Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections
Recommend a relaxing, fun craft to take up!

smss

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 11:39 am
I am not crafty at all but I'm looking for an idea of some super easy craft that requires very little skill and is just a repetitive kind of thing for relaxation. I used to enjoy knitting. Any other ideas?

Mama'le

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 11:55 am
Making jewelry with beads....

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 12:11 pm
I loved my stamp collection as a kid. Not a craft though

Last edited by amother on Wed, Aug 10 2016, 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

mommyla

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 12:14 pm
Hook rugs

smss

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 12:17 pm
mommyla wrote:
Hook rugs

Is that easy to learn how to do?

Making jewelry sounds like fun but I want something that requires, like, NO brain cells, IYKWIM ;-)

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 12:18 pm
Needle point

Scrabble123

Needlepoint. There are definitely simple, repetitive stitches, but as you become more accustomed to them, you will be able to add more advance stitches with different textured threads and create your own.

Last edited by Scrabble123 on Mon, Jun 22 2015, 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Stars

smss wrote:
Is that easy to learn how to do?

Making jewelry sounds like fun but I want something that requires, like, NO brain cells, IYKWIM ;-)

Very easy. I used to do them when I was ten. It's fun.

Simple1

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 12:20 pm
Crochet? Or is that too similar to knitting? In some ways it's different than knitting.

If you have a craft store, such as Michael's or AC Moore, you can check them for ideas and inspiration.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 12:30 pm
Another vote for needlepoint. To me, hook rug is for children because that's when I did it. Needlepoint doesn't take brains and nothing to learn.

PassionFruit

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 12:39 pm
baby scrapbooking

Amarante

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 12:54 pm
As many have said, needlepoint is the perfect mindless activity. I bought the painted canvases so you just have to follow the numbers. It's really the same stitch and once you do a simple one so that you learn how best to make the patterns, it's really easy. I took it up when I wanted to lose weight as it was something for my fingers to do besides pop cookies in. :-). It's also portable so you can take it with you wherever you.

You can start off with an easy relatively inexpensive kit but if you check on-line, there are some magnificent stuff you can start to do when you feel that you are committed.

My mother did crewel needlework which requires more thought because there are different stitches to learn.

My Bubbe embroidered tablecloths for all her granddaughters. They were of a type of pattern which used a sateen stitch to outline and then some of the pattern was partially cut out.

smss

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 1:01 pm
Amarante wrote:
As many have said, needlepoint is the perfect mindless activity. I bought the painted canvases so you just have to follow the numbers. It's really the same stitch and once you do a simple one so that you learn how best to make the patterns, it's really easy. I took it up when I wanted to lose weight as it was something for my fingers to do besides pop cookies in. :-).

That was my thought as well ;-)

Great, going to go to Michael's soon and look for needlepoints! Thanks everyone!

lucky14

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 1:06 pm
If you want to make some cute stuff for kids look for the book Crafty Creatures by Jane Bull in your library or bookstore. There are some really easy beginner crafts (like felt finger puppets) in there. Super cute.
edit: sorry, they aren't finger puppets, but little mini animals. but still cute! and other projects as well.

Last edited by lucky14 on Mon, Jun 22 2015, 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

wife2

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 1:06 pm
this is not so repetitive or mindless but you can do an adult paint by number if you like painting. it will take a long time though

Amarante

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 1:07 pm
smss wrote:
That was my thought as well ;-)

Great, going to go to Michael's soon and look for needlepoints! Thanks everyone!

It's good to get a relatively cheap kit to start to see if you like it. However, once you decide this is something you want to do, there are really beautiful canvases you can buy. Those aren't cheap because they are hand painted and the wool is a good quality but at the end, you have something really lovely.

I don't know if you want to stick to strictly Judaica, but here's a few.

http://www.judaicaneedlepoint.com/

http://www.artneedlepoint.com/judaic

rdaf

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 2:26 pm
I like to patch quilt. Using a sewing machine is easier than by hand. The craft stores sell patches already cut to size.

ilovesem

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 2:35 pm
I came on to say hook rugs and noticed someone already mentioned it. So simple and looks so nice once it's done. I was thinking about starting another one recently.

smilingmom

Post Mon, Jun 22 2015, 4:50 pm
I love crocheting. I learned off you tube several years ago and mostly make blankets and scarves that are easy to make and don't require following an intricate pattern.

morningsickness

Post Tue, Jun 23 2015, 1:05 pm
Picture frames made out of old cereal boxes or construction paper. Decorate with napkins coated with a thin layer of white glue, add some buttons or beads etc. and you've got yourself a cute picture frame!

I love using napkins in my arts and crafts project. Cut out the designs you want, coat with a thin layer of white glue and let dry. This works well on wood, too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics