Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Shtisel - WITH spoilers :) including season 3
  Previous  1  2  3   75  76  77  Next

bfg

Post Sat, Nov 07 2015, 9:43 pm
Is season 2 available with english subtitles?

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 1:12 am
bfg wrote:
Is season 2 available with english subtitles?
I dont think so. I never found season 1 with english.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 1:13 am
As for believability, about akiva and libi, thats more believable than his beyond strange relationship with elisheva in the first season, no?

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 1:26 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
As for believability, about akiva and libi, thats more believable than his beyond strange relationship with elisheva in the first season, no?

True, that story line didn't make sense.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 1:29 am
amother wrote:
True, that story line didn't make sense.
Of course not Smile but its a soap opera Wink so the story lines have to be a bit not believable but I think the show has been very charedi friendly and nothing against charedim. Just a lot of stories that are very unrealistic Smile but thats what makes it a good an fun show.
And is anyone else loving all of the yiddish? Its hard to read the subtitles so fast.

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 1:36 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Of course not Smile but its a soap opera Wink so the story lines have to be a bit not believable but I think the show has been very charedi friendly and nothing against charedim. Just a lot of stories that are very unrealistic Smile but thats what makes it a good an fun show.
And is anyone else loving all of the yiddish? Its hard to read the subtitles so fast.

I understand the Yiddish better then the Hebrew. Then I say to myself why am I reading the subtitles, I understand that less. The whole thing is totally entertaining.

Is this marketed as a Soap Opera or a Drama?

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 1:39 am
amother wrote:
I understand the Yiddish better then the Hebrew. Then I say to myself why am I reading the subtitles, I understand that less. The whole thing is totally entertaining.

Is this marketed as a Soap Opera or a Drama?
Smile I dont know. I just meant it is tv so it does not have to be believable.

cuffs

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 1:58 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I dont think so. I never found season 1 with english.

On DVD there is English subtitles. But watching it in Hebrew now is good for me Smile I'm so proud of myself!

Sadie

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 2:48 am
cuffs wrote:
On DVD there is English subtitles. But watching it in Hebrew now is good for me Smile I'm so proud of myself!

The show is great for practicing Hebrew. The dialogue is not high level but it's useful, everyday vocabulary- and it comes with Hebrew subtitles. When I watch I have google translate open on my phone and I pause the show and look up any words that I don't know. When I first started watching Season 1 I had to pause and look up words several times in each scene, now I barely have to. This helps with both vocabulary and spelling.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 5:31 am
Sorry for one long response, but here are some examples:

-Elisheva was not chassidish. I think her second husband was even clean shaven. The whole shidduch with her and Akiva made no sense - besides for the fact that she was an older widow, but everyone was only bothered by the widow aspect.

-Gitty is supposed to be chassidish too, but she doesn't dress chassidish, more like very yeshivish. Her hair is always showing when she wears a snood. In real life, she would shave her head and not wear a sheitel!

-The tznius of the women is not always portrayed well. Ruchomi and sometimes Libi's shirts are too tight, especially when they wear blouses. Ruchomi would never be allowed into school with shirts like that - you can almost see straight in from the way the shirt is pulled apart between the buttons! The way young Libi was dressed in the lemon scene, was totally off.

-What's with the characters constantly chain smoking? There are many chassidish, yeshivish, chareidi people who don't smoke. It's very stereotypical anti-chareidi.

-Shulem - I think he is one big anti-chareidi stereotype. He is the controlling father/cheder principal, who is unrealistic, loves to eat and constantly smokes. He has a soft side, which makes him more likable, but in general, he is portrayed as someone who doesn't quite get it and doesn't understand much outside of his gemarah.

-Nuchem - what is he Neturei Karta? Rishoim Arrurim! Did they have to add that in and make it seem like every other chareidi man is nuts?

Seriously, I wish they would show just one normal chareidi man. It seems like all the men besides Akiva are weirdos but everyone thinks Akiva is weird. In real life, Akiva, as a sweet boy, a real mentsch, with a job as a rebbi, would not have such a hard time finding a shidduch.

-The whole story of Lipa and Gitti is one big stereotype. Chassidish couple gets married off young before they know what they are doing. They have no money and no way of getting jobs, since they don't get a normal education. Husband runs off with non-Jewish woman and his wife welcomes him back with open arms. They have no clue about birth control and have another kid, when they shouldn't. Husband is so naive that he invests all his money with some guy who is probably a con artist and will lose it all. I think if you would ask any anti-chareidi person to come up with a story about chareidim, they would come up with almost the same story line.

-There would never be TV's in that nursing home - I've actually been inside of it.

-In general, the characters are not chassidish enough to be living in Meah Shearim. I mean, they go on dates! They would be much more realistic if the men didn't have curly peyos, if Akiva was clean shaven (he would grow a beard after he was married with 3 kids) and they lived in Givat Shaul, Sanhedria or Ramot.
One of my favorite scenes was on their "date" when Libi says, they didn't tell me you had green eyes and Akiva responds, they didn't tell me you were so pretty. That was such a great scene, but in real life, that conversation would only happen after they were married.

-I think they are lacking religious life scenes. I know they're not trying to portray that, but for someone from a chareidi life, religion is such a big part of their life. Why is there no shabbos, yom tov, succos, chanuka, pesach? Besides for making shehakol (on vegetables?!) and some gemarah scenes, they are missing a large part of what makes someone chareidi.

-For the person who asked for insider jokes. I have to try to remember them all. I love the series and as I watch, I alternate between laughing at how they totally "got it" and laughing at how they totally didn't. Smile

The "top guy in Brisk," made me laugh. Although, that's a yeshivish thing, not really chassidish, so wouldn't work for this family.
Pizza Uri had me rolling! Especially when the kid asks for extra sauce! Everyone knows Pizza Uri is the best pizza in Geulah and they are famous for their sauce.
As I mentioned before, specifying the Bet Hachlama in Telz Stone was very cute.

I think this was long enough...I'll have to takes notes during the next show!

rainbow dash

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 6:58 am
Woah woah woah. I haven't seen season 1 but will once my internet is fixed. ( in phone now ) why did lipa run off with a non Jew. Can someone tell me what happened. Is elishava one of akivas engagements that broke of in the end?

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 7:53 am
amother wrote:

-Elisheva was not chassidish. I think her second husband was even clean shaven. The whole shidduch with her and Akiva made no sense - besides for the fact that she was an older widow, but everyone was only bothered by the widow aspect.

-Gitty is supposed to be chassidish too, but she doesn't dress chassidish, more like very yeshivish. Her hair is always showing when she wears a snood. In real life, she would shave her head and not wear a sheitel!

-The tznius of the women is not always portrayed well. Ruchomi and sometimes Libi's shirts are too tight, especially when they wear blouses. Ruchomi would never be allowed into school with shirts like that - you can almost see straight in from the way the shirt is pulled apart between the buttons! The way young Libi was dressed in the lemon scene, was totally off.

-What's with the characters constantly chain smoking? There are many chassidish, yeshivish, chareidi people who don't smoke. It's very stereotypical anti-chareidi.

-Shulem - I think he is one big anti-chareidi stereotype. He is the controlling father/cheder principal, who is unrealistic, loves to eat and constantly smokes. He has a soft side, which makes him more likable, but in general, he is portrayed as someone who doesn't quite get it and doesn't understand much outside of his gemarah.

-Nuchem - what is he Neturei Karta? Rishoim Arrurim! Did they have to add that in and make it seem like every other chareidi man is nuts?

Seriously, I wish they would show just one normal chareidi man. It seems like all the men besides Akiva are weirdos but everyone thinks Akiva is weird. In real life, Akiva, as a sweet boy, a real mentsch, with a job as a rebbi, would not have such a hard time finding a shidduch.

-The whole story of Lipa and Gitti is one big stereotype. Chassidish couple gets married off young before they know what they are doing. They have no money and no way of getting jobs, since they don't get a normal education. Husband runs off with non-Jewish woman and his wife welcomes him back with open arms. They have no clue about birth control and have another kid, when they shouldn't. Husband is so naive that he invests all his money with some guy who is probably a con artist and will lose it all. I think if you would ask any anti-chareidi person to come up with a story about chareidim, they would come up with almost the same story line.

-There would never be TV's in that nursing home - I've actually been inside of it.

-In general, the characters are not chassidish enough to be living in Meah Shearim. I mean, they go on dates! They would be much more realistic if the men didn't have curly peyos, if Akiva was clean shaven (he would grow a beard after he was married with 3 kids) and they lived in Givat Shaul, Sanhedria or Ramot.
One of my favorite scenes was on their "date" when Libi says, they didn't tell me you had green eyes and Akiva responds, they didn't tell me you were so pretty. That was such a great scene, but in real life, that conversation would only happen after they were married.

-I think they are lacking religious life scenes. I know they're not trying to portray that, but for someone from a chareidi life, religion is such a big part of their life. Why is there no shabbos, yom tov, succos, chanuka, pesach? Besides for making shehakol (on vegetables?!) and some gemarah scenes, they are missing a large part of what makes someone chareidi.

-For the person who asked for insider jokes. I have to try to remember them all. I love the series and as I watch, I alternate between laughing at how they totally "got it" and laughing at how they totally didn't. Smile

The "top guy in Brisk," made me laugh. Although, that's a yeshivish thing, not really chassidish, so wouldn't work for this family.
Pizza Uri had me rolling! Especially when the kid asks for extra sauce! Everyone knows Pizza Uri is the best pizza in Geulah and they are famous for their sauce.

Good points about not being accurate.

I still disagree about anti charedi, I have watched quite a few Israeli anti charedi shows and they are real negative, in this show it is about the personalities of the characters not how religion controls them. Sholom's personality I just see it as just his personality, I could see a non charedi character with the same personality too.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 8:03 am
which assisted living place is the grandmother in? you said youve been inside? Its a "real" one?

Also, with all of the inaccuracies? Its just a show. Of course its not real. Its just tv. I dont think it is intentionally anti charedi at all.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 8:27 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
which assisted living place is the grandmother in? you said youve been inside? Its a "real" one?

Yes, it always shows the outside of Shomrei Hachomos on Rechov Maagalei Harim in Sanhedria Murchevet, although the inside scenes don't look anything like the real inside of that nursing home.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 11:24 am
amother wrote:

The characters are yerushalmi , not chassidish so all the inconsistencies you point out are not wrong. Yerushalmim don't shave their hair, top guy in brisk - that's what they're looking for.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 3:58 pm
amother wrote:
The characters are yerushalmi , not chassidish so all the inconsistencies you point out are not wrong. Yerushalmim don't shave their hair, top guy in brisk - that's what they're looking for.

Interesting. The Yerushalmim in my neighborhood look very different. Do they also go out on real dates?

WastingTime

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 4:16 pm
I watched whatever I could find of seasons 1 and 2 on youtube- which amounted to like 3-4 shows. Would love to see more!!
Are you watching season 3 on youtube? If not where? Gotta catch up!

I agree, its a TV show, they get the background more or less right (clothes mostly, yiddish phrases) but the subtleties (back to where I saw- Akiva going in to the bank, asking out Elisheva and calling her by name?---not to mention what did he like about her- she's decent looking but like why did he suddenly fall in love with his student's widowed mother??) are definitely off.
The bubbie and her "frank" boyfriend had me laughing out loud- she talks in Yiddish him in Farsi ( I think that's what it was). I guess all grandmothers love the Y&R LOL. Mine used to watch As the World Turns actually!

I read a review on the show which had a good point- people like it because its all about the characters and not like everything else totally swallowed up by all the relations scenes.

It's kinda weird to think that these characters- especially the men, are just dressing up. What do they do with the beard and peyos in between filmings?

In response to:

This is obviously a gross generalization. There are many many types of chassidim. And there are chassidim who are just "klal chassidim". I know many women whose husbands wear streimels and they wear a sheitel- with nothing on top. (That sheitel looks awful on her--she needs bangs!) And NOT ALL CHASSIDIM SHAVE THEIR HEADS! I would need some chassidish women to vouch for me here, but I would venture that more don't than do.

I missed a lot of the part where Lipa is missing, just saw dramatic clips of how Ruchami wanted to shoot him.

Akiva and Libi was obvious but first cousins? Maybe its a stereotype that charedim don't know anything about basic health issues.

Please let me know where I can see more.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 4:37 pm
The peyos are definitely fake. There is a clip on you tube showing them gluing them onto Akiva. The beards are probably fake too.

Sadie

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 4:53 pm
I'm re-watching season 1 and some of the concerns are addressed. The retirement home is not supposed to be super Chasidish. The bubbe orders a TV to her room after she sees one in her friend Rebetzin Erbelech's room. Rebetzin Erbelech is a TOTAL rebel. She does whatever she wants and doesn't care what anyone thinks. The bubbe's kids are really concerned about her TV watching and try to stop her. Tzvi Ariyeh says something like "I could tell this wasn't going to be our kind of nursing home".

For Shulem and Aliza using first names, they had a kind of secret relationship in the beginning. They only used first names when alone and switched to titles when other people were around. It wasn't s*xual, but he would come and have dinner at her house. She was starting to fall for him and wanted to have a real relationship and he was in mourning for his wife and was kind of using her for comfort but was totally oblivious to her feelings. Just watched the first 2 episodes of season 1 and there is a lot of nuance I forgot because I saw it so long ago.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Nov 08 2015, 5:03 pm
Sadie wrote:
I'm re-watching season 1 and some of the concerns are addressed. The retirement home is not supposed to be super Chasidish. The bubbe orders a TV to her room after she sees one in her friend Rebetzin Erbelech's room. Rebetzin Erbelech is a TOTAL rebel. She does whatever she wants and doesn't care what anyone thinks. The bubbe's kids are really concerned about her TV watching and try to stop her. Tzvi Ariyeh says something like "I could tell this wasn't going to be our kind of nursing home".

I agree with this. I was just pointing out that they show the outside of a real nursing home that does not have TV's in real life.
Page 2 of 77   Previous  1  2  3   75  76  77  Next Recent Topics