Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Repeating words

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 10:56 am
My DD, almost 3 years old, has started to repeat the first word of a sentence. For example: We, we, we, we, we.....go to the rides? Why is she doing this? is it normal?

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 6:01 pm
Bump?

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 6:03 pm
Normal developmentally
The brain goes through a developmental time period where the language is more advanced than the output mechanisms.
what is not normal is saying wwwwww we...

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 6:05 pm
Watch out for it. It could be an exciteability thing that will phase out. Or it could be something more serious and lead to stuttering.

jj123

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 6:42 pm
Hi I've helped out in a nursery classroom for a while and I've noticed this with a good amount of the kids so I wouldn't worry about it but for all I know, they could be getting speech therapy.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 6:57 pm
Thanks, my DH also said she can't say it as fast as she is thinking it, so she repeats the first word,
Is that a guess that it can lead to stuttering or something I need to be concerned about ?

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 7:14 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks, my DH also said she can't say it as fast as she is thinking it, so she repeats the first word,
Is that a guess that it can lead to stuttering or something I need to be concerned about ?

I responded as an SLP and my clinical opinion is that you do not need to be concerned about it. Should you see any secondary charactrtistics or part word repetitions (ba ba ba baby) or prolongationd (wwwwwe) then its a red flag. Whole word repetitions at age 2 os normal.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jun 29 2015, 8:14 pm
Make sure that she knows she has your full attention, and that you will be patient with her getting her words out. She may be rushing, because she's afraid of getting cut off mid-thought. You can gently encourage her to slow down a bit and hold still while you're talking to her.

DH does that when he's in a hurry or feeling stressed, and otherwise he speaks perfectly.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Jun 30 2015, 4:40 am
Thank you for calming a nervous mom down! One more question... When should this be stopping or decreasing?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics