Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Suggested reading for teen girl?

juggling

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 9:10 am
Looking for good reads for a teenage girl (13). I don't want to stick to only Jewish novels, but she'd like something contemporary and everything I find seems to have racy parts which I don't feel are appropriate. Suggestions? Thanks!

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 9:14 am
Welcome!
What were the last few books she read that she liked? Any specific genres she likes?
Have you seen similar threads on Imamother and checked out the secular book list on chinuch.org?

spring13

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 9:17 am
How racy is too racy? Is it ok if a kiss is mentioned (not described)? Does she like fantasy, historical fiction, whatever?

Notsobusy

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 9:23 am
My girls around that age enjoyed Cupcake Diaries series, a little bit boy/girl, but nothing racy.
Beacon St Girls series a little more boy/girl but also not racy.
Main St series is a little young for 13, but she should still enjoy it.
Babysitters Club is good.
Gordon Korman has some good books for that age, but some might be a little innapropriate. He has a few series that are definitely fine, Titanic, not contemporary but very good, Island, Swindle, On the Run, Kidnapped, Everest, those were all great.
There's 39 Clues, it's a series written by a few different authors, my kids really enjoyed it.

If I think of anything else I will post it.

gp2.0

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 9:43 am
If she likes fantasy and fairy tales and science fiction, and if you're ok with tame boy-girl relationships that are not too specific, then I have lots of suggestions.

spring13

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 10:15 am
If she's heading into YA...

Fantasy: Tamora Pierce's Circle of Magic series, Juliet Marillier's Shadowfell series (occasional mention of a kiss), Gail Carson Levine - Ella Enchanted, Ever, Fairest, etc., Angie Sage's Septimus Heap series, Cornelia Funke's Inkheart series, Barry Deutsch's Hereville graphic novels (Jewish mc, really good!), Shannon Hale's Princess Academy series,Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult (mentions kissing).

Historical fiction - Ann Rinaldi (lots of books, occasional mention of a kiss), The Cure by Sonia Levitin, Joan Lowery Nixon's Ellis Island trilogy and Orphan Train Quartet, most of Donna Jo Napoli's stuff (some fantasy, some hist fic), Letters from Rifka, Julia Golding Cat Royal series, Esperanza Rising, Karen Cushman's books,

Other: Thanhha Lai's books, Wonder, The War that Saved My Life, Raina Telgemeier's graphic novels.

Google "clean YA fiction", you'll find websites and blogs with reviews that include the relevant info (s*xual content, profanity, violence, etc.). For example, http://www.readingteen.net/201......html

juggling

Post Mon, Jun 15 2015, 12:00 pm
Thanks for all the ideas. I hadn't known about chinuch.org. I downloaded that list. Between that and what you've all mentioned, hopefully that will keep her busy for a while. Thank you!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics