Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Was I Wrong?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 7:49 pm
I came out of my house today to find someone's car literally touching the back of my car. I don't know if it damaged my car or not (it was dark outside when we took the car out of that spot) but it really bothered me that they would park like that. I think it's pretty rude, and maybe even illegal. I think it shows a lack of caring about other people's property and it isn't nice of someone to park their car with their license plate stuck in my back bumper with no space left in between the 2 vehicles what-so-ever. I don't even want to know what they did to my car during the parking process, they probably moved the whole car, but whatever.

Anyway, I knew whose car it was, so I wrote them a nice message saying that their car was parked touching my car and I'd appreciate if they wouldn't do it in the future.
My husband told me after that I shouldn't have written them a message, even though he agreed what they did was wrong and rude, he said he thinks that they are going to think that I am rude for writing them a message about it.

What do you think? Was I justified or am I crazy?

p.s. they wrote back that their husband was pretty sure that he left space between the cars. I am 100% sure that it was touching.

causemommysaid

Post Wed, Sep 02 2015, 7:51 pm
You are fine. It wasn't rude as long as you said it nicely

ruchelbuckle

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 1:32 pm
I tend to agree with your husband. I think its possible that you came off as petty, and maybe you created bad feelings between this person and yourself? I am not saying that people should go around parking that way, but this sounds like a situation that is probably not so k'dai to get worked up over.

I don't know if it is really a "lack of caring about other people's property." It's likely that the person was in a rush, or is a lousy parallel parker, maybe the space was very tight. Of course, he should have been more careful, but maybe cut him a little slack? When you live in congested areas, things like that happen.

I would save your energy for more difficult annoyances, like cars honking early in the morning, neighbors disturbing at late hours, people who don't shovel/clear ice in the winter, etc...

OOTforlife

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 1:42 pm
Is there a reason you didn't say something face-to-face? I would find a written note from someone I know and see in person to be sort of passive-aggressive.

zaq

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 2:31 pm
Regardless of how much space there was behind the neighbor's car when you saw it, you have no idea what the situation was when your neighbor parked. The car may have been squeezed up against both the car behind and yours in front and the neighbor parked "by ear" as we call it. Goodness knows when you live in a congested area, you park where you can, even if you have to suck in your gut and your cheeks to squeeze in.

Unless your neighbor is doing this all the time, let it go. Some day you might find yourself in the exact same situation. Be honest--would you park a quarter of a mile away just to avoid nosing up against another car in a tight space?

ruchelbuckle

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 6:52 pm
OOTforlife wrote:
Is there a reason you didn't say something face-to-face? I would find a written note from someone I know and see in person to be sort of passive-aggressive.

yes, this too. you never know how something is going to come across in a note/email. Vs. saying a comment with a smile:

"Hi Bob. Can you do me a favor? If possible, can you not park so close to my car? It makes it hard to put my stuff in the trunk in the morning when I need to leave. By the way, the landscaping on your front lawn looks really nice. Do you have a new guy doing your gardening? Looks great. See you later"

animeme

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 8:11 pm
Right or wrong, I think you have seen that it's useless. People know that ideally they shouldn't do it. If they touch the car on one side, and someone else does the other, than the car can't leave. But notes like this don't tend to change behavior.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette