Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Baby girl kiddush
Previous  1  2

Raisin

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 6:17 pm
I think the inyan is having a simcha where people are giving brachos and good wishes to the baby. Not that it necessarily needs to be a kiddush. So it can be on sunday or any day.

With one baby we didn't make a kiddush for various reasons. (we made one when she turned bas mitzva (as well as a party) so hopefully that counts. With baby girl two we made a kiddush in our house due to the eruv issue, and baby girl three we made it in shul.

I also love not having the whole bris stress when a girl is born. Because we had time to plan properly, we actually had nicer kiddushim for out daughters then brissim. (which were last minute, not at convenient times, hardly anyone came to some of them)

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 8:11 pm
Different people say different things. Many gedolim I have heard connect it with the naming, and hold it should be done the same day as the naming. This doesn't necessarily need to be on Shabbos. With my first daughter, we made a tikkun in shul with some cookies/cake/drinks on the Thursday morning she was named. The next one was born Friday night and named the next morning, before anyone even knew we had a baby, so no kiddush, but I think my husband walked to my in-laws to pick up the rest of the kids and let them know we had a baby named ___ and they made a l'chayim there. My next one was born Friday at lunch time and named Shabbos morning, no time to prepare a kiddush (we davened in a yeshiva with no kiddush we could just sponsor). And B"H we named our newest one this morning, but there was someone else naming theirs too at the same minyan (same name as well Wink ) and they made a tikkun...and we did not...my husband didn't have time to stick around after, he actually had to leave a little early to get my kids to school. The other new father did not get an aliyah to name his daughter, BTW.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 8:21 pm
Interesting that someone wrote that a gadol says itsvnot required because
. I asked a shaila to a rav who said that I must make a kiddish but it can be as simple as some cake /cookies after shacharis on a regular day we did this and I liked it because I hate having to spend a lot of money for a bris/I need the money for diapers and formula!!/ and I hate the pressure of everything having to be done in 8 days!!
. So I guess different rabbis hold different things --like everything else.

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 10:31 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Different people say different things. Many gedolim I have heard connect it with the naming, and hold it should be done the same day as the naming. This doesn't necessarily need to be on Shabbos. With my first daughter, we made a tikkun in shul with some cookies/cake/drinks on the Thursday morning she was named. The next one was born Friday night and named the next morning, before anyone even knew we had a baby, so no kiddush, but I think my husband walked to my in-laws to pick up the rest of the kids and let them know we had a baby named ___ and they made a l'chayim there. My next one was born Friday at lunch time and named Shabbos morning, no time to prepare a kiddush (we davened in a yeshiva with no kiddush we could just sponsor). And B"H we named our newest one this morning, but there was someone else naming theirs too at the same minyan (same name as well Wink ) and they made a tikkun...and we did not...my husband didn't have time to stick around after, he actually had to leave a little early to get my kids to school. The other new father did not get an aliyah to name his daughter, BTW.

Mazal tov!

GetReal

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 11:11 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

Mazal tov! Much much nachas!

happybeingamom

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 11:23 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

Mazel Tov

Nicole

Post Thu, Oct 29 2015, 11:31 pm
Mazel tov! I was wondering why you didn't pm me back.... 😀

sunny90

Post Fri, Oct 30 2015, 1:33 am
Mazel tov HashemYaazor!
spring13 wrote:
Yeah, it's a perk Smile But the problem with no set timeframe is that some people put it off indefinitely. And throwing a party for a baby 7 months after the birth is pretty anticlimactic!

Right...my husband says if we have a girl his limit is a kiddush a month after and thats it! He says after that no one remembers or cares that you had a baby...but I'm going to try to push it to 6 weeks so we really have time.
If it's a girl.
Which is unlikely. Tongue Out

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, Oct 30 2015, 1:45 am
A family we know waited till their dd was 5 so that she could enjoy her own party. Whatever rings your chimes.

sushi galore

Post Fri, Oct 30 2015, 3:07 am
esheschayil wrote:
I once heard of a gadol who told a girl's parents that the reason she was having trouble - I think it was in finding a shidduch - was because they had never made a kiddush for her. They made her a kiddush then, when she was grown already, and then everything was okay, but I don't remember who the gadol was.

I heard this in connection with a family of 5 girls. They never had a kiddush. They went to a rebbi for brachos.. the rebbi asked if they had a kiddush when they were born. When the parents said no, the rebbi instructed them to make a kiddush right away, so then they can get married. That Shabbos a kiddush was made for all 5 girls and lo and behold they all got married within the next 2-3 yrs.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Oct 30 2015, 10:54 am
Thanks everyone, and yes, Nicole, I have even more to respond now, lol Smile

bandcm

Post Fri, Oct 30 2015, 2:08 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

Mazel tov!

observer

Post Fri, Oct 30 2015, 2:14 pm
Wow, mazel tov!

CatLady

Post Fri, Oct 30 2015, 3:11 pm
Mazal tov!

Another mom

Post Sat, Oct 31 2015, 2:20 pm
bluebird wrote:
Not the source for it, but this happened on an episode of Srugim. Smile One of the women wasn't getting married and a mekubal(?) told her it was because her parents must not have made a kiddush for her. So she set about throwing herself one at a shul where no one knew her. It did not go well. Wink

ן SAW THAT TOOֱ and from then on ppl talked about it! Who paskins from a TV show???
Maybe some recent rebbe said it but dh told me that it's not in the poskim.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Nov 01 2015, 9:25 am
I heard this concept years before Serugim ever started, maybe 15 years ago? So I highly doubt that is the 'source'. The problem is that the names I have heard connected with that inyan all differ, so that doesn't really help much either.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sat, Nov 07 2015, 7:01 pm
It's not strictly Kiddush, but our siddur (including the ones published good 80-100years ago) has a section on Zeved haBat. I thought the reason for Kiddush has more to do with the mother who is required to say hagomel most often in front of the hechal (hence zeved habit is often done well after the baby was named, but wait till the mother is well enough). I'm quite positive Ben Ish Hai said something on this, though can't find the source right now.

bluebird

Post Sat, Nov 07 2015, 9:27 pm
Another mom wrote:
ן SAW THAT TOOֱ and from then on ppl talked about it! Who paskins from a TV show???
Maybe some recent rebbe said it but dh told me that it's not in the poskim.

Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I heard this concept years before Serugim ever started, maybe 15 years ago? So I highly doubt that is the 'source'. The problem is that the names I have heard connected with that inyan all differ, so that doesn't really help much either.

Folks, I never claimed it was a "source." I was just relating a funny little anecdote. Smile
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions