Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Answering the phone-don't let your kids unless u train them
1  2  Next

starfish2

Post Thu, May 10 2007, 11:56 pm
It made me feel so bad and frustrated today when I called a friend I hadn't spoken to in years let her daughter answer the phone. After being asking questions for five minutes by a five year old, she wouldn't give her mother the phone. The mother didn't take it away from her either. I don't even feel like calling her again. What chutzpah to let her daughter answer the phone and bother a caller without taking the phone away. Where is the discipline? It's so inconsiderate to let a kid talk for a long time with someone who never called for the kid in the first place. My son would never do that. We don't allow him to. He has to ask permission before answering a phone.

queen

Post Fri, May 11 2007, 12:13 am
embarrassed I was checking emails this morning at 7:45 while my 19 month old was sitting on my lap- punching/playing with my work phone. All of a sudden I hear "hello" (she had called a client!!!!) embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed
BH she was really sweet about it, and has kids of her own so she was understanding.

Then, about a half an hour later I see another client was calling me- but it was b4 my working hours, so I ignored the work phone. They called back again later in the day just to see what I had wanted this morning..... embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed

Ima'la

Post Fri, May 11 2007, 2:32 am
How about making phone calls? I remember growing up, my little sisters' friends would sometimes call, but they didn't know what to do, so I would answer the phone, "Hello?" and they would say, "Hello" and then nothing would happen until I would ask who it is and whom they want to speak to. After a while, I got annoyed with the whole thing, so I refused to play along - let the kid figure out what to do with the long awkward pauses! Immature of me, I know - but hey, I was a kid too - just a bigger one!

I also find it amusing when a kid answers and I say, "Is your mother there?" and they say, "Yes" without giving her the phone until I ask, "Can I speak to her, please?" Actually, I was just taking a survey! Kids are so literal! Very Happy

HindaRochel

Post Fri, May 11 2007, 2:44 am
A lot of children answer the phone incorrectly. It takes time to learn. Children can be confused by what is going on at the other end of the phone and need to learn that no, they can't see you nod, and when someone asks for Ima or Aba you need to give them the phone.

But learning means making mistakes, and I wouldn't want to wait with a child till they get it perfectly...just be aware and help them along or take it from them if you must. Same with all other issues; learning to eat, tie their shoes etc. etc.

One always starts out imperfect, and must of us aren't perfect at the end either...we just get a bit better at whatever....

BeershevaBubby

Post Fri, May 11 2007, 7:23 am
One of the things I hate is when someone (kids AND adults) make a call and when a person picks up, the person MAKING the call says "Who is this?" instead of "Hello, is So-and-so there?" or "This is Whomever, may I speak to XYZ?"

HindaRochel, you're right about kids needing to learn, but if the parent is sitting right next to the child and it's obvious the child is messing around, the parent needs to do something.

HindaRochel

Post Fri, May 11 2007, 7:29 am
Oh absolutely Kemilion I would hope mom dad or older sibling would rescue the caller and take the phone from the child's hand. I assume, maybe wrongly, when the child continues their odd little call with me that mom or dad is not able to get the phone...I've had that...in the bathroom or my hands full of chicken grease trying to call to the kid...Wait!

One young girl use to call and go "Hello" and then nothing...so I kept prompting her, even though I knew who it was, to get the right response.

greenfire

Post Fri, May 11 2007, 7:33 am
hey I've been on all ends of this spectrum ... things happen ... even my great mature kid once made a mistake about an important school phone message ...

another time she called her friends house only to be blocked by her little sister from giving the phone over

waited for the kid to give the mother the phone ... yes sometimes we have to ask for more than is she there ... GIVE HER THE PHONE

and I have also been told "no stop kidding around I know you are (my sister's name)" - I wasn't but ... I guess we have the same hullo voice ...

and an occasional prank is always FUN

Ima'la

Post Fri, May 11 2007, 8:15 am
ok, green, this is RIDICULOUS - are you me?!?! Yes - I had that - my sister's friend saying, haha Ima'la, I know you're really Sister'la, give OtherSis'la the phone now. I kept insisting I was Ima'la and SHE WOULD NOT BELIEVE ME! I got kinda annoyed - but she was way embarrassed when she found out it really was me! I told my sis to tell her it didn't matter b/c I didn't know who she was - and still don't to this day!

greenfire

Post Fri, May 11 2007, 8:43 am
Ima'la ... the funnier one was when a date called asking are you ready ... and I said NO ... he said why don't you wanna go and again I said NO ... but since this was more recent (and I was supposed to be an adult) I broke and gave sista the phone ... hee hee

su7kids

Post Fri, May 11 2007, 10:27 am
This is one of the reasons I had wall mounted phones when my kids were small.

If the phone rings and mom is in the shower or the bathroom, and didn't hear it, the kid could answer and talk and talk, and you think Mom's watching, but she isn't.

I definitely think kids should be taught phone ettiquete. No question.

gryp

Post Fri, May 11 2007, 10:31 am
I let my 3 year old answer the phone. 95% of the time it's family calling, and he brings me the phone after telling them everything that's happening around the house.
"Mommy's making coleslaw" "I'm eating vitamins" "the baby's sleeping"
Smile

chocolate moose

Post Fri, May 11 2007, 10:34 am
I know.

I hate the phone - any technology, whne it "doesn't work".

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Sat, May 12 2007, 10:14 pm
Aw come on, give those kids (and their mothers) some slack..

maybe the mother as mentioned was in the toilet or had dirty hands.
whats the big deal to humor a cute little kiddie for a minute or two?

poelmamosh

Post Sat, May 12 2007, 11:08 pm
I made special ringtones on the phone for when family members call, so my 3 yr DD knows she can pick up. If it's a regular ring, she just ignores it or hands me the (still ringing) phone.

HindaRochel

Post Sat, May 12 2007, 11:55 pm
Quote:
I made special ringtones on the phone for when family members call, so my 3 yr DD knows she can pick up. If it's a regular ring, she just ignores it or hands me the (still ringing) phone

That's a great idea!

starfish2

Post Sun, May 13 2007, 12:37 am
person who asked who not humor a kid for 2 minutes:

it wasn't 2 minutes, it was about five and I patiently waited and chatted with the child for two minutes, when the minutes got longer I kept hearing the mother beg her daughter for the phone and reason with her child. The child wouldn't give up the phone and the mother did nothing to take it away. I only held out long enough since I heard the mothers pleas.

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Sun, May 13 2007, 1:15 am
maybe the mother was doing something so she couldn't get to the kid and was trying to get the kid to her. like maybe nursing, or something else that made her not mobile.
anyway, there are bigger things in life to get upset about.

HindaRochel

Post Sun, May 13 2007, 1:16 am
Maybe mom couldn't get up and get the phone?

Usually if I ask the child does give me mommy...but sometimes I need to get firm. Worse comes to worse one hangs up and tries later.

What actually gets me more is when I get dialled by somones kids and the parents don't realize it. There I am shouting in the phone and I can't disconnect. Once I think my phone was tied up for a an hour or more.

But it doesn't pay to stay angry about it. Most parents are trying as hard as they can and sometimes we all fail.

raizy

Post Sun, May 13 2007, 1:47 am
yes like when I am feeding a baby. or nursing and I just cant get up and get the phone. pple think that bc they ring u up. u have to jump and answer the minete they call.

well I dont . if I am feeding my baby or putting him to sleep . I will not answer the phone I will let it ring and then later I will go and check who called . if it is important I will call back.

HindaRochel

Post Sun, May 13 2007, 1:52 am
I have gotten into conversations with kids, and my kids when they were little have gotten into conversations with other adults, thinking they were Bubbe or Zaide/Sabat or Savta. So mom may have been asking for the phone, but not too worried, thinking it was just her parents or inlaws or another family member, who probably would want to speak to child, on the other end.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics