Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Anger management group in bklyn? books? help needed

amother

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 10:26 pm
Does anyone know of an anger management group in Brooklyn? How about a teleconference group on anger management, anyone?
The reason I post it here in the Parenting forum is cuz that's basically where the anger is an issue (as opposed to road rage, etc.)
I need to get a handle on my rage in parenting my kids. My therapist understandably advocates for the kids and therefore has been unable to align herself with me on this issue.
If you know of any good books, please share.
Have you struggled with anger/rage in parenting? Have you managed to keep it under control? What has helped you?
Please, no finger-wagging.
Thanks a lot!

hisorerus

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 10:55 pm
Sarah Shapiro's book, "Growing With My Children" addresses her learning to control her anger. "Anger, the Inner Teacher" - by Pliskin (?) also has some very very helpful tips.

Hatzlacha rabah! Very beautiful that you're taking the responsibility and dealing with it.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 11:06 pm
I have read Zelig Pliskin's book on anger, I have it on my bookshelf, it hasn't been helpful to me.
Still, thanks for your suggestion, and thanks for your support.

happymom

Post Fri, Jul 07 2006, 6:56 am
POSITIVE PARENTING by twersky. I highly recommend it!

amother

Post Fri, Jul 07 2006, 7:03 am
another mother here: op, you sound exactly like me. I have a hard time with anger when it comes to my kids. There are times when I manage to not be angry for weeks but then, if I lose control even once, it's hard to stop. You get angry at the kids but then you get even more angry at yourself for yelling and then you yell something like: why do you make me yell like this? which is even worse for the poor kids. If you find help, please let me know.

happymom

Post Fri, Jul 07 2006, 7:21 am
its so importnat when amother yells at a child, or reacts out of anger, to APOLOGIZE to the child. it will make a child feel better to hear something like "I am so sorry I yelled at you. You should have listened to mommy, But I should have spoken to u in a nice way. im sorry and I want u to know I love u no matter what" If u get angry and are working on it thats great... but if u dont apologize to uer kids and say things like "why are U making me scream.... they will feel horrible about themselves and think that they are bad. if u do fall back into the patter and say that its a good thing to make sure to themm them later that it ISNT thier fault and ure sorry....

I believe many people act certain ways because of experiences from thier childhood. the way we do things CAN be changes though and we have the power. bad childhoos good life is an amazing book that helps a person overcome his shortcomings due to thier childhood...

Motek

Post Sun, Jul 09 2006, 1:19 pm
amother wrote:
I have read Zelig Pliskin's book on anger, I have it on my bookshelf, it hasn't been helpful to me.

What doesn't it have that you are looking for?

amother

Post Tue, Nov 07 2006, 9:01 pm
Re: anger management call:
Refer to post in 'emotional health' forum, re: anger management teleconference call.

Motek

Post Thu, May 03 2007, 12:47 pm
amother wrote:
My therapist understandably advocates for the kids and therefore has been unable to align herself with me on this issue.

Unable to align herself? What does that mean? Confused She's your therapist. Why is she unable to help you reduce and eliminate angry feelings?

response to my question in my previous post?

greenfire

Post Thu, May 03 2007, 1:10 pm
Watch Jane Hit ... about young angry girls ... title is a spin off from an old-fashioned school reader ... watch jane run ... etc ... they compare the olden days to now and consider the reasons girls are more aggressive in the nowadays ...

Mama Shifra

Post Sun, May 06 2007, 11:08 am
This is not a "frum" book, but I highly, highly recommend Liberated Parents, Liberated Children and its companion book How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk. I once heard a lecture by Rabbi Avraham Twersky, and he also recommended those books. Liberated Parents, Liberated Children in particular had a whole chapter on anger.

Good luck!
Shifra
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics