Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Teens going off the derech and personality
Previous  1  2  3

Crayon210

Post Sun, May 13 2007, 5:29 pm
Maybe your recollections are wrong. Most two-year-olds can hardly stumble through "Torah tziva..." or "Shema Yisroel...", let alone mishnayos.

Motek

Post Sun, May 13 2007, 5:29 pm
CM - READ MY LIPS: NO 2 YEAR OLDS IN CH LEARN MISHNAYOS BY HEART

LOL

This may come as a big shock to you, I understand. But get a grip! You'll get over this!

Ruchel

Post Sun, May 13 2007, 5:33 pm
I heard of shema israel at 2 and mode ani at 3 but I have no idea....

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Sun, May 13 2007, 5:34 pm
Motek wrote:

LOL

This may come as a big shock to you, I understand. But get a grip! You'll get over this!

I'm not CM but I'm reading your lips and they are doing this funny dance..also why are you so yellow? Mr. Green

Mrs.Norris

Post Sun, May 13 2007, 7:17 pm
Motek wrote:

LOL

no need to be rude about it all! and to be quite honest how can you vouch for the 'fact' that NO two year old in CH knows mishnayos by heart? my niece knew capitals of tehillim by heart at the age of 2 so ... (but she's not from CH, maybe that's the difference ... Rolling Eyes ).

I don't think there is one certain thing that makes teenagers go 'off the derech' it could be anything I think ultimately it is very easy to blame parents but teenagers make their own choices in life and I think most become religious again (to some extent, even if they're not as chareidi as their parents)

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Sun, May 13 2007, 7:21 pm
I don't think she was being rude.
I think she was reacting in a perfectly normal way to a ludicrous suggestion that it was a common thing for 2 year olds to be learning mishnayos be'al peh

but this
Quote:
(but she's not from CH, maybe that's the difference ... Rolling Eyes ).
I find to be rude

Mrs.Norris

Post Sun, May 13 2007, 7:26 pm
because I included a sarcastic smiley face? How is that any ruder than insinuating that someone is delusional?

I find it quite amazing how some members ridicule others so freely just because they mention a concept that has previously been unheard of or say something that the other person disagrees with. In fact I wonder how the same people can preech halachah when they seem to not practice simple ahavat yisrael/common decency.

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Sun, May 13 2007, 7:31 pm
mrs norris, what would you say to me if I told you that my 17 year old son has become not frum and that I knew he would when he was six months old and he wouldn't cover his eyes for shema?

and what would you say if I repeatedly insisted that all six months olds know how to cover their eyes for shema?

(please note for those literal ones among you that my story is fictional)

Motek

Post Sun, May 13 2007, 7:45 pm
thank you estis for understanding and posting your support

mrs. norris - choc, in her original post on this point, said "if her memory served her correctly." Well, she was mistaken. I said it once. I said it again. Choc. insisted on her misinformation. I said that if a 2 yr old achieved such a feat, it was a rarity. I didn't claim it could never happen, but other than a 2 yr. old knowing "kol Yisrael" of the 12 pesukim and maamarei Chazal, I'd love to meet a 2 yr old who knows Mishnayos by heart. He would be a child prodigy and I'd be interested in finding out how his parents will be raising him, what they'll be teaching him, what special tutoring he will have etc.

That the posts went on about this as long they did, was ludicrous.

amother

Post Sun, May 13 2007, 8:26 pm
I have a brother that went totally off the derech. He rebelled so much that he doesn't want to do a mitzvah even by mistke. He was always a quiet kid who went mostly with the flow and only later did we realize what was stewing.
He has ADHD which was not diagnosed until he was already off, he jumped from school to school at some point and blames part of it on that.
We come from avery large family and although life was never perfect, everyone else is completely frum and married to good people. I remember by his Bar Mitztvah he had a really nice party but told me that one of his friends had a much nicer one and got a lot of money and he didn't.
I personally think the fact that his ADHD was never caught and worked on contributed to the problem.
I know of a few kids who are not frum and all had some issues in school that were never dealt with and I think that made them build up resentment quietly and when they were old enough they said I'm out of here.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics