Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Notable Clips & Links
Reading "Alice" in Saudi Arabia

sequoia

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 9:59 pm
Interesting essay.

http://narrative.ly/super-subc.....land/

bluebird

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 11:10 am
I read Alice in Wonderland when I was a kid. It's fascinating that a book I never thought too deeply about is so profound in a different society. I'm glad you shared this.

youngishbear

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 3:40 pm
bluebird wrote:
I read Alice in Wonderland when I was a kid. It's fascinating that a book I never thought too deeply about is so profound in a different society. I'm glad you shared this.

I think she chose Alice in Wonderland as an example to make just this point, that those with little access treat with reverance that which we take for granted.

I love the way this essay gives us a glimpse of a world of spunk and spirit, lurking underneath the life that appears to outsiders so colorless - at least for the women in it.

I believe this is how change happens. Individuals taking charge of their own destiny, using their talents and interests in good ways.

On a side note, was the author referencing American politics when she wrote about the irony of Saudi girls wanting to join the Tea Party?

sequoia

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 3:43 pm
I think actually she was referencing the most well-known chapter in "Alice in Wonderland" -- "A Mad Tea Party." The one where Alice has tea with the Mad Hatter, the March Hare, and the Dormouse, and every word is a joke or a pun.

The women in the essay are kind of having their own "mad tea party."

youngishbear

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 3:48 pm
sequoia wrote:
I think actually she was referencing the most well-known chapter in "Alice in Wonderland" -- "A Mad Tea Party." The one where Alice has tea with the Mad Hatter, the March Hare, and the Dormouse, and every word is a joke or a pun.

The women in the essay are kind of having their own "mad tea party."

I know the reference in the book, but I didn't find this club mad enough to qualify. That unbirthday party was a whole different level of insane. LOL

My mind made the connection that the author found it ironic (as an American) that women in an ulta-conservative country itching for more freedom and less religious extremism would talk about joining the Tea Party. Something about her word choice probably caused me to make that association. Maybe because she used the words "be in" instead of attended, or participated... or maybe because she capitalized the phrase.

The mind is a wonderful thing. Wink

Edited

sequoia

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 3:52 pm
Yeah you're right. That didn't even OCCUR to me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> The Social Scene -> Notable Clips & Links