Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
Heavy Duty Timer?

myself

Post Sat, Sep 26 2015, 6:19 pm
I've used a regular timer many times but on a thread here someone recently mentioned that a heavy duty timer was necessary. I never knew such a thing existed. All the people I know that use timers use regular ones, but now that I've looked it up I see that a heavy duty timer is necessary for such heavy loads, especially when connected to multiple plugs.

When a regular timer is over-loaded, does it just fail or is it actually dangerous?
No one seems to sell heavy duty timers locally and it's too late to order online in time for Yom Tov. Not quite sure what to do. Our timer is generally plugged into a wall socket with the extension wire plugged into it, the extension wire housing contains four sockets and all are generally used for Succos.

Optione

Post Sat, Sep 26 2015, 8:33 pm
Can you try Lowe's, Home Depot, or an equivalent?

MagentaYenta

Post Sat, Sep 26 2015, 11:04 pm
Please read the owners manuals on all appliances you are using to see if they can be used with an extension cord of any kind. Anytime you use a multi outlet extension cord check to see that the draws on all the appliances plugged into it are not greater than the rating of the extension cord.

zaq

Post Sun, Sep 27 2015, 12:05 am
Overloading any electrical apparatus is dangerous. As the appliance tries to pull more power than the apparatus is designed to carry, wires overheat. Overheated wires eventually melt insulation, heat up nearby materials and cause fires. Don't ask how many houses burn to a crisp every year because of flimsy extension cords or the use of multiple taps (adapters) to piggyback several appliances onto a single circuit.

In general, appliances that use a lot of power, especially those that are used to heat things, must be plugged directly into the wall outlet and not extension cords, even heavy-duty ones.

zaq

Post Sun, Sep 27 2015, 12:46 am
myself wrote:
Our timer is generally plugged into a wall socket with the extension wire plugged into it, the extension wire housing contains four sockets and all are generally used for Succos.

OMG, no!!! A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. Even if you use an industrial-strength extension cord and timer, the circuit may not be designed to carry that much current. Probably isn't if what you're plugging in is, say, a crock pot, an urn, and two hot plates, all of which pull a lot of power. They each need their own outlet, and you still have to make sure that the outlets are not all on the same circuit. You need to know the amperage of the circuit, the extension cord, the timer, and each of the appliances. The circuit, timer and extension cord must each have an amperage rating higher than the total amperage of the appliances you are plugging in. If not, you are playing Russian roulette with fire, to mix a couple of metaphors.

In any event, virtually all appliances that are used for heating and cooking (also for cooling, like fridges, freezers and a/c) are specifically labeled that they must be plugged directly into a an outlet and not into a relocatable tap or extension cord.

myself

Post Sun, Sep 27 2015, 5:14 am
Okay, okay, before everyone panics, yes, I did check the output of the extension cord before I started using it. It's the timer I'm concerned about.

Another point, there are no cooking appliances plugged in here, it's just two fluorescent light plugs, and a fan heater.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics