Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Children riding in front seat of car!
Previous  1  2  3

amother

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 7:13 pm
We are talking about something ILLEGAL!!!!!

ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL

hisorerus

Post Wed, Jul 05 2006, 8:04 pm
Amother, it is NOT illegal in most states.
NOT ILLEGAL, NOT ILLEGAL, NOT ILLEGAL.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 9:46 am
soon IT WILL BE!!!

mumsy23

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 10:01 am
I have to agree with carrot on this one. There really is a bdei eved when it comes to everything, even your child's safety. You try to do the best you can under the circumstances, but when the "best you can" isnt "the best", thats "bidei eved."

It really is impossible to do everything 100% the safest because then we wouldn't live our lives. Almost everything has a possible risk factor but we must weigh the benefits against the risks and make our decisions.

One might say that the benefit of being part of a carpool is not great enough to put a child in the front, but when you have a busy mother with many children and little time, the benefit maybe far greater than you think.

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 10:37 am
I think the lchatchila here would be to not to put your child in a carpool where a child would have to sit in the front in the first place.
I think the risks outweigh the benfits.
But hey, thats just my opinion. Thank g-d it is COMPLETELY illegal in Toronto so I don't have to worry about that. A child by law has to be in a booster seat until they are like 8 years old here. I don't think its very CONVENIENT, but much much SAFER, which is the name of the game.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 12:02 pm
Finally some posters who see my side of things. Hi carrot, hisorerus, etc....

When a child is big enough to be buckled safely and there is no airbag, the risk factor of him sitting in the front is equal to that of an adult, although he might be even safer (children aren't as injured in car accidents because they are natuarally more relaxed, and it's harder for bones to break when they're not rigid).
If your husbands were in a carpool, would you ask your husband not to be the one to sit in the front since it's the unsafest seat? No one ever thinks of that. But it's really the same scenario.

Plane rides you may say are extremely dangerous because the risk of surviving a crash is not good at all, but the risk of having a crash is minute, and people still fly.

I think we have other issues to focus on in the carpool scene (booster seats, double buckling, etc) before we try to make this revolution.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 12:03 pm
only1 wrote:
I think the lchatchila here would be to not to put your child in a carpool where a child would have to sit in the front in the first place.
I think the risks outweigh the benfits.
But hey, thats just my opinion. Thank g-d it is COMPLETELY illegal in Toronto so I don't have to worry about that. A child by law has to be in a booster seat until they are like 8 years old here. I don't think its very CONVENIENT, but much much SAFER, which is the name of the game.

We aren't talking about 5 year olds here -- we are talking about kids who have outgrown booster seats, in which case they have the same status as an adult with regards to safety in the front seat without an airbag!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 12:05 pm
amother wrote:
You are all crazy!!!!

I hope it becomes illegal in your state soon.

Shoulve Wouldve Couldve.....Imagine....

Make waht illegal?
Should we take out the front seat altogether?
The safety issue here is the same for older children and adults and it will never be made illegal for children to ride in the front if there is no airbag and they are big enough to fit in a seat belt without a booster seat. It's not unsafe. It's just not the safest.

Tefila

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 12:22 pm
Quote:

lol.
I heard cannot factually say until I see it written Confused but they r not making 8 seater vans anymore could be just the one that my friend has the ventura, b/c I havent heard anything about the Toyoto sienna . The reason given was officially they have found out it's not safe, can't imagine why Scratching Head

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 12:57 pm
Tefila wrote:
Quote:

lol.
I heard cannot factually say until I see it written Confused but they r not making 8 seater vans anymore could be just the one that my friend has the ventura, b/c I havent heard anything about the Toyoto sienna . The reason given was officially they have found out it's not safe, can't imagine why Scratching Head

Yeah, the Astro and Safaris are not being made anymore -- that's what my parents have (one of each).
But I don't think this was a safety thing, as much as not a market for them, since they drive like trucks.
8 seater vans are not safety issues -- they just have 2 bench seats instead of bucket seats. Perhaps they have less shoulder/lap belts and more jsut lap belts? But the back seat still has the lap belt in the middle, so this makes no sense.

At one point, there were 9 seater vans -- a middle front seat, but I don't think that's so safe because the driver doesn't have room, etc.

granolamom

Post Thu, Jul 06 2006, 6:21 pm
ok, I guess bottom line here is that you can't assume other people have the same feelings you do on the matter. so if you don't want your child in the front seat or double buckled, clarify before joining a carpool.

justanothermother

Post Fri, Apr 27 2007, 1:32 am

Last edited by justanothermother on Sun, Mar 02 2008, 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Imaonwheels

Post Wed, May 16 2007, 1:09 am
In Israel no child may sit in the front by law until 14. The exception is rear facing car seats for babies. In most cases these are used only when necessary. If Mom and baby have to do long trips alone or very large families where even the van or minivan is maxed out. Pvt cars here are allowed 4 passengers or station wagons 6 if the extra seats are installed professionally and approved by the insurance. Minivans and SUVs 6 (3 rows) and reg vans 8-10.

JRKmommy

Post Wed, May 16 2007, 1:28 am
Imaonwheels wrote:
In Israel no child may sit in the front by law until 14. The exception is rear facing car seats for babies. In most cases these are used only when necessary. If Mom and baby have to do long trips alone or very large families where even the van or minivan is maxed out. Pvt cars here are allowed 4 passengers or station wagons 6 if the extra seats are installed professionally and approved by the insurance. Minivans and SUVs 6 (3 rows) and reg vans 8-10.

I'm curious about all of this.

1 - is the law actually followed? Maybe it's just dh's family, but I found attitudes and knowledge re car seats very different in Israel than here, to the point that I had to constantly insist that my 5 mo old baby really did need to ride in a rear-facing car seat whenever she was in a car.

2 - I can't understand the exception for rear-facing car seats for babies. If the car has an airbag - and most cars nowadays do - that's the most dangerous situation.

3. I can't see why it would be necessary to have the rear-facing car seat in the front. I've driven plenty of times with my baby in the back and no one else in the car. You feed the baby before heading out, and if you need to tend to the baby, you find a gas station or some other safe place to pull over. There's not a lot that a mom could do to tend to a baby while driving, even if the baby was in the front.

4. If the van is full - why wouldn't you put the oldest passenger in the front seat instead of the baby?

Newsie

Post Wed, May 16 2007, 5:17 am
I agree, it makes me CRAZY everytime I see a baby carseat in the front seat and everyone does it. I couldn't believe that it was allowed.

hila

Post Wed, May 16 2007, 5:31 am
The law is that the baby can sit in teh rear facing seat in the front ONLY IF THE AIRBAG IS NOT ACTIVATED (in Israel)

however ther is also a law about having everyone in the car using a seatbelt, and many people do not keep that law either.

some people feel I am mean that I will not give a tremp to a mother with a young baby without a carseat.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics