Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
6 foods

elisecohen

Post Mon, Apr 18 2005, 2:55 pm
OK for now I'm allowed to eat 6 Pesachdike foods: turkey, lamb, yellow & green summer squash, pears, potatoes, and sweet potatoes. No seasonings allowed except sugar and/or salt. Oil is ok. Any ideas beyond the obvious? I'm getting REALLY bored...

sarahd

Post Mon, Apr 18 2005, 3:13 pm
elisecohen wrote:
Any ideas beyond the obvious?

Hibernate for the duration of Pesach. Very Happy

Seriously, you have a tough proposition there.

How about sweet potato-squash soup? Cook summer squash and sweet potatoes along with regular potatoes and puree them. My mother makes this (with the addition of carrots) and it's really good.

Tefila

Post Mon, Apr 18 2005, 3:14 pm
You bound to lose weight on that diet. Hm maybe I should go on it too Smile

princessmommy

Post Mon, Apr 18 2005, 5:48 pm
compot and zuccini kugel

supermom

Post Wed, Apr 20 2005, 7:25 am
why so little food? just curious you don't have to answer if you don't want to. is matzah allowed? Wink

elisecohen

Post Wed, Apr 20 2005, 7:37 am
No matzah except that I'll be using oat matzah for seders. Baby nursling has a GI disease (like his big brother) and cannot tolerate most protein molecules in the GI tract without the tissue breaking down. Until he weans to an amino acid formula I can only eat foods which minimally impact the breast milk (and even then there's some problem because the bm itself has protein molecules). There's intrinsic benefit for a kid with an autoimmune disease to nurse as long as possible though, so we're not trying to wean to the formula for now any more than just to get him to take an occasional bottle of it. Since I started the diet he's much better boruch Hash-m.

He reacts badly and immediately to wheat, but much less so to oats so that's why I'll do the minimal amount of oat matzah for the mitzvah and that'll be it. We've had a lot of complicated shailohs the last few months believe me, since we started with what to do about kiddush & motzi on Shabbos and worked our way towards Pesach. Overall, it hasn't been too problematic because apparently while I'm nursing I'm treated like a choleh since the baby is.

It's nothing to the shailohs we always have about big brother's feeding pump on these 3-day Shabbos/Yontiff periods and making his formula up and so on! At least we know which Rebbeim to talk to who know what we're talking about and what to reference.

hadasa

Post Wed, Apr 20 2005, 9:18 am
Sounds really tough. Looks like Hashem has given you quite a heavy bundle to carry. I hope He gives you a lot, a lot of strength to be able to carry it. Looking at your list, the only thing I can think of is stew with turkey and vegetables, and pear compote. And the standard mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, French fries...

supermom

Post Wed, Apr 20 2005, 10:34 am
whoa matzah too? oy vey I look foward to matzah every year and not to eat it is a killer!!!

queenie

Post Tue, May 03 2005, 12:56 am
I know pesach is now over but what about spelt? That is usually very high in fiber and easier to digest. I know you could have in most places get spelt mata too.

Also, a lot of bakeries make spelt cookies and other products. How about sweet potato french fries?

supermom

Post Tue, May 03 2005, 1:42 pm
so what happened at the end what did you end up doing keep us posted please!!

elisecohen

Post Tue, May 03 2005, 4:50 pm
Now that Pesach is over I'm back to my whole roster of 8 foods (whoo, hoo!): rice, millet, turkey, lamb, potatoes, sweet potatoes, summer yellow & green squash and pears. With yomtov out of the way so we don't have to worry so much if the baby gets suddenly sick and needs to be taken to the ER, I can now add foods one at a time every 3 weeks back to my diet for trial. I'm starting with milk, just because that would be so nice if it works though it's unlikely.

I never did get very creative with my foods over Pesach--basically just baked a lot of sweet potatoes and potatoes. I did make a sort of tzimmes a couple of times with little bits of lamb, sweet potatoes, pears, and potatoes all cooked up together in little bits. At least it was a change!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics