Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Rules for a Gameboy?

shopaholic

Post Tue, May 08 2007, 11:29 am
DS is turning 7 in a few weeks & deperately wants a gameboy. I want to set limits on it so that he doesn't sit with it all the time when he gets home from school/camp. Anyone do the same & have good rules? I was thinking only from 6-7 (the last hour or so before he goes to bed) - is that too harsh?

gryp

Post Tue, May 08 2007, 11:33 am
too harsh? I would do every other day or twice a week. and I think I would cut it down to half an hour at a time. Obviously it can't go to school unless he has a really long bus ride there and back or something like that.

justanothermother

Post Tue, May 08 2007, 11:41 am

Last edited by justanothermother on Sun, Mar 02 2008, 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ruchel

Post Tue, May 08 2007, 3:01 pm
After homework, only if the kid still reads for pleasure and not only for school, and not just before bed (it makes them all excited).

Boys"R"Us

Post Wed, May 09 2007, 12:09 am
Our general rule is only on Sundays - and not ALL day!!

There are a few variations, like if someone is home sick - with a fever.
Or a family road trip (once a year) etc.

You definitely need to have rules with those things, or they get totally out of hand... from personal experience!

Seraph

Post Wed, May 09 2007, 3:27 am
My parents never let us play with gameboys or play games on the computer that were non educational. I don't think I'll let my kids either.

shopaholic

Post Wed, May 09 2007, 9:46 am
My parents never let us have them either but he really really wants one & I don't mind as long as I set limits. Thanks for all your ideas. I just wanted to see what other mothers do & what's considered reasonable.

greenfire

Post Wed, May 09 2007, 9:59 am
just to be sure I didn't read any of the above ... my rule is play till your thumbs have blisters and you can't take it anymore Cheers Twisted Evil 8)

chocolate moose

Post Wed, May 09 2007, 12:18 pm
what are your limits with videos and computers for the kids? this would be similar.

rachel

Post Wed, May 09 2007, 6:08 pm
I only allow my kids to play in the country. Otherwise it's hidden.

shopaholic

Post Thu, May 10 2007, 9:15 am
Our computer is so old & doesn't work properly so the kids don't use it. As for videos, only after homework is done. Most days they don't watch, especially now that the weather is so great.Anyway, DH convinced DS that a gameboy is bad for his eyes, so they settled on a foosball table. Besides, DH & I will play with it too when the kids are in bed!

gryp

Post Thu, May 10 2007, 10:01 am
Wow, Momof3, much better idea! I'm impressed with your son's ability to compromise.

Motek

Post Thu, May 10 2007, 2:35 pm
Rule?

no gameboy

Smile

chocolate moose

Post Thu, May 10 2007, 2:41 pm
Motek, do you have any kids or grandchildren?

Bsimcha

Post Thu, May 10 2007, 3:16 pm
I don't allow a gameboy. My kids begged and begged and I told them it's not something I want in the house. They accepted it bec. I was very firm. We don't have a video or dvd player but we do have a computer with rules.
No computer until after homework, supper and any other things they have to take care of. In the nice weather they have to play outside in order to get any computer time. I limit the time depending on the kid and the situation.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children