Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Diamond summer program in Far Rockaway

amother

Post Mon, Apr 28 2014, 5:41 pm
Anyone send there?
How effective is the program?
Any transportation options to & from Lakewood?
How flexible are they with the cost?

amother

Post Sun, Jun 15 2014, 1:59 am
Bump

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 2:09 pm
Bumping this up, has anyone sent a child here? I'd love to hear from a parent who has done the program.

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 2:29 pm
We are sendi this year from Brooklyn. I haven't heard one bad thing about it, only positive. As far as I know they are not flexible on price. I also don't know about transportation from so far. I doubt it though

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 2:40 pm
amother wrote:
Bumping this up, has anyone sent a child here? I'd love to hear from a parent who has done the program.

We sent there one summer. They are not flexible on the orice, as far as I know. The reason for the astronomical cost is becasue each kids gets their own counselor, so they need a lot of boys, and also the counselors gonthrough a very intensive training to make sure they get the program right.
We sent our son for only a few weeks (they don't typically do that, but he got kicked out of camp 3 weeks before camp was over.) it was amazing. The only real downside is that there is not significant follow through during school, in the classroom.

seeker

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 2:49 pm
I did not send a child there but I know someone who did and had very successful results B"H. Not from Lakewood so no idea about the transport, and I don't think they needed flexibility on the cost either. So sorry no help there but it is said to be a very effective, well-run program. I wish they had one like it for girls and something for during the year too!

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 3:00 pm
Another sending from brooklyn, how old is your son? I would be sending from Brooklyn as well. My son is gifted and adhd, we would be moving to brooklyn for the summer just for him to attend the program, and I'm just curious how parents who send deal with the child feeling that he is in a special program? He is in a regular yeshiva classroom during the year.

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Jun 12 2015, 6:27 pm
amother wrote:
Another sending from brooklyn, how old is your son? I would be sending from Brooklyn as well. My son is gifted and adhd, we would be moving to brooklyn for the summer just for him to attend the program, and I'm just curious how parents who send deal with the child feeling that he is in a special program? He is in a regular yeshiva classroom during the year.

oh wow! My son is like that too. Gifted and adhd. He is young though, going to be six in a few months. He is also in a regular class. I tell people he is going to Simcha day camp (the regular darchei camp) because it's a great camp and very structured, which they don't have so much in Brooklyn.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 10:15 am
I know this is an old thread but has anyone sent here in past few years?
This sounds like it could be great for my son but we'd have to move to NY or NJ for the summer to make it work. I'd be Smile to do it if it's worth it...
Any experiences you can share would be much appreciated!!!

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Mar 24 2019, 10:17 am
My friend sent and I went with her for the evening parent classes. It was an absolute amazing program. Someone I know from Lakewood spent the summer in Brooklyn so they'd be able to join and have transportation.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 9:22 am
Bump

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 9:48 am
I sent there for three years. Last year was the first year I didn’t. It’s fantastic. There is only transportation from Brooklyn, far rockaway and other five towns. Not flexible on pricing. But it’s a commitment. You need to go to all the meetings and follow through with the program at home for it to work

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 9:51 am
Aubergine- did you find it helpful past the summer?
I'm ready to be fully committed but my husband will only be able to join us for Shabbos, as I'd be moving with my kids to Brooklyn (for the summer) for this camp for one child. Do you think that will be an issue?

momma987

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 6:51 pm
I heard they are opening a branch in NJ!! I think it will be in teaneck so they can get kids from monsey and Jersey areas

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Mar 27 2019, 7:56 pm
amother wrote:
Aubergine- did you find it helpful past the summer?
I'm ready to be fully committed but my husband will only be able to join us for Shabbos, as I'd be moving with my kids to Brooklyn (for the summer) for this camp for one child. Do you think that will be an issue?

I did think so when I stayed with the program during the year as well, which is very hard. But even though I don’t use so many of systems any more, I still use quite a few of the tips. And I feel like he learned a lot from it as wel. I am very happy we sent there

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 7:56 pm
I think this program would be great for my 11yo DS, but I'm worried that he may be too high-functioning for it. In our home, he's a nightmare, who verbally abuses me and his younger siblings, and occasionally can get physical as well.

But in his respected mainstream yeshiva, he's considered totally normal. The things we here about him at PTA are wonderful, but don't sound like they're talking about my DS.

I'd love to send him to this program, but is it intended for boys like him? And might he be exposed to boys with even more problems who will teach him some new tricks?

Also, I thought it was an 8-week commitment, but their web page makes it seem like you can only send for the first 4 weeks or second 4 weeks; is that correct? And does anybody know a ballpark figure of cost for either 4 or 8 weeks?

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 8:14 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
I think this program would be great for my 11yo DS, but I'm worried that he may be too high-functioning for it. In our home, he's a nightmare, who verbally abuses me and his younger siblings, and occasionally can get physical as well.

But in his respected mainstream yeshiva, he's considered totally normal. The things we here about him at PTA are wonderful, but don't sound like they're talking about my DS.

I'd love to send him to this program, but is it intended for boys like him? And might he be exposed to boys with even more problems who will teach him some new tricks?

Also, I thought it was an 8-week commitment, but their web page makes it seem like you can only send for the first 4 weeks or second 4 weeks; is that correct? And does anybody know a ballpark figure of cost for either 4 or 8 weeks?

They are very skilled psychologists and you speak to them before about what your concerns are. I don't think they pick up behaviors from others, because they are pretty strict and don't allow any misbehavior.

They recommend 8 weeks because you really need that long to learn the whole program for the kid and the parents. However, it is possible to go just for one half. Most people that do that is for financial reasons or because they travelled in specifically for the program and it's too hard for more than one half. A few years ago it was already close to $6000 a summer and it was going up every summer, so I would imagine it's that or more. Hatzlacha!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children