Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Kosher painting for home?

Seraph

Post Fri, May 04 2007, 2:32 am
Do you and your husband show affection to each other in public? Would you hang photos of you and your husband touching?
I don't touch publically and wouldn't hang a photo of the two of us being affectionate- slightly touching I don't think I'd have such an issue with. (Suchas a photographer placing my hand on my husband on my husband's shoulder to take a picture.)
That being said...

Would you have any issue with hanging a painting in your house that showed a man and woman in an affectionate position? As in, standing over a balcony with his arm around her.
I bought this painting, I think its quite romantic, but not inappropriate. Its currently in my living room. Would you have an issue with such a picture being on display in your house? Do you think its proper to have in a frum home?

chen

Post Fri, May 04 2007, 8:25 am
I'm very uncomfortable with PDA's (the physical and the electronic Very Happy ). even chosson-kalloh pix where they're just gazing soulfully into each other's eyes feel like like an invasion of privacy to me--so I wouldn't buy such a painting myself. Although I think it's rather unusual in a frum home, I don't see anything wrong with it if you like it. Then again, if you have teens or teens-plus, it could arouse feelings that would be better left unaroused...

GramaNewYork

Post Fri, May 04 2007, 9:05 am
I think it's a very nice painting and if your husband is ok with it, so am I! As far as it arousing feelings in the teens...I love those homes where people raise their children with high self-esteem such that the teens are NOT affected by every little thing that seeps into the protection of the shelter we try to create for our families.

If this subtle show of affection and sharing a moment in time is a problem for your teens, I think you have alot bigger problems than this painting on the wall Wink .

Ruchel

Post Fri, May 04 2007, 12:07 pm
Beautiful. I would totally hang it.
But we're also the kind who don't mind romantic chosson and kalla pics. We have mine, my parents' and my grandparents' in the living room (with G-d's help dd's will be there in 20ish years LOL). So I certainly don't see any problem with this picture.

hila

Post Sun, May 06 2007, 2:13 am
I like it.
Enjoy it , there is nothing wrong with it.

Shavua tov

brooklyn

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 7:48 am
I don't see anything wrong with it either.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 7:57 am
wow, that is a beautiful painting. who painted it? someone in israe? my husband loves art andi looove jewish art and that is a beautiful painting that to me has a jewish overtone, no?

I would definitely hang such a painting in my house, right in the room that ppl com into the house to. its beautiful:)

farmom

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 6:14 pm
Since you've only been getting one type of response, I wanted to even things out a bit Wink

I love the painting, and the colors are absolutely gorgeous, but I would not hang it up in my home. I also don't touch in public at all, so I am sensitive to the little things. It feels strange to me when I see a husband tap his wife on the shoulder.

I think I feel a bit like chen said: the picture looks so private, like they are sharing a special moment, I feel like I am intruding by looking at it.

Raisin

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 6:24 pm
I also think it is a beautiful painting. I would hang it in my bedroom, but I would be uncomfortable with out in public.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 6:50 pm
farmom wrote:

I think I feel a bit like chen said: the picture looks so private, like they are sharing a special moment, I feel like I am intruding by looking at it.

How do you feel like you're intruding on a painting? It's not like it's two real people and you're looking in at an intimate moment. It's an inanimate object, you're not disturbing anything.

farmom

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 8:10 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
farmom wrote:

How do you feel like you're intruding on a painting? It's not like it's two real people and you're looking in at an intimate moment. It's an inanimate object, you're not disturbing anything.
you're right Defy, I'm not intruding on anyone by looking at a painting. Still, I feel like I am. (does that make any sense? Confused )

And, I feel like it is just that slightly bit inappropriate. If someone doesn't touch her husband at all in public (I know Breslov said this isn't her case, hypothetical situation here, more like my situation) it would be a bit odd to have a painting of someone doing so.

chen

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 10:38 pm
farmom wrote:
the picture looks so private, like they are sharing a special moment, I feel like I am intruding by looking at it.

Clearly some people are more sensitive to personal privacy or emotional nuances than others. on the one hand you have teenagers intertwined at the bus stop, neither noticing nor caring who is watching, and on the other you have people who won't even look at their spouse when they talk to them if there is a third person in the room. (Yes, I have seen this--and found this studied avoidance more embarrassing than if he had looked her in the face. OTOH, who knows--maybe he would have been looking with such heat that the situation would have been even more uncomfortable than it already was. )

Seraph

Post Mon, May 07 2007, 11:23 pm
Btw, I wanted to point out at first that my husband at first thought it was a moshe type figure in a robe and holding a staff... and not two people...

I appreciate your opionions- I didn't want everyone to tell me the same thing- I had a feeling that some people might find the picture a little... I dunno, but was wondering if that was just my imagination or not.

Shabbat is coming- the artist is a guy from tzfat named yaakov cohen who is in the process of becoming frum- right now he's all into breslov hashkafically... but has yet to fully apply it and become a frum jew 100%. We figured that by buying his painting we'd be encouraging him...

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, May 08 2007, 8:38 am
breslov wrote:
Shabbat is coming- the artist is a guy from tzfat named yaakov cohen who is in the process of becoming frum- right now he's all into breslov hashkafically... but has yet to fully apply it and become a frum jew 100%. We figured that by buying his painting we'd be encouraging him...

thanks breslov, I had a feeling that it was someone from tzfat...its great:)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics