi g rochestet is a place for him? We didnt want to look into it because its so far away

tryinghard

Post Fri, Aug 18 2017, 11:04 am
What do you mean when you say he doesn't have so much interest in learning? Like what does that look like practically? If you wanna PM me, that's fine.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 5:29 pm
Any more recent info. My son still isn't accepted to a yeshiva. He is far from a troubled teen, just has some difficulty in learning gemarah. Would this be a good fit?

tryinghard

Post Mon, Feb 24 2020, 7:17 pm
Could be, depends on the difficulty I guess. But does sound like the type of situation that could work well.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 11:22 am
Is This, Rochester Yeshiva the right yeshiva that this thread is talking about? Do they have a dorm? My ds desperately needs a yeshiva for next year and he is not a troubled boy, but has a hard time learning and not really interested either, but part of it stems from the difficulty. We are not yeshivish, but he knows how to follow the white shirt dress code as long as they’re not crazy about everything.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 11:46 am
My nephew goes there. Good kid, but has had his "history"--mostly academic at this point, behavior was an issue when he was younger but he's mensching out. He didn't LOVE it but has managed to make it to 12th grade. He has wanted to transfer out on more than one occasion, but R' Palatoff has been very influential. The line my sister used on one instance when he wanted to leave was "Every time I want to leave, and then I speak to R' Palatoff and then I want to stay."

tryinghard

Post Tue, Mar 03 2020, 1:30 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
Is This, Rochester Yeshiva the right yeshiva that this thread is talking about? Do they have a dorm? My ds desperately needs a yeshiva for next year and he is not a troubled boy, but has a hard time learning and not really interested either, but part of it stems from the difficulty. We are not yeshivish, but he knows how to follow the white shirt dress code as long as they’re not crazy about everything.

Yes that is the right one.
He sounds like he could do well here. They aren't overly yeshivish (it's a chofetz chaim, but much more relaxed than in NY). White shirts is only for shabbos.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 7:52 am
tryinghard wrote:
Yes that is the right one.
He sounds like he could do well here. They aren't overly yeshivish (it's a chofetz chaim, but much more relaxed than in NY). White shirts is only for shabbos.

Thank you. I spoke to them and they said he wouldn’t be a good fit, since he’s not motivated in either learning or yiddishkeit. Sad He recommended Cherry Hill, but I don’t know. I really prefer a place with a dorm. He’s not very motivated in learning because he hasn’t been doing well because of the school he’s been in.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Mar 04 2020, 4:58 pm
I believe Cherry Hill has a dorm. My relative is in Cherry Hill and he is very happy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics