Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Toy recommendations for long car ride.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 11:17 pm
We are planning a long car ride, and I need ideas of new toys for my almost 2 year old. Also for a 7 month old baby. Noisy toys are fine, but also some quiet ones. Any ideas and/or links would be appreciated!

TIA!

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 11:26 pm
Me too. Same ages, just im flying to Israel shock

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 11:29 pm
Mini magnadoodles are great.

seeker

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 12:14 am
This is a tricky one because anything with hard edges and any weight can potentially become dangerous if you have an impact, C"V. It can ram into the child. These things have happened and you can't be too careful. Even if you usually avoid videos this might be a good time to consider one of those dvd thingies you strap to the back of the front seat. 7 month old can play with plush things and hopefully sleep a lot...

kb

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 6:17 am
We have a driving that was very popular at that age

Something like this:

http://m.toysrus.com/skava/sta.....earch

Last edited by kb on Mon, Jul 20 2015, 8:29 am; edited 1 time in total

little_mage

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 6:22 am
One thing that we really liked is a Melissa and Doug car maze. None of the pieces come out, so it's great because you can't lose all of the pieces, the way you might with a puzzle.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 8:17 am
We got mangadoodles for our flight back to Israel. It was a huge success. Rearrange your seats so one parent is within reach of most of the kids while they're awake. Even my 6 month old liked to scribble.
Bop-it is good.

animeme

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 8:31 am
Agree with lymnok. You are their best toy. Whoever isn't driving sits between them. You can read books, keep the toddler from throwing anything at the baby, give them toys.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 9:56 am
animeme wrote:
Agree with lymnok. You are their best toy. Whoever isn't driving sits between them. You can read books, keep the toddler from throwing anything at the baby, give them toys.

OP here: Great idea in theory, but there isn't space in our car for me to sit between them.

Any other ideas? Links would be really appreciated!

lizard8

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 10:08 am
Would you do a dvd for the older one? With this age, my children didn't play with toys too long. I brought cars for the boys, doll for the girls, and a bunch of books. The crayons and coloring books were a disaster because they kept falling down and we couldn't get them. Even the toys mentioned kept falling, but at lest they were bigger and easier to reach for. IMO its easier for the front passenger to reach behind the drivers seat, so put the toddler there.
For the younger one, get some toys that attach to the car seat. When you stop, you can switch it.

kb

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 10:10 am
Another idea I did:

I bought small baking sheets, and a bunch of magnets. You can also put magnets on cars, animals, etc. (I originally got the idea from Binah magazine, they cut animals in half and put magnets on each half) I just got letters and shapes. Kept my kids happy for a while, but they are a bit older

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 10:12 am
I attached a bungee cord to the baby seat to hang toys from.

kb

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 10:20 am
Other project ideas we did:

Removable stickers
Pipe cleaners and cheerios
Scratch art

If you're feeling adventurous, they make window markers. I didn't do that because I didn't see how I could explain to everyone why it's okay to color on windows now but never again.

busy mommy

Post Mon, Jul 20 2015, 10:47 am
magnadoodles:
gears: http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ.....1_s01http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ.....1_s01ESC6IO?
Wooden maze with cars that are not removable: http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ.....1_s01
trays to attach to car seats:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ.....1_s01
bubbles
stickers
read along book and cd's: tonz on amazon or Yael books in the frum stores
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics