Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Your Favorite Potato Recipe?
1  2  Next

AlwaysGrateful

Post Wed, Aug 26 2009, 9:53 pm
I know that you can bake them with olive oil, salt, pepper, maybe paprika or a few other spices (onion powder, garlic powder).
I know that you can put olive oil and onion soup mix on them.
I know about scallopped potatoes, usually milchik.
I know you can add onions and mushrooms under them for these recipes, or mix with sweet potatoes.

All of these are "boring" in our house, because they're just about all I make with potaotes. Any other recipes that are your family's favorites?

AlwaysGrateful

Post Wed, Aug 26 2009, 9:54 pm
And yes, I looked through the archives. Looks like these were most of the recipes mentioned.

elmos

Post Wed, Aug 26 2009, 10:26 pm
I make a cross between hashbrowns and paprikash potatoes. I saute onion till soft then add thinly sliced potatoes does not have to be perfect slices comes out better if thinnish. Mix it thru season with salt and pepper( can also use paprika & onion powder) keep cooking on low flame stirring frequently till well cooked they will fall apart and you will have some lumps in it. IF it gets dry add a bit of water to it.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 26 2009, 10:46 pm
We love
crispy red potatoes (oil and spices in pan, red potatoes cut in half, open side down on spices)
crispy oven fries (potatoes cut into thin french fry shapes, with oil, curry and salt)
parsley red bliss potatoes (baby potatoes cooked in sauteed onions, lots or paprika and parsley)
spicy sweet potato fries (made with cumin, garlic powder, pepper...)
sweet potato coins (oil and salt)
baked potato with a margarine/garlic/parsley spread or with a fat free roasted garlic spread
I'm sure there's more, I just have to think a little more into it!

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Aug 27 2009, 7:07 am
mashed potato, either with roasted garlic or oozing with butter, milk and melted cheddar!

baby potatoes baked in the oven (first parboil for 5min or so) with cracked pepper and/or rosemary

shopaholic

Post Thu, Aug 27 2009, 9:25 am
Low fat: Wash potatoes. Cut into wedges. Spray pan. Lay down the potatoes. Spray them with PAM. Sprinkle salt, pepper, thyme. Bake on 400 until browned, uncovered.

Not Low fat: Wash & cube potatoes. Pour oil, salt, pepper, onion soup mix, paprika. Bake at 400, covered until cooked.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Aug 27 2009, 10:33 am
I was going to start a potato thread, and ramp it up a bit - any recipes that can be frozen?

AlwaysGrateful

Post Thu, Aug 27 2009, 11:06 am
It's funny, I'm looking through here, and although some look really good, others...look sort of like the examples I posted above. Add salt, pepper, olive oil, and X. Possibly onion soup mix. Put in oven and bake. Does it taste that different if you put thyme on instead of paprika? Or rosemary? Or parsley? I mean, I know that spices do make things taste differently. But are these all that different?

Also, I know I'm being picky, but I'm really looking for Shabbos recipes (should have said that originally). French fries, baked potatoes, and mashed potatoes probably wouldn't go over well here on Shabbos. Thank you for the ideas, though. Any more?

solo

Post Thu, Aug 27 2009, 11:13 am
potatoes. for shabbos. theres 2 ways to do it - baked as u described or as a kugel
if ur not concerned bout calories my mom used to make us chremslach - kinda like a latke but fried
also I make baked root vegetables which everyone loves

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 27 2009, 11:47 am
This is our favorite Shabbos potato recipe:
Baby Red Potatoes
Ingredients
• 1 package baby red potatoes
• 1 onion, diced
• paprika
• salt
• parsley
Preparation
Scrub potatoes well.
Sauté onion until translucent.
Add potatoes to pot. Pour just enough water for potatoes to cook. Add paprika and salt to taste.
Simmer for 30 minutes, or until potatoes are soft.
Add parsley, cook for another few minutes.

smile

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 7:50 am
ra_mom wrote:
This is our favorite Shabbos potato recipe:
Baby Red Potatoes
Ingredients
• 1 package baby red potatoes
• 1 onion, diced
• paprika
• salt
• parsley
Preparation
Scrub potatoes well.
Sauté onion until translucent.
Add potatoes to pot. Pour just enough water for potatoes to cook. Add paprika and salt to taste.
Simmer for 30 minutes, or until potatoes are soft.
Add parsley, cook for another few minutes.

Can I leave it on blech till shabbos morning or is it a Friday night recipe?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 10:21 am
smile wrote:
Can I leave it on blech till shabbos morning or is it a Friday night recipe?

It's for Friday night. Maybe leave a potato kugel with extra water on top overnight on the blech?

smile

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 10:34 am
I have a bad back this week so wanted something quick for shabbos morning.
Kugel is to much work now and my family want a break of tshulent. Potato salad is also a no go.
But it should be something preferable with potatoes.

BeHappy!

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 11:42 am
Potato knishes/blintzes

smile

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 11:45 am
BeHappy! wrote:
Potato knishes/blintzes

To much work.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 1:19 pm
smile wrote:
I have a bad back this week so wanted something quick for shabbos morning.
Kugel is to much work now and my family want a break of tshulent. Potato salad is also a no go.
But it should be something preferable with potatoes.

You can put these potatoes on the blech shabbos morning. They aren't liquidy, just a drop saucy from sautéed onions.

Or add a sealed crockpot bag of the raw, seasoned ingredients (mini potatoes, chopped onions, oil, paprika, salt, pepper) to the crockpot on top of your cholent and it will be ready to serve at the day meal.

smile

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 1:34 pm
ra_mom wrote:
You can put these potatoes on the blech shabbos morning. They aren't liquidy, just a drop saucy from sautéed onions.

What about the water you covered and cooked them or do I remove the water?
Also can I use normal cubed potatoes?

pickle321

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 1:40 pm
http://spicysouthernkitchen.co.....toes/

These are really good. (I skip the thyme)

mommy100

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 1:41 pm
the balabusta choice #2 has a delicious recipe where you grate 5 pot add eggs oil salt and pepper. then you bake it on a cookie sheet for 45 min and roll it up with whatever filling you want inside. liver sauteed onion etc

smile

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 2:00 pm
pickle321 wrote:
http://spicysouthernkitchen.com/melting-potatoes/

These are really good. (I skip the thyme)

Won't it get soggy shabbos morning if I heat them up?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes